The Stewards

4 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Good to hear and encouraging.
I agree. Hopefully.
Wee query.
Any idea why when the season dates have been known for months, things were not in place for the first home match?

Nope that’s purely down to the board of chief executive making a balls up of contracting out the pie stalls, kibble catering were never going to attempt this, way too many issues, the most important being staffing / manning the actual kiosks, I reckon kibbles got maybe 12 catering staff  in total, no way could they even look at taking this on realistically 

3 hours ago, animal said:

I know it mught be a novel idea but why does Jim Gillespie Chief Executive of Kibble and vice chairmain of St. Mirren not come on here and explain away the exodus of almost all the staff, the ticket fiasco, the unfinshed work at Ralston (ran out of wood I hear), the real reason the catering outlets had no equipment in them, the real reason the pie etc. supplier would not deal with the Kibble pals, the stwarding fiasco (Is the ground operating legally on Sunday ?), why the club doctor has left etc etc etc etc. what involvement his family members now have in the club - and that's just for starters !

But no, a Kibble employee and loyal supporter(aye right) has to sign up to tell us the backgound of the chef. You could not make this up. Fans owned club - don't make me laugh. Where is Mr. Gilmour when you need him.

Well bud, like a lot of folks here my names on the wall, been following st Mirren since the early 80s, 

Started on the clarkes bus, survived the “reeking in Brechin” trip, teamed up briefly with JBs 

we moved to the wee barrel, watched Tom Henry pour the worst pint in history while propping up mark yardley!

left there when the owner turned *** and kicked us out for the price of a sausage roll

Headed over to the old onetwo onetwo, before moving to Lang’s and settled down there ever since! 
don’t normally post in forums, because it means interacting with folk like yourself, never a pleasant experience, but felt an injection of positivity was called for.

• 2 weeks later...

The crowd fiasco led to stewards getting a hard time today where they were left to hang out to dry with a radio message 2 minutes from kick off to advise the hundreds of people not to scan season tickets and check back for barcode on your email as apparently the season tickets weren't scanning you couldn't make it up.

Also saw steward cause a riot in W7 by telling the young kids in front row to sit down when they have stood up in front row since day one especially when the same message wasn't being conveyed to the away end.

Saw some social media posts after St Johnstone game about the stewards closing one of the gates and refusing to open them after match which was mentioned at Smisa meeting this week, overheard the steward manning the gate separating Away end from W7 today arguing with his supervisors as to why gate had been opened and his response was the fans pushed me out of the way and opened it themselves I don't get paid enough to try and stop them his supervisors looked raging but fair play to him.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The crowd fiasco led to stewards getting a hard time today where they were left to hang out to dry with a radio message 2 minutes from kick off to advise the hundreds of people not to scan season tickets and check back for barcode on your email as apparently the season tickets weren't scanning you couldn't make it up.

Also saw steward cause a riot in W7 by telling the young kids in front row to sit down when they have stood up in front row since day one especially when the same message wasn't being conveyed to the away end.

Saw some social media posts after St Johnstone game about the stewards closing one of the gates and refusing to open them after match which was mentioned at Smisa meeting this week, overheard the steward manning the gate separating Away end from W7 today arguing with his supervisors as to why gate had been opened and his response was the fans pushed me out of the way and opened it themselves I don't get paid enough to try and stop them his supervisors looked raging but fair play to him.

I was passing at the same moment and heard that. 

Didn’t quite pick up on whether it was home fans or away fans that had opened the gate but I did notice there was a DUFC supporters bus parked in the car park next to the west stand which is unusual. Those fans would have had to walk a long way round to get to that bus if they weren’t being allowed through the gate. 

Edited by Maboza

I saw a steward getting a dressing down today in the concourse in the Main Stand. I'd just eaten a pie and nipped down to wash my hands and, being unfamiliar with the Main Stand, I went into the ladies' toilets, too. None of the stewards noticed, as they were too busy scolding the lassie. 

6 hours ago, Slash said:

There are signs clearly stating what gender the toilets are for. Given you were unfamiliar with the layout why did you not check or wait until the steward was free and ask the question? 

I was distracted by senior steward reprimanding her colleague. 

If you're suggesting I did it deliberately, I can assure you that you're wrong. :)

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The stewards ejected a fan from W2 yesterday. Apparently he was spotted decanting from a hip flask into a paper cup, according to those nearby.

That's horrible. They should have had a quiet word and made him empty his flask. Who knows what the guy was going through? He could have just suffered a bereavement, gone through a breakup, been diagnosed with something nasty, for example. As @faraway saint suggests, he may have an alcohol problem. 

We're a club that serves the community, or at least we should be. Aye, he should not be drinking alcohol and something needed to be done, but ejecting him, with all the humiliation that brings, is not the answer. 

If he was a nuisance, then aye. But from what I've gleaned there's no indication he was being abusive or in any other way anti-social. 

Our stewards aren't social workers, but they can still try to be a wee bit compassionate. 

2 minutes ago, W6er said:

That's horrible. They should have had a quiet word and made him empty his flask. Who knows what the guy was going through? He could have just suffered a bereavement, gone through a breakup, been diagnosed with something nasty, for example. As @faraway saint suggests, he may have an alcohol problem. 

We're a club that serves the community, or at least we should be. Aye, he should not be drinking alcohol and something needed to be done, but ejecting him, with all the humiliation that brings, is not the answer. 

If he was a nuisance, then aye. But from what I've gleaned there's no indication he was being abusive or in any other way anti-social. 

Our stewards aren't social workers, but they can still try to be a wee bit compassionate. 

FFS, coming from the guy who loves going into ladies toilets. :lol:

15 minutes ago, W6er said:

Just to clarify, I'm far from rolling out the bleeding heart approach, he knows the rules.

You've made an awful lot of assumptions here so I'll make a few.......................

He's a raving bevvy merchant, probably been in the pub for hours before the game, will be shouting shite throughout the game and go home and throw his tea at his wife just because he's an arsehole.

How's that? 

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

FFS, coming from the guy who loves going into ladies toilets. :lol:

It happened ONCE! I only noticed because as I was washing my hands I glanced in the mirror and saw a bag hanging, which on closer inspection was sanitary towels...I then noticed, to my horror, that there were no urinals and realised my mistake. Fortunately the stewards were still excoriating the lassie and I exited unnoticed. It was a genuine mistake and I was very embarrassed. 

1 minute ago, W6er said:

It happened ONCE! I only noticed because as I was washing my hands I glanced in the mirror and saw a bag hanging, which on closer inspection was sanitary towels...I then noticed, to my horror, that there were no urinals and realised my mistake. Fortunately the stewards were still excoriating the lassie and I exited unnoticed. It was a genuine mistake and I was very embarrassed. 

Once you've told us about. :lol:

Pervert. :P

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just to clarify, I'm far from rolling out the bleeding heart approach, he knows the rules.

You've made an awful lot of assumptions here so I'll make a few.......................

He's a raving bevvy merchant, probably been in the pub for hours before the game, will be shouting shite throughout the game and go home and throw his tea at his wife just because he's an arsehole.

How's that? 

I believe in giving someone the benefit of the doubt. You might be right, but so might I. Most 'bevvy merchants' have underlying problems. Life's not a bed of roses for us all...

10 minutes ago, W6er said:

I believe in giving someone the benefit of the doubt. You might be right, but so might I. Most 'bevvy merchants' have underlying problems. Life's not a bed of roses for us all...

You didn't just give the benefit of doubt, you rolled out a hunner totally made up reasons not to eject him, only missing out the classic mental health.

No wonder the worlds gone to feck. 

You can bet your bottom dollar if one of the serial complainers on here had seen a steward allowing a guy who was quite obviously dispensing swally into a cup, from a hip flask, to stay in the ground, that the stewarding company would have been getting it tight.

In this instance the steward was actually doing his job properly.

50 minutes ago, W6er said:

Were you having a shite? 💩

6 minutes ago, Slash said:

There is zero excuse for consuming bevvy in the stands at football match given that laws making it an offence were introduced in the aftermath of the 1980 Scottish Cup riot.

That is 41 years of zero tolerance on bevvy inside football stands (excluding hospitality).

Ah but, what about all his personal issues? :lol: