St Mirren v Partick Thistle League Cup 25/7/21

We had 10,000 a game in old First Division, and some great crowds in 2017-18

If, and its a big if, we can push on this season to being a top 6 club then , built it and they will come

Anyone remember the figure of capacity for filling in the corners ? 

PS We need to be better than Well, Livi, Utd, Dundee, Fakes and County to be top 6.... is that not doable with our present squad ?
Uglies, Hibs, Dons will be top 4 so rest is up for grabs
I'm not so confident Don's won't take a backwards step this season.

Top six is very achievable for us. I'll be really disappointed if we don't make it this season, building on the steady progress of the playing side.

23 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

That was then etc.

As I recall we've only filled the current ground once, the Dundee United play off?

What we have is, almost certainly, more than big enough as it's hardly close to capacity for the majority of games. 

I think our biggest crowd was against Kilmarnock

The game between St Mirren and Kilmarnock finished in a 1–1 draw.   

Dennis Wyness scored St Mirren's first goal at the new ground, in the same match. The opening match set the record attendance of 7,542, and was only surpassed in the Scottish Premiership play-off match against Dundee United, when 7,732 fans attended on 26 May 2019.

Edited by pod

A 2 goal margin win will guarantee us a seeded place in the draw by my take.

There are four teams fighting for three seeded spots going into last round of fixtures. If we win 2-0 we will be the same as Dundee United (who have completed their fixtures) on points, goal difference and goals scored. I imagine in that scenario, it will either come down to league placement or cup performance last season, we are ahead of them on both. 

Edited by bazil85

14 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

A 2 goal margin win will guarantee us a seeded place in the draw by my take.

There are four teams fighting for three seeded spots going into last round of fixtures. If we win 2-0 we will be the same as Dundee United (who have completed their fixtures) on points, goal difference and goals scored. I imagine in that scenario, it will either come down to league placement or cup performance last season, we are ahead of them on both. 

Maybe they’ll just use the same method as they do for sorting out individual groups...

If clubs are level on points at the end of the group stage, the criteria for separating them is 1) goal difference, 2) goals scored, 3) away goals scored, 4) matches won, 5) away matches won, 6) drawing of lots.

1 minute ago, Maboza said:

Maybe they’ll just use the same method as they do for sorting out individual groups...

If clubs are level on points at the end of the group stage, the criteria for separating them is 1) goal difference, 2) goals scored, 3) away goals scored, 4) matches won, 5) away matches won, 6) drawing of lots.

Yeah maybe, if that was the case and we did win 2-0 we would go through on "away goals scored" six (technically including the Dumbarton award) verses their two. Everything else would be equal. 

I emailed the slo and asked how the figure was derived given the government said a maximum of 2000 yet we are only allowed 1039. Who made this decision was it appealed or asked for more but special consideration. I got a reply stating they are meeting with the management tonight to find out and get as much info as possible to allow it to be published on FB and twitter hopefully later. Still a shambles when other teams can have 3.5k plus for friendlies etc

11 minutes ago, Clydebanksaint said:

I emailed the slo and asked how the figure was derived given the government said a maximum of 2000 yet we are only allowed 1039. Who made this decision was it appealed or asked for more but special consideration. I got a reply stating they are meeting with the management tonight to find out and get as much info as possible to allow it to be published on FB and twitter hopefully later. Still a shambles when other teams can have 3.5k plus for friendlies etc

The fact that the old firm seem to have increasing numbers with each passing game suggests that clubs are having to refine their approach with each application to maximise the attendance. 

The more that they can demonstrate their ability to comply with the guidelines and mitigate risk then the more fans they will be able to have.

18 minutes ago, Clydebanksaint said:

Most likely irrelevant in this case sadly.

Other teams won't be dealing with Renfrewshire Council. They'll also have different stand layouts and utilisations.

I would like to think that the club did push for as many fans as possible. Why wouldn't they given the unacceptable situation with season tickets and opportunity to make more money?

Unfortunately nothing related to Covid has been straightforward, so this process just falls in line with all the other hoops we've had to jump through as a society.

If anyone is "at it", they need to stop it and get on with getting decent numbers of fans back into the stadium.

Edited by FTOF

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Most likely irrelevant in this case sadly.

Other teams won't be dealing with Renfrewshire Council. They'll also have different stand layouts and utilisations.

I would like to think that the club did push for as many fans as possible. Why wouldn't they given the unacceptable situation with season tickets and opportunity to make more money?

Unfortunately nothing related to Covid has been straightforward, so this process just falls in line with all the other hoops we've had to jump through as a society.

If anyone is "at it", they need to stop it and get on with getting decent numbers of fans back into the stadium.

I think your right for this game its gone we have 1039 and that is it. We MUST surely get more in for the first home league game or as you say If anyone is “at it” it must stop. On a separate note im guessing we are not allowed to buy tickets for Dundee away sorry if its been posted elsewhere cant see it for looking maybe lol 

I’m sure I read on the official site that the lucky winners of the ballot would find out by c.o.b. Thursday - I guess this is superseded now by current events? I do wonder though, how long were the club privy to the 1039 number or was this sprung on them too??

36 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

I’m sure I read on the official site that the lucky winners of the ballot would find out by c.o.b. Thursday - I guess this is superseded now by current events? I do wonder though, how long were the club privy to the 1039 number or was this sprung on them too??

Lucky winners🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

I'm not so confident Don's won't take a backwards step this season.

Top six is very achievable for us. I'll be really disappointed if we don't make it this season, building on the steady progress of the playing side.

Take your point but happy to speculate that this will be a positive season for us...… Hopefully Livi, Dundee and County can fight out relegation, leaving us ,Well, Fakes , Utd, and Hearts,  fighting for 5th-9th..... not that impressed with Hearts or Robbie, United have a massive gamble in their manager, Fakes can only go one way after last season, Well are very inconsistent and a few bad results may mean a sacking is imminent , so if what you say happens re Dons I will take 4th now:wink: …… FAS will update us, but Saints are a good bet at 18-1 for top 6  …..

Take your point but happy to speculate that this will be a positive season for us...… Hopefully Livi, Dundee and County can fight out relegation, leaving us ,Well, Fakes , Utd, and Hearts,  fighting for 5th-9th..... not that impressed with Hearts or Robbie, United have a massive gamble in their manager, Fakes can only go one way after last season, Well are very inconsistent and a few bad results may mean a sacking is imminent , so if what you say happens re Dons I will take 4th now:wink: …… FAS will update us, but Saints are a good bet at 18-1 for top 6  …..
Saints are only 2/1 for a top 6 spot on Bet365

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

That was then etc.

As I recall we've only filled the current ground once, the Dundee United play off?

What we have is, almost certainly, more than big enough as it's hardly close to capacity for the majority of games. 

What you say is of course true, but there’s a slight wrinkle to it.

There have been a handful of games (the homes games against Livingston and Morton in the last Championship winning season immediately come to mind) where we “potentially” could have had capacity crowds if either the away ends had been filled (like DUFC did) or the make up of the stadium allowed for the away end to be carved up. 
Not saying they would definitely have been capacity. Just saying there have probably been a few games where there has been a capacity crowd in the 3 stands available to the home support. 

5 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Up to date odds for a top 6.

Hearts odds are a joke, like their team. Screenshot_20210722-170555.jpeg

Some of the odds calculation will take into account the number of folk likely to put on a bet.

The number of fans associated with the clubs on 5he list seems to reflect that.  A bit.

42 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I would possibly put well in the fighting relegation pot my well supporting mate reckons its going to be a long season for them recruitment hasnt been very good and performances never mind results so far have bern very poor hope they are right as i am hoping for a bottle of them 2nd season running 

2 minutes ago, Clydebanksaint said:

I would possibly put well in the fighting relegation pot my well supporting mate reckons its going to be a long season for them recruitment hasnt been very good and performances never mind results so far have bern very poor hope they are right as i am hoping for a bottle of them 2nd season running 

Mate told me he got 18-1, maybe that was for title :lol:

Here you on Well, that was a shocker last night, but as they have a grass pitch I want them up, Livi down and Pars up

Mate told me he got 18-1, maybe that was for title

Here you on Well, that was a shocker last night, but as they have a grass pitch I want them up, Livi down and Pars up
Do Dunfermline not have a plastic pitch???

37 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

What you say is of course true, but there’s a slight wrinkle to it.

There have been a handful of games (the homes games against Livingston and Morton in the last Championship winning season immediately come to mind) where we “potentially” could have had capacity crowds if either the away ends had been filled (like DUFC did) or the make up of the stadium allowed for the away end to be carved up. 
Not saying they would definitely have been capacity. Just saying there have probably been a few games where there has been a capacity crowd in the 3 stands available to the home support. 

Probably a few games, doesn't come close to meriting any further development of the ground as it stands.

It's all speculation IF we could, the hard facts are we haven't. 

I doubt anybody in their right mind would sanction the cost of this "filling in the corners" idea. 

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Probably a few games, doesn't come close to meriting any further development of the ground as it stands.

It's all speculation IF we could, the hard facts are we haven't. 

I doubt anybody in their right mind would sanction the cost of this "filling in the corners" idea. 

Oh no. Completely agree at this time.

I was more talking about the potential/latent support for a relatively successful team.

Even that though, would absolutely have its limits