St.Mirren v Aberdeen

FTOF

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Slash said:

I’ve lost count of the number of times home games against Aberdeen have been moved for TV.

It sadly has a detrimental effect on the matchday revenue with significant fewer away fans. 

Yeah, it’s crap but I guess we can’t have it both ways. People complain about the old firm being featured almost every weekend by sky but then if we get a game like Saints v Dons it results in a loss on revenue like you say. Not ideal. 

48 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Yeah, it’s crap but I guess we can’t have it both ways. People complain about the old firm being featured almost every weekend by sky but then if we get a game like Saints v Dons it results in a loss on revenue like you say. Maybe Not. Revenue from TV is a big part of the income stream for clubs.

So, last season we received £1,437,500, I'm sure that'll take care of the fans who decide not to ravel from Aberdeen. 
Financially yes, it makes sense.

I just worry looking further ahead.

Season by season we (meaning football in general) chase the TV cash cow at the expense of fans attending.

What happens when attendance has dropped, a generation of supporters are lost, and TV companies withdraw or reduce their cash input?

I've always firmly believes we should take the Fergie route of doing everything possible to get fans along. Get them along young. Retain them.

Get them along early to the match. Entertain them.

We do that last part well... In the games we choose to... Then blow it for other matches.

Tis a conundrum for sure, with no easy answer.

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:

Financially yes, it makes sense.

I just worry looking further ahead.

Season by season we (meaning football in general) chase the TV cash cow at the expense of fans attending.

What happens when attendance has dropped, a generation of supporters are lost, and TV companies withdraw or reduce their cash input?

I've always firmly believes we should take the Fergie route of doing everything possible to get fans along. Get them along young. Retain them.

Get them along early to the match. Entertain them.

We do that last part well... In the games we choose to... Then blow it for other matches.

Tis a conundrum for sure, with no easy answer.

I'm unconvinced TV has much effect on attendances, look at England, attendances booming/steady yet wall to wall coverage.

Two entirely different issues, TV and drumming up attendances.

Success ON the park is, IMO, the key to increasing interest, kids don't want to watch a team struggling to score a goal, never mind win a game.

It's not the 1970's anymore, youngsters have more/different options and despite being dragged along by parents will make their own decisions eventually.

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm unconvinced TV has much effect on attendances, look at England, attendances booming/steady yet wall to wall coverage.

Two entirely different issues, TV and drumming up attendances.

Success ON the park is, IMO, the key to increasing interest, kids don't want to watch a team struggling to score a goal, never mind win a game.

It's not the 1970's anymore, youngsters have more/different options and despite being dragged along by parents will make their own decisions eventually.

I generally agree with the point you’re making but I’d say that the Aberdeen game is precisely the circumstance that does impact attendance. Similarly home games versus the OF where fans can choose to stay away from everything that goes with it and still see the game from home/pub. 

Agree that success on the park (or sometimes relegation battles) are the main driver of attendances.

It’s also about marginal gains as well and that’s where we’ve not helped ourselves with late season tickets release, not getting fans into early games due to poor Covid admin, now delays at turnstiles, no away fans, etc.

Add into the mix that this week we’ve not been advertised how to buy a ticket for an away game to Hibs on Sat. We’re really not getting the basics right and I just find it so disappointing. 

1 minute ago, Maboza said:

I generally agree with the point you’re making but I’d say that the Aberdeen game is precisely the circumstance that does impact attendance. Similarly home games versus the OF where fans can choose to stay away from everything that goes with it and still see the game from home/pub. 

Agree that success on the park (or sometimes relegation battles) are the main driver of attendances.

It’s also about marginal gains as well and that’s where we’ve not helped ourselves with late season tickets release, not getting fans into early games due to poor Covid admin, now delays at turnstiles, no away fans, etc.

Add into the mix that this week we’ve not been advertised how to buy a ticket for an away game to Hibs on Sat. We’re really not getting the basics right and I just find it so disappointing. 

People who want to go to games will go, almost irrespective of other outside influences.

The OF games are an anomaly, in years gone by we had a great home support, but that was across the board.

I'm 100% in agreement that these recent disasters in communication etc have an effect, but not on trying to encourage new punters.

People who want to go to games will go, almost irrespective of other outside influences.
The OF games are an anomaly, in years gone by we had a great home support, but that was across the board.
I'm 100% in agreement that these recent disasters in communication etc have an effect, but not on trying to encourage new punters.

As I said, I personally feel that is a short term approach which will eventually harm our game.

I guess time will tell. [emoji26]

An early kick off on a Sunday isn’t kind to supporters travelling down from Aberdeen. My guess, given their current form, the early start and the match being on tv that no more than 750 Dons Fans will be there. Our hard core support is between 3,800 and 4,200.  My guess is 4,750 crowd. On a Saturday at 3pm I would guess 1250 dons and 4,000 home fans. Total 5,250. A loss of 500 . Average price of say £20 a head means a gate sacrifice of around £10,000. If TV pays more then short term financially it makes sense. 

4 hours ago, Slash said:

I honestly can’t remember when Saints featured in an away televised League game that does not include playoff match against United.

The Cody Cooke hat-trick game at Dens was on BT Sport.

However, the last away game of ours broadcast by Sky? Now that's a headscratcher.

14 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok so we will get Nil.... so just depends on what Dons get..... its costing £60 for non season ticket holders a goal so far at home...hopefully in the Jan window Goody will get some more midfielders as our strikers are flourishing... sorry for neg pish but this is Gus all over again

Nil against is ok of course but whilst you don’t lose you miss out on the three points. Dundee United have, I believe, won two and sit in six points whilst losing three times. We sit on three having been beaten twice