St Mirren v St Johnstone, Sunday 29th August

3 minutes ago, eckthesaint said:

Pretty disappointed with the performance today. As bad a midfield performance I've seen in a long time. Even McGrath was not firing on all cylinders. The strikers for some reason bore the brunt of the midfields lack lustre performance with Main and Brophy getting hooked for Dennis and Erwin. Pointless when the issue was in midfield. Why Jim never at least took Erhahon off for McPherson I'll never know. Particularly when Erhahon got his 1st booking. I'm not one of the screaming boo boys Erhahon haters that slag him off every week on this site but he definitely had a stinker today. There has been signs of a decent player over the last year and I hope he gets back on track. Today though he looked sluggish and his passing was poor but then tbh nobody in midfield looked up for it today. 

We were lucky to get 0 - 0 today. 

Check Facebook, you'll see some serious comments about him, nothing on here matches that tirade.

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Check Facebook, you'll see some serious comments about him, nothing on here matches that tirade.

Im glad supporters are waking up to Erharhon. Watch highlights, and follow his movement, its schoolboy stuff; not just him, others are never SPL players.

Remember, our clubs got humiliate in Europe. 

Shite, shite and over paid shite

Edited by Delpierro2

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Don't know why everyone is complaining about midfielders. According to Jim we don't need any as every defender is under instruction to fire high balls as far up the pitch as possible and when it comes straight back fire a high ball as far up the pitch as possible and when ... Ach I am sure you can work it out.

Indeed. Rae got punted for similar football. And being a c**t. 

Ethan got his first booking taking one for ghe tean, his second was because he didn't play a simple pass with his right foot instead tried his trade mark turn yo get it on to his left ghat everyone knows about lost the ball and lunged, it is his major weakness and nothing seems to have been done to address it, between him and McCarthy they were able to break up play (not before surrendering loads of territory) but neither could find a team mate when it mattered.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

This idea that we only finished where we did because other teams are "honking" has been thrown around for years and is, if you don't mind me saying, its utter drivel.

Not sure what team you think we are but I've seen nothing to suggest we should be taking it for granted we should be beating Hearts or St Johnstone.

Dundee are just up, not the best game to get them at the start of the season.

But FS others were honking and the tactics thing was plain to see against hamilton pre split game. Went 1 up then instead of keeping on front foot went into hard to beat mode and we all know what happened. Hindsight a great thing and is great we all don't have same opinion👍

Given what I'd really say player wise, an improvement to last season i think its fair to suggest a rather better return pointwise and team performance.

I dont think we played well today, especially second half, and the formation and team selection was strange to say the least.

However, some of the comments are an over reaction. I think the selection may have been influenced by losing 6 last week - in that respect it worked as we kept a clean sheet, and Jak was back to his usual form. 

We are clearly playing a system the players arent comfortable with and need to sort that asap, but we need to understand this is a very competitive league, there is no obvious weak teams and outside the bigots, everyone can beat everyone else. Today was quite an even game, we didnt lose it, and were playing against a team who finished 5th and won two cups last season. A bit of perspective is required.

Just saw our disallowed goal on telly. Very unlucky to get it disallowed and should’ve been 1-0 up. How McCann didn’t see a second yellow for scything down McGrath on the edge of the box is an absolute joke. Yes, we are definitely struggling at the moment but not getting much help from decisions either. 

18 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I dont think we played well today, especially second half, and the formation and team selection was strange to say the least.

However, some of the comments are an over reaction. I think the selection may have been influenced by losing 6 last week - in that respect it worked as we kept a clean sheet, and Jak was back to his usual form. 

We are clearly playing a system the players arent comfortable with and need to sort that asap, but we need to understand this is a very competitive league, there is no obvious weak teams and outside the bigots, everyone can beat everyone else. Today was quite an even game, we didnt lose it, and were playing against a team who finished 5th and won two cups last season. A bit of perspective is required.

Who do you think we are capable of beating in our present state?

St Johnstone played us off the park football-wise by the proverbial mile. They maybe didn't score today but they have 4 or 5 forwards who would walk into our team.

Who do you think we are capable of beating in our present state?
St Johnstone played us off the park football-wise by the proverbial mile. They maybe didn't score today but they have 4 or 5 forwards who would walk into our team.

No they don’t. They have Middleton, who’d provide some pace, but they have the exact same issues up front as we do - in Callum Hendry, they have possibly the worst striker in the league, and Stevie May is a 3-a-season striker if that.

What they do have, though, is a functioning midfield, even with Davidson getting rested.

5 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

This is relegation form.

We don't have a clue how to pass the ball or create a chance.

I agree that we were not great today. But everyone should try to remember that we have lost to Celtic (1st or 2nd) and Hearts (top 4 finish, IMHO). As @faraway saint rightly stated, St. Johnstone are a good side who won both cups last season, and drew with Galatasaray in Istanbul, for heaven's sake!

I thought the booing today was awful...a bit like the queues to get in. Speaking of which, I saw a big bearded lad remonstrate with the SLO outside the turnstiles of the West stand. It was clear there was some technical issue that prevented him from entering, and he was extremely frustrated and stated that he had been a season ticket holder for twenty years - the SLO wouldn't take his word for it and he was refused entry. What is happening to our club? The boy should have been given the benefit of the doubt. Better to give one chancer entry once, given the circumstances, than to treat a loyal fan like that.  

Thought first half we were OK and should have scored a couple, no idea why the goal was chalked off. Dunne is a specimen. Tall, fast and decent in air. Loves a 40 yard diagonal that won't always work but splendid when it does.

Thought McCarthy did OK in holding mid. Ethan has bulked up but now turns slower than the Titanic. Should have been subbed.

2nd half chronic. No pace in wide areas. We need a bona fida RWB to make the system work. Wingers won't sign up knowing that.

Interesting end to window.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:
6 hours ago, Slash said:
I reckon there must be less than 100 fans in that away stand. Appalling decision by St Mirren to not sell tickets to St Johnstone fans. 

And they are all St Johnstone fans anyway so why not give them tickets? Another crazy club decision.

They were! Fair play to them. A bit sheepish at first, but they all soon realised they were amongst their own and were applauding their substitutions by the end.

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Tony now on the telly so think i will go for a 15 min walk now  😂

Ach, I love the guy's enthusiasm, but I sometimes think he says the stuff he does to win a bet... 

55 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Agree that we were better first half. Agree that we were playing a team that had a great season last year. Also agree that this is a very competitive league. The rout by Celtic apart we have matched two teams and lost narrowly by one goal to a club that is currently joint top. We do need pace and we do need to find teammates with passes more often. Do those and results will come. Nothing between the bottom five clubs.

Another 'If only....' day, I'm afraid. Team played well first half. Scored a goal which was disallowed (wrongly)  and should have got another. Similar to the Livi game where we should have been at least one ahead by halftime.

What a turnaround in the second half. Couldn't find a teammate with a pass and midfield completely went AWOL. When that happened in the Livi game, McGrath rolled up his sleeves and went looking for the ball. But yesterday there were worrying signs that the rest of the midfield is now pulling him down to their level.  He was rarely seen in the last 30 minutes of the game. I'm now undecided between hoping that he stays and can help the others find form again, and thinking we'd be as well letting him go and getting some money for him.

At least McCarthy was back in the team yesterday, but not sure he was in the best position for him.

Erhahon now out for the next game after a needless foul in the final minutes. Is Power still suspended for that as well? If so, we will struggle in midfield again. 

The only correct thing JG said after the game was that we need some real pace in the team. Let's hope we can get someone in this week.

COYS!!

14 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Another 'If only....' day, I'm afraid. Team played well first half. Scored a goal which was disallowed (wrongly)  and should have got another. Similar to the Livi game where we should have been at least one ahead by halftime.

What a turnaround in the second half. Couldn't find a teammate with a pass and midfield completely went AWOL. When that happened in the Livi game, McGrath rolled up his sleeves and went looking for the ball. But yesterday there were worrying signs that the rest of the midfield is now pulling him down to their level.  He was rarely seen in the last 30 minutes of the game. I'm now undecided between hoping that he stays and can help the others find form again, and thinking we'd be as well letting him go and getting some money for him.

At least McCarthy was back in the team yesterday, but not sure he was in the best position for him.

Erhahon now out for the next game after a needless foul in the final minutes. Is Power still suspended for that as well? If so, we will struggle in midfield again. 

The only correct thing JG said after the game was that we need some real pace in the team. Let's hope we can get someone in this week.

COYS!!

If McGrath didn't take penalties everybody would think he was shite, has never played a full 90 minutes.

18 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

Naw! Saying he’s a 17 goal a season midfielder does make him sound better than he is as most were penalties but he definitely not shite. 

Not shite but if Erwin had scored 4 or 5 goals and 12 penalties then folk would think he was great. McGrath is decent for short spells in games but posted missing most of the time. Maybe be better with decent players roundabout him but imagine going out and having Main,Brophy, Erwin, Erhahon as your team....feck that...

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Hendo said:

I don't disagree with your overall sentiment but the Fakes and Dungdee were both there for the taking. 

Had we done either or both, we'd  be sitting a lot prettier.

We had a decent goal chopped off today too.

6 or 7 defenders today was totally daft. Cammy or Flynn or both should have played.

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

I don't disagree with your overall sentiment but the Fakes and Dungdee were both there for the taking. 

Had we done either or both, we'd  be sitting a lot prettier.

We had a decent goal chopped off today too.

6 or 7 defenders today was totally daft. Cammy or Flynn or both should have played.

Goodwin seems to have a real lack of belief in players he signs. He's more scared of losing than trying to win a game. Is terrified of opposition players...

Whilst chances were created yesterday, our age old problems still surfaced.

We are in much the same place as the Perth fakes in that they don't have the money (like us) to splash out on a real striker who could regularly contribute 12+ league goals in a season. Watching yesterday's game was like deja vu or maybe Groundhog Day in that we managed to squander chances that others would take (e.g. Hibs against Livi).

Whilst I won't disagree that we are in a group in the lower half that can't be separated by much, that surely points to a struggle again for the remainder of the season. A single point here and there will only inevitably lead to pressure later in the season.

We desperately need at least one , if not two players that can get to the bye line and cut the ball back.