St.Mirren v Aberdeen

FTOF

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Far too quick with cards.  If he’d been in real control of the players and the game, then there wouldn’t have been so many flying, ill-judged tackles and cheating aggression.

His ineffectual presence set the wrong tone so he was forced to resort to dishing out cards for everything.

the 2nd yellow for Jenny’s was not only soft, but wrong, I believe.

it turned the game.  I might be happy for how that helped Saints, but it was not helping a legitimate game of football.

I think that Aberdeen committing 22 fouls in the game was what earned the yellows and the red. In truth the ref was lenient at times. I am not a fan of WC but can’t blame him today.

Edited by Rascal

Far too quick with cards.  If he’d been in real control of the players and the game, then there wouldn’t have been so many flying, ill-judged tackles and cheating aggression.
His ineffectual presence set the wrong tone so he was forced to resort to dishing out cards for everything.

it turned the game.  I might be happy for how that helped Saints, but it was not helping a legitimate game of football.
Whit, his second yellow is as clear a booking as you will get. It was bordering on a straight red. Over the ball right onto McGrath's ankle, a very nasty challenge. Every pundit and both managers were unanimous about it too. No idea what you saw in either booking that suggested they were not.

Delighted to see us get our first win of the season, though like JG, I think we should have had it a couple of games ago.

Yesterday's game turned on the sending-off, which, like almost everyone else, I thought was fully justified. Before then Dons were definitely on top, even if they were using some questionable tactics (the Scott Brown block at their second goal etc.). Can't really blame them, I suppose, as they were as desperate to get out of their slump as we were to get that first win.

Thought our successes were Ronan, Power, Fraser throughout, and McGrath in the second half.

Although he got Jenks's sending-off correct yesterday, Collum has always been a painful ref to watch. Not able to develop a relationship with players, so hr applies the laws as he sees them very rigidly, which leads to numerous yellow cards (and some reds) in most of his games.

We need to capitalise on this performance in our next two games, which, although they are away from home, are against two of the teams around us in the league. Both are quite winnable, I think. So......

COYS!!

13 hours ago, jaybee said:

Brown obstructed him no attempt at winning ball, just a block, clear foul; would have been picked up by VAR methinks, got away with one there as goal should have been disallowed

We dont have VAR and as much as I hate Brown it was good play by him he blocked runners off let Ramirez get the run for the header. If that was other way about I would have been pleased with our player doing that too often we are too soft at set pieces we need to learn to be more street wise

Brilliant result, we came out a completely different team that 2nd half, McGrath totally upped his game and what a signing Ronan is going to be for us, Brophy also had another decent game and was unlucky not to score again, he is a handful.

Erhahon shouldn’t be in that starting 11 for me, far too lazy and just looks half arsed most of the time, I could see Goodwin getting annoyed at him yesterday.

Erhahon is developing as a player and deserves his place in the team, however I don't think we need 2 defensive midfielders and either him or Power (Currently Power IMHO, but give it another 6-12 months and will probably be other way around) would be enough. Erhahon's positioning is usually spot on and breaks up play well and in addition his pass to Ronan for the first goal was inch perfect. I don't get the negativity sent towards one of our best young players.

Edited by Swiss_Saint
spelling

Ronan’s second goal gets better every time you watch it. His slight delay before sticking the ball in the net showed great composure. We now carry a goal threat from midfield which has to help our forwards and gives the opposition something else to think about. Our problem up until now seems to be that we were too predictable, if we can carry a threat from different areas then that has to make us harder to play against.

19 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I noticed that we were on the receiving end of yet another shite offside decision yesterday, when Ronan was flagged offside for the chance that Lewis saved to prevent his hattrick.<_<

If we had VAR , then that goal would stand (if he had scored) , and the winning goal would most likely have been ruled out because of the Main/Bates thingy !

Edited by billyg

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

Brilliant result, we came out a completely different team that 2nd half, McGrath totally upped his game and what a signing Ronan is going to be for us, Brophy also had another decent game and was unlucky not to score again, he is a handful.

Erhahon shouldn’t be in that starting 11 for me, far too lazy and just looks half arsed most of the time, I could see Goodwin getting annoyed at him yesterday.

His pass for the first goal was perfect.

Erharon is extremely poor when the opposition have the ball. He doesn't track runners, doesn't close down and doesn't mark anyone. He doesn't seem to know what he is doing when we don't have the ball and are defending. And he cannot tackle on his right side as he has to turn his body round to try and get his left foot in. He has a good left foot and some of his deficits can be improved by coaching. But I see little improvement in those areas over the last 12 months. Either he isn't getting the coaching he needs or isn't listening but his game awareness is poor.

24 minutes ago, billyg said:

If we had VAR , then that goal would stand (if he had scored) , and the winning goal would most likely have been ruled out because of the Main/Bates thingy !

To be fair it was Bates who had Main in a hold in the first instance as he tries to stop Main from moving towards goal. In the end they're both at it and Bates falls over with minimal contact from Main.

However, it could have gone either way.

4 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Main came on and should of had a hat trick

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

To be fair it was Bates who had Main in a hold in the first instance as he tries to stop Main from moving towards goal. In the end they're both at it and Bates falls over with minimal contact from Main.

However, it could have gone either way.

Had a brilliant game yesterday before being taken off IMO. 

9 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Make your mind up. You wrote previously he was a top whistler, whilst also liking a similar post. emoji1787.png

He seems to be highly regarded by the league and SFA so yes…by that definition he is a top ref. Have I found him to be a bit card happy at times? Yes. But he wasn’t card happy. Aberdeen made his job easy for him when it came to bookings. Committing 22 fouls gives him many decisions to make. Thought though that he was quite lenient. Allowed some diving to go unpunished. IMO

I thought he did well yesterday until subbed and that was more tactical than a reflection on his performance. His pass for the first goal was a thing of beauty.

On 9/26/2021 at 10:52 PM, antrin said:

Just because the ref is unpopular......clearly, it doesn't mean he was wrong , the first yellow, he might have let go with a word; but it was legitimate nonetheless, the second offence in many referees eyes could well have been a straight red, no great disrespect intended, but you are obviously not a referee (I am).