Afghanistan

faraway saint

Well after 20 years of trials and tribulations the Taliban wasted no time taking control, and are already starting to pick apart the changes that had taken place over the last 2 decades.

A lot of anger and despair from the troops, and their families, a feeling that it's all been, deaths and terrible injuries, for nothing. 

Foreign troops were stationed there for years to help provide stability and train their police and army to ‘in theory’ allow them to protect themselves.

It’s astonishing that the infrastructure wasn’t sufficient to allow the country to remain in control with the current regime

Did foreign troops stay too long or leave too early ?

9 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Biden currently giving a bold news conference

‘Why should I send American troops to die again and defend them,when they won’t defend themselves?’

They were given an army/police force/ Air Force and infrastructure with training and a long transition period.

I agree

I happen t agree with this view.

The speed that the Taliban recaptured the whole country suggests the government troops adopted the "runaway" approach.

The Americans, rightly at times, get criticised for getting involved when it's unnecessary, now they get criticised for leaving. 

I also fully understand the feeling of our soldiers and their families but it shouldn't be ignored the changes that have happened and the freedom people, especially females, have had over the last umpteen years.

It's a tragedy for the people but they have to take some responsibility, all I'm hearing is "we've been abandoned". 

The cost, in equipment, training and,, sadly, life's, has been enormous and shouldn't, couldn't, have gone on indefinitely. 

Despite the Taliban making positive noises the reports of their brutality continue to emerge.

An army that are a law unto themselves strolling into villages, towns and cities, taking what they want when they want.

As with all of these situations there will be exaggerated versions but there will, IMO, also be unheard horrors happening to the public on a daily basis.