St mirren v Hearts

I agree, McGrath is head and shoulders ahead of any other outfield player we have. My point is , if we are to lose him - which looks probable, then let's get decent cash in that could go towards a 3 or 4k a week midfielder. Weather or not he will be better than Jamie remains to be seen, but at least it would put us in a stronger position to try and replace him.
Sell Erhahon and give Jamie 4K a week makes more sense.

As I said he is our best player and if he goes we are a far weaker team even if we have money in the bank or gamble it on someone who may or may not be as good. We will not find a better replacement.

Just now, Sonny said:

Sell Erhahon and give Jamie 4K a week makes more sense.

As I said he is our best player and if he goes we are a far weaker team even if we have money in the bank or gamble it on someone who may or may not be as good. We will not find a better replacement.

I fear McGrath’s mind will be made up. Even if we could match or slightly beat his wages, long-term exposure & capability to earn far more exists down south for him. Would love him to stay but I just don’t see it. 

I would also be wary about selling one of our best young assets to fund McGrath. Can see Erhahon being further along as a player by the time he is McGrath’s age. 

Should have had Connor McCarthy on the right hand side of the three central defenders and Erahon playing next to Power in front of the back three . We should be defending better . Its going to be a long season. 
Kind of agree, but thought Fraser was alright. I would have hooked Dunne of the back 3. Some of his balls were to nothing.

I think if this this the formation we are going to play that it showed Kiltie to be a bit of a ghost in the game.

I felt that Power was over worked in the middle. He needed someone else in the middle with him to cut out play.

I felt that the wing backs didn't work as they would take a man on. It then meant that Brophy and Main were coming wide to be an option to pass or chip over to run on to it, to not have the likes of Kiltie running into the forward space in the middle. I'd play McGrath in that role and maybe look to play 2 midfielders to brake up play.

I would also at times change it up to have McGrath at times then be running the line if ball is coming up left to go be an option for Tanser to pass and have over lap going on. If it's up the right he comes out to support whoever we play at RWB to overlap with.

If this is the formation then if feels super narrow in support and attack higher up the park. We need players to be helping but not always pulling the strikers too wide with no midfield pushing forward to take their space and be an option.

Looks like Jim is favouring the 3 at the back system but we are not getting the wingbacks forward enough and end up slinging in crosses from halfway up the park. I’d bring McCarthy back in and play with Fraser and Tanser as wing backs. Couldn’t believe how much we sat off Hearts back four yesterday especially first half. Think we should always be aiming to play a high press on teams when we are at home.

I was disgusted with the hearts tactics yesterday They were going down feigning injury all over the place and the ref fell for it big time Miraculously they all recovered from the “injuries” and were able to sprint back on the pitch How there was only a minutes injury time in the first half I will never know

After the cup winning season I feel things started to unfold a bit for him & St Mirren stuttered. I don’t think it was right he could rely of the cup win indefinitely & at the end of his contract I agreed with the decision he should go. 

You disagree & think he should have been given more time. That’s fine, people will agree & disagree on different aspects of life. 

It happened, it was around seven years ago, why are you dwelling on it?

People that still hold a grudge against Goodwin because of some speculation on his part in Danny’s downfall are just bitter. Again IMO they need to get over it & judge him on what he’s done as a manager. Oh to be so unforgiving & petty. 
The "Speculation" on Danny's downfall came from at least 2 St Mirren players who played in the team one of whom is JG's mate and who likes to sit in Sportscene studio on a Sunday evening.

That isn't why most St Mirren fans have little patience in Goodwin his constant negative tactics which he himself admitted too last season is a hard watch & these tactics cost us in Livingston and Hamilton match last season & Hearts match yesterday.

St Mirren, Livingston, Ross County & 2 Dundee teams will be 8th-12th this season and nowhere near top 6.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

The "Speculation" on Danny's downfall came from at least 2 St Mirren players who played in the team one of whom is JG's mate and who likes to sit in Sportscene studio on a Sunday evening.

That isn't why most St Mirren fans have little patience in Goodwin his constant negative tactics which he himself admitted too last season is a hard watch & these tactics cost us in Livingston and Hamilton match last season & Hearts match yesterday.

St Mirren, Livingston, Ross County & 2 Dundee teams will be 8th-12th this season and nowhere near top 6.

"Most" fans have little patience for Goodwin.  What do you base that on because bar a few roasters on here every Saints fan I know has 100% faith in Goody.

"Most" fans have little patience for Goodwin.  What do you base that on because bar a few roasters on here every Saints fan I know has 100% faith in Goody.
So because every Saints fan you know has 100% faith in Goody it must be fact that "most fans in general feel the same" .

Well weirdly I was at match yesterday with 4 other Saints fans all who have little patience due to his negative tactics and talking to others on walk back to Paisley they all had very similar opinions plus having only 1039 you could here the constant shouts at Jim to change tactics, make earlier subs etc etc etc.

Take a look at any football forum, social media and you will see Jim getting slated everywhere that is what I base my "little patience" on.

You enjoy your happy clapper world.

17 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

While I agree it's unlikely "most" fans have little patience I would also suggest there's quite a few more than this "every saints fan you know" who do have doubts.

Most fans are very fickle and have short memories, right now I suspect there will be plenty doubting the manager, if we win a game then that would change.

2 games in, plenty of time to improve, unfortunately it's Celtic next so, looking further ahead, St Johnstone look like a chance to get something to add to the points total.
image.thumb.png.1570b1d598e4ce3dcf67992f29662bb3.png
To use the "most fans" again I would suggest most fans would only really be confident of 3 points in the one home game v Ross County this season every other match looks like a hard slog for 3 points imo.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I feel it is DEFINITELY a factor for many that have been on Jim since he came in.

For me, regardless of what did or did not happen behind closed doors then, we only really have that one side & seven years is more than enough time to move on. Fans that haven’t, it’s far more their problem than Jim Goodwin’s (Points are IMO - caveat for my pal). 

Regarding the tactics, it may be true but that is still part & parcel of the manager who has factually had the best league campaign for the Buddies in over 30 years.

Jim still has a lot to learn as a gaffer, IMO we’re very lucky to have him. 

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
2 hours ago, faraway saint said:
2 games in, plenty of time to improve, unfortunately it's Celtic next so, looking further ahead, St Johnstone look like a chance to get something to add to the points total.
image.thumb.png.1570b1d598e4ce3dcf67992f29662bb3.png

To use the "most fans" again I would suggest most fans would only really be confident of 3 points in the one home game v Ross County this season every other match looks like a hard slog for 3 points imo.

At this stage, unless you (most fans) have seen all the other teams I'd suggest it's way too early for the gloom and doom predictions.

Similar would have been said last season by "most fans" at this stage of the season.

I feel it is DEFINITELY a factor for many that have been on Jim since he came in.

For me, regardless of what did or did not happen behind closed doors then, we only really have that one side & seven years is more than enough time to move on. Fans that haven’t, it’s far more their problem than Jim Goodwin’s (Points are IMO - caveat for my pal). 

Regarding the tactics, it may be true but that is still part & parcel of the manager who has factually had the best league campaign for the Buddies in over 30 years.

Personally, I feel it is DEFINITELY not a factor for "many" and you have no way of proving that.

That aside, I agree with you and I am 100% behind our manager.

30 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Personally, I feel it is DEFINITELY not a factor for "many" and you have no way of proving that.

That aside, I agree with you and I am 100% behind our manager.

A factor for many who have been on him since he came in (as I said), not many of the fanbase. I feel simply asking the people over critical of Goodwin would do the job. Certainly showing signs on here recently. 

53 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

He admitted that he was to cautious last season but goes and does the exact same this season so much for learning from your mistakes.

2 minutes ago, elvis said:

He admitted that he was to cautious last season but goes and does the exact same this season so much for learning from your mistakes.

If he knew a perfect formula for playing brilliant in every game & getting results, he’d be at Barcelona, Man C, Bayern, etc by now. 

He got the tactics wrong at the start of that match allowing the other team to get on top, that’ll happen to every manager this season.

Credit to him, he changed it & we played alright for most of the game. 

If he knew a perfect formula for playing brilliant in every game & getting results, he’d be at Barcelona, Man C, Bayern, etc by now. 

He got the tactics wrong at the start of that match allowing the other team to get on top, that’ll happen to every manager this season.

Credit to him, he changed it & we played alright for most of the game. 
Did we though??? Imo we only played OK for part of first half after they scored, 2nd half they just let us have the ball and were quite happy to sit back and wait for their chance on the counter.

I know we scored late on but did Gordon actually have a save of note in whole match???

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Did we though??? Imo we only played OK for part of first half after they scored, 2nd half they just let us have the ball and were quite happy to sit back and wait for their chance on the counter.

I know we scored late on but did Gordon actually have a save of note in whole match???

I feel their second was against the run of play but fair enough. 

People also need to remember we were playing Hearts. Bigger wage budget, stronger squad, more depth, riding high (I imagine) after beating Celtic. I would say some of our fans are being very harsh. 

I feel their second was against the run of play but fair enough. 

People also need to remember we were playing Hearts. Bigger wage budget, stronger squad, more depth, riding high (I imagine) after beating Celtic. I would say some of our fans are being very harsh. 

People certainly do not "need to remember"!

We have ambitions of finishing top six. That means finishing above newly promoted teams like Hearts irrespective of their budget.

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:

People certainly do not "need to remember"!

We have ambitions of finishing top six. That means finishing above newly promoted teams like Hearts irrespective of their budget.

Two games into the league campaign & people are panning him, even to the extent he should be sacked.

This after losing his first competitive game in five to Hearts. They’re one of Scotland big five, whether you think people need to remember that or not. 

Two games into the league campaign & people are panning him, even to the extent he should be sacked.

This after losing his first competitive game in five to Hearts. They’re one of Scotland big five, whether you think people need to remember that or not. 
Geez.... YOU said people "need to remember"!.

Nobody needs to remember. Nobody!

You choose to. Good on you.

You are now causing a disagreement over me agreeing with you.

You'd cause a fight in an empty hoose... and still find somebody else to blame. [emoji850]