Welcome Curtis Main

1 hour ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Let’s give the guy a chance

We might just suit him

Welcome aboard

Agree , as I’ve said elsewhere I’ll give full support to anyone who pulls on the stripes and give them the chance to show what they can do. 

( here’s the caveat !).  Some who arrive with underwhelming  stats may stretch the patience a wee bit .  I hope Main rams my doubts down my throat just as I hoped Morais would ( He Didn’t !) Erwin would ( he hasn’t ) and I’m sure many others .

17 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Another striker with below average scoring record. Can only hope he finds his touch with us

He's more a pressing forward than a striker. If he complements Dennis/ Brophy up front and allows others to bang the goals in, good times. 

Bottom line is this is the market we are in. Up to player and manager to make them more prolific up front. Plus they need decent service. Look at Scotland last night against Luxembourg. Quality service, below average finishing. Hopeful with Kiltie coming in that we look attractive to players again as a destination 

6 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

😂

Translation - he’s a striker who doesn’t score many goals 

A very dated view of forward players in the modern day. Striker role is one of many. Brophy isn’t an out and out goal scorer & was good enough for a Scotland cap while at Kilmarnock. 

Just now, bazil85 said:

A very dated view of forward players in the modern day. Striker role is one of many. Brophy isn’t an out and out goal scorer & was good enough for a Scotland cap while at Kilmarnock. 

So, expecting a striker to score a few goals is dated.... FFS 😂

The reason Brophy ended up at St Mirren and not someone bigger is because those bigger clubs also have dated views on what a striker should contribute 🤡

20 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

So, expecting a striker to score a few goals is dated.... FFS 😂

The reason Brophy ended up at St Mirren and not someone bigger is because those bigger clubs also have dated views on what a striker should contribute 🤡

No 🤦‍♂️ Thinking that out & out goal scoring strikers is the only forward positions in a modern day football team is. 

He wasn’t banging in 20+ goals a season when he was deemed good enough for a Scotland cap. Strange that would happen if being a forward player was ONLY defined by how many goals you score, seems almost like you’re wrong 🤷‍♂️

38 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It doesn't matter who scores the goals.

A player needs to be either scoring or creating for others to score.

As long as someone is putting them away I couldn't care less whose name gets on the sheet.

More meaningless sound bites. :1eye

I'd counter that with having a guy who can bang in 12-15 every season would improve the chances of us being more successful, maybe someone like Thompson. 

Maybe that's why goal scorers generally cost more than defenders? 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

More meaningless sound bites. :1eye

I'd counter that with having a guy who can bang in 12-15 every season would improve the chances of us being more successful, maybe someone like Thompson. 

Maybe that's why goal scorers generally cost more than defenders? 

It's also why, IMO it should be taken with a pinch of salt when people moan that St Mirren haven't signed someone that regularly scores 12-15+ a season at a good level. The expectation is too high given the premium on these players. The choices are usually 

- Someone who has maybe been a bit off the boil recently but has shown their capability previously. (Curtis Main)  

- A young player with potential to make the step up. (Ross Stewart)

- Someone who has recently been banging them in at a noticeably lower level. (Kristian Dennis)

All these type of players have significantly more risk than a proven goal scorer at our level but there's a reason they're far more plentiful and accessible. 

4 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

It's also why, IMO it should be taken with a pinch of salt when people moan that St Mirren haven't signed someone that regularly scores 12-15+ a season at a good level. The expectation is too high given the premium on these players. The choices are usually 

- Someone who has maybe been a bit off the boil recently but has shown their capability previously. (Curtis Main)  

- A young player with potential to make the step up. (Ross Stewart)

- Someone who has recently been banging them in at a noticeably lower level. (Kristian Dennis)

All these type of players have significantly more risk than a proven goal scorer at our level but there's a reason they're far more plentiful and accessible. 

What do you class as showing capability previously?

I've looked at Mains scoring record, can't find anything resembling that he's showed he's capable? 

Off the boil..........................never been close to boiling TBH. 

His BEST league tally was 8 from 38 games in the English league 1. 

14 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Someone who has recently been banging them in at a noticeably lower level. (Kristian Dennis)

Leicester City done alright out of it. :rolleyes: