Jump to content

St Mirren v St Johnstone, Sunday 29th August


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I dont think we played well today, especially second half, and the formation and team selection was strange to say the least.

However, some of the comments are an over reaction. I think the selection may have been influenced by losing 6 last week - in that respect it worked as we kept a clean sheet, and Jak was back to his usual form. 

We are clearly playing a system the players arent comfortable with and need to sort that asap, but we need to understand this is a very competitive league, there is no obvious weak teams and outside the bigots, everyone can beat everyone else. Today was quite an even game, we didnt lose it, and were playing against a team who finished 5th and won two cups last season. A bit of perspective is required.

Agree that we were better first half. Agree that we were playing a team that had a great season last year. Also agree that this is a very competitive league. The rout by Celtic apart we have matched two teams and lost narrowly by one goal to a club that is currently joint top. We do need pace and we do need to find teammates with passes more often. Do those and results will come. Nothing between the bottom five clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Another 'If only....' day, I'm afraid. Team played well first half. Scored a goal which was disallowed (wrongly)  and should have got another. Similar to the Livi game where we should have been at least one ahead by halftime.

What a turnaround in the second half. Couldn't find a teammate with a pass and midfield completely went AWOL. When that happened in the Livi game, McGrath rolled up his sleeves and went looking for the ball. But yesterday there were worrying signs that the rest of the midfield is now pulling him down to their level.  He was rarely seen in the last 30 minutes of the game. I'm now undecided between hoping that he stays and can help the others find form again, and thinking we'd be as well letting him go and getting some money for him.

At least McCarthy was back in the team yesterday, but not sure he was in the best position for him.

Erhahon now out for the next game after a needless foul in the final minutes. Is Power still suspended for that as well? If so, we will struggle in midfield again. 

The only correct thing JG said after the game was that we need some real pace in the team. Let's hope we can get someone in this week.

COYS!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Another 'If only....' day, I'm afraid. Team played well first half. Scored a goal which was disallowed (wrongly)  and should have got another. Similar to the Livi game where we should have been at least one ahead by halftime.

What a turnaround in the second half. Couldn't find a teammate with a pass and midfield completely went AWOL. When that happened in the Livi game, McGrath rolled up his sleeves and went looking for the ball. But yesterday there were worrying signs that the rest of the midfield is now pulling him down to their level.  He was rarely seen in the last 30 minutes of the game. I'm now undecided between hoping that he stays and can help the others find form again, and thinking we'd be as well letting him go and getting some money for him.

At least McCarthy was back in the team yesterday, but not sure he was in the best position for him.

Erhahon now out for the next game after a needless foul in the final minutes. Is Power still suspended for that as well? If so, we will struggle in midfield again. 

The only correct thing JG said after the game was that we need some real pace in the team. Let's hope we can get someone in this week.

COYS!!

If McGrath didn't take penalties everybody would think he was shite, has never played a full 90 minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, God of war said:

If McGrath didn't take penalties everybody would think he was shite, has never played a full 90 minutes.

Naw! Saying he’s a 17 goal a season midfielder does make him sound better than he is as most were penalties but he definitely not shite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

Naw! Saying he’s a 17 goal a season midfielder does make him sound better than he is as most were penalties but he definitely not shite. 

Not shite but if Erwin had scored 4 or 5 goals and 12 penalties then folk would think he was great. McGrath is decent for short spells in games but posted missing most of the time. Maybe be better with decent players roundabout him but imagine going out and having Main,Brophy, Erwin, Erhahon as your team....feck that...

Edited by God of war
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Hendo said:

I dont think we played well today, especially second half, and the formation and team selection was strange to say the least.

However, some of the comments are an over reaction. I think the selection may have been influenced by losing 6 last week - in that respect it worked as we kept a clean sheet, and Jak was back to his usual form. 

We are clearly playing a system the players arent comfortable with and need to sort that asap, but we need to understand this is a very competitive league, there is no obvious weak teams and outside the bigots, everyone can beat everyone else. Today was quite an even game, we didnt lose it, and were playing against a team who finished 5th and won two cups last season. A bit of perspective is required.

I don't disagree with your overall sentiment but the Fakes and Dungdee were both there for the taking. 

Had we done either or both, we'd  be sitting a lot prettier.

We had a decent goal chopped off today too.

6 or 7 defenders today was totally daft. Cammy or Flynn or both should have played.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

I don't disagree with your overall sentiment but the Fakes and Dungdee were both there for the taking. 

Had we done either or both, we'd  be sitting a lot prettier.

We had a decent goal chopped off today too.

6 or 7 defenders today was totally daft. Cammy or Flynn or both should have played.

 

Goodwin seems to have a real lack of belief in players he signs. He's more scared of losing than trying to win a game. Is terrified of opposition players...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whilst chances were created yesterday, our age old problems still surfaced.

We are in much the same place as the Perth fakes in that they don't have the money (like us) to splash out on a real striker who could regularly contribute 12+ league goals in a season. Watching yesterday's game was like deja vu or maybe Groundhog Day in that we managed to squander chances that others would take (e.g. Hibs against Livi).

Whilst I won't disagree that we are in a group in the lower half that can't be separated by much, that surely points to a struggle again for the remainder of the season. A single point here and there will only inevitably lead to pressure later in the season.

We desperately need at least one , if not two players that can get to the bye line and cut the ball back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Whilst chances were created yesterday, our age old problems still surfaced.

We are in much the same place as the Perth fakes in that they don't have the money (like us) to splash out on a real striker who could regularly contribute 12+ league goals in a season. Watching yesterday's game was like deja vu or maybe Groundhog Day in that we managed to squander chances that others would take (e.g. Hibs against Livi).

Whilst I won't disagree that we are in a group in the lower half that can't be separated by much, that surely points to a struggle again for the remainder of the season. A single point here and there will only inevitably lead to pressure later in the season.

We desperately need at least one , if not two players that can get to the bye line and cut the ball back.

St Johnstone regularly take over £1M more than us in revenue. Far better run club in many ways.

Edited by Slash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
1 hour ago, Slash said:
St Johnstone regularly take over £1M more than us in revenue. Far better run club in many ways.

But also the Brown family have bankrolled them for years. Without them they would be a decent championship team. Like Accies and County. Wages they pay don't tally with their home supports.

The issue with them being bankrolled is that when the time comes and inheritance is discussed amongst their family then quite possibly another Gretna comes to mind. I'd say Brooks Mileson's family were quite horrified at the amount that was being spent not only on Gretna but also helping subsidise some wages at Carlisle and workington.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
1 hour ago, Slash said:
St Johnstone regularly take over £1M more than us in revenue. Far better run club in many ways.

But also the Brown family have bankrolled them for years. Without them they would be a decent championship team. Like Accies and County. Wages they pay don't tally with their home supports.

I wish that were so but apart from a rights issue when he took control of the club 25 years ago, neither the Brown family nor the family business have put any money into the running of the club.  The additional revenue is from the non-football use of their ground and nothing else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish that were so but apart from a rights issue when he took control of the club 25 years ago, neither the Brown family nor the family business have put any money into the running of the club.  The additional revenue is from the non-football use of their ground and nothing else.
Yah and my granny snagged Winston Churchill. How easy is it to cook the books at football clubs. Look at Man City stadium naming rights and there's hundreds more like that.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, codfish said:


No they don’t. They have Middleton, who’d provide some pace, but they have the exact same issues up front as we do - in Callum Hendry, they have possibly the worst striker in the league, and Stevie May is a 3-a-season striker if that.

What they do have, though, is a functioning midfield, even with Davidson getting rested.

Saintees had More possession,  50% more shots,  100% more shots on target , 100% more corners .  At home against teams we hope to be competing against come the sharp end of the season, that is simply not good enough .

73254789-8D0E-4A49-BF6F-AEA4072D4D65.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yah and my granny snagged Winston Churchill. How easy is it to cook the books at football clubs. Look at Man City stadium naming rights and there's hundreds more like that.

He’s right though - St Johnstone have cash in the bank and their function facilities are (outside of COVID) booked solid. They make more money from off-field stuff than on-field, and don’t rely on the Brown family bank-rolling them - indeed, Steve is well-known to be a tight bastard amongst their fans.

They’re also far more likely to spend any spare cash they have on infrastructure than on the playing side.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:
2 hours ago, rabuddies said:
I wish that were so but apart from a rights issue when he took control of the club 25 years ago, neither the Brown family nor the family business have put any money into the running of the club.  The additional revenue is from the non-football use of their ground and nothing else.

Yah and my granny snagged Winston Churchill. How easy is it to cook the books at football clubs. Look at Man City stadium naming rights and there's hundreds more like that.

So you have evidence of this?  You are accusing a buiness of posting false accounts, a qualified external auditor of being complicit in this and calling their past Chairman a liar for statements he has made in the press.  Why don't you go to the authorities with your information?

Edited by rabuddies
typos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...