Welcome Curtis Main

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He's been playing on an ankle or heel injury most of last season that needed surgery. To answer the question, yes he is still recovering but I think he's back in full training.

I think in the last 3 or 4 games of the season, he showed that he could potentially have something to offer under a different system, so I'm definitely not for writing him off just yet. I remember Michael Higdon only scored 3 or 4 goals in his first season with us and was almost universally disliked.

So he’s been playing with an Ankle or heel injury which miraculously got better for the last 4 games of the season ? 

Nah , not buying it .  Surely injuries clear up or need treatment to clear them up early . Nothing to do with a new boss coming in and him thinking, “Shit , I’d better get my finger out and stop being a useless lump of wood “

Oh ,  & btw , perhaps he also thought “this new Kiwi guy they’ve brought In who’s never played at this level really is showing me up “

And lastly from me , yes he played better in the last 3 or 4 games but he was hardly the f**king messiah !! He simply got a wee bit nearer to where we need Premier level players to be . 

21 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

So he’s been playing with an Ankle or heel injury which miraculously got better for the last 4 games of the season ? 

Nah , not buying it .  Surely injuries clear up or need treatment to clear them up early . Nothing to do with a new boss coming in and him thinking, “Shit , I’d better get my finger out and stop being a useless lump of wood “

Oh ,  & btw , perhaps he also thought “this new Kiwi guy they’ve brought In who’s never played at this level really is showing me up “

And lastly from me , yes he played better in the last 3 or 4 games but he was hardly the f**king messiah !! He simply got a wee bit nearer to where we need Premier level players to be . 

You are not a massive fan of Main.

Just a guess.

6 minutes ago, Rascal said:

You are not a massive fan of Main.

Just a guess.

I’ve been clear from the start . EVERY player who pulls on the Saints strip joins with my best wishes and hopes of success. 
Some players are a bit of a punt , some come with a decent track record and then some come in who have done the square root of f**k all previously at this level .
Main most definitely falls into the latter category - he reached the heady heights of being a 1 goal in 6 “striker “ with ‘well but for me he was most definitely a Meh signing . 

I really really hope he rams my doubts down my throat and becomes a Saints hero in 22-23 but given the fact he can’t win a header, can’t run, his second touch is a tackle , can’t shoot and looks n plays like a Rugby league player - I won’t hold my breath .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We need to get this guy signed up on another 2 year deal asap

I fear he’s going to leave in the summer. From a financial perspective it will no doubt be worth his while.

From a football perspective, this is one of the best spells in his career and I can see him getting even better under Robinson if he stays with us. His confidence is growing.

Sum it up perfectly on Wednesday.

Curtis Main last season would have missed that first half sitter, folk would have got on his back, head would have dropped and everyone would have been online calling him a f**king donkey. But he plugged away, never let his head drop at all and got his much deserved rewards from it - it was really pleasing to see on a personal level on top of the obvious St. Mirren aspect.

Main this season just doesn't appear to be willing to let things going wrong get on top of him and the majority of fans have gone with him in that regard and appreciate what he's bringing.

You still hear the odd mumble at games of 'you're f**king hopeless Main' but they are now mumbles rather than actual shouts as you feel any one shouting this would get roundly told to shut up. 

I'm happy for the guy as we all are. It takes some amount of turnaround to win round a support. I can't think of anyone who has done it on as massive a level since Tommy Turner's Lazarus routine.

Maybe Mark Reilly as well but injury and his absence from the team back then really exposed what we missed without him in midfield, by time he was back, folk were like 'don't ever leave again'.

Edited by djchapsticks

46 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Sum it up perfectly on Wednesday.

Curtis Main last season would have missed that first half sitter, folk would have got on his back, head would have dropped and everyone would have been online calling him a f**king donkey. But he plugged away, never let his head drop at all and got his much deserved rewards from it - it was really pleasing to see on a personal level on top of the obvious St. Mirren aspect.

Main this season just doesn't appear to be willing to let things going wrong get on top of him and the majority of fans have gone with him in that regard and appreciate what he's bringing.

You still hear the odd mumble at games of 'you're f**king hopeless Main' but they are now mumbles rather than actual shouts as you feel any one shouting this would get roundly told to shut up. 

I'm happy for the guy as we all are. It takes some amount of turnaround to win round a support. I can't think of anyone who has done it on as massive a level since Tommy Turner's Lazarus routine.

Maybe Mark Reilly as well but injury and his absence from the team back then really exposed what we missed without him in midfield, by time he was back, folk were like 'don't ever leave again'.

Thing is he is fit now and not carrying an injury. Along with that he seems to have clicked with stain as to where he wants ball into. Also he doesn't half get fired up.

Yeah been a cracking signing. Was carrying an injury for much of last season but I still felt the treatment he got from the boo boys was OTT and he had a few decent performances. He's fully fit now and getting a run in the team and it's paying dividends. Before the Motherwell game he had three goals all season, he's doubled that tally in the last two games. If he can add goals to his game he won't be with us much longer. 

Yeah been a cracking signing. Was carrying an injury for much of last season but I still felt the treatment he got from the boo boys was OTT and he had a few decent performances. He's fully fit now and getting a run in the team and it's paying dividends. Before the Motherwell game he had three goals all season, he's doubled that tally in the last two games. If he can add goals to his game he won't be with us much longer. 
Good post. Always gives [emoji817] every game whether he scores or not. Outstanding this season so far. Ayunga could learn a lot from him about effort and bringing the midfield into play.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, HSS said:

While I really appreciate the work ethic of Curtis, for me, he doesn't do enough in front of goal to be offered a contract which makes him one of the highest earners. Surely, if we're pushing the boat out, we should expect to get a striker who does what it says on the tin? Strike at goal.

24 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

While I really appreciate the work ethic of Curtis, for me, he doesn't do enough in front of goal to be offered a contract which makes him one of the highest earners. Surely, if we're pushing the boat out, we should expect to get a striker who does what it says on the tin? Strike at goal.

Agreed, I would be hanging fire & seeing if Brophy can stay fit & keep scoring for the rest of the season at County before making decisions on Main. 

How do you know his wage compared to others?

19 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

I agree with your question. 

However it goes without saying that strikers do tend to get the best contracts at a club especially if they are a senior player.

Our last decent top flight striker for goals scored (not including penalties) was probably Thommo. 

Top clubs due to the number of players they can have in the match day playing squad can hoover up all the decent players. We are always looking at the bargain basement and hoping to strike lucky. 

Dennis couldn’t score for us on a regular basis and neither could Brophy yet both are possibly going to end the season with more goals than our entire front line.

I just wish we could get a striker through our academy. Last decent striker through our youth system was Basher?

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
4 hours ago, stlucifer said:

If you read the full article and believe what has been written then, it said so.

Curtis Main should 100% be given a new deal. Ask any defender what he is like to face and they would say nightmare. He is the perfect number 10. What we need is the goal scoring number 9
Any goal scoring number 9 will be going to teams that can pay him more than we can. We are a team that need to take a punt on someone coming good. Also before people talk about Brophy we also have the addition they they need to have f**k all ego and fit our system and manage... Hard to find in a goal scoring number 9.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

If we are pushing the boat out for a striker I'd try and sign Van Veen of Motherwell. 13 League goals for a side fighting relegation and a handful up top. If we had a 13 goal striker this season we would be comfortably 4th.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk