Would you be in favour of a safe standing area at the SMISA Stadium?

W6er

Would you be in favour of a safe standing area at the SMISA Stadium?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mibbe for me. 

Where would this be?

How much would it cost? 

How much demand is there? 

edit: 

One thing I noticed from looking at the seating map today for St.Johnstone tickets is just how few seats are taken in W7. I would guess that’s the target audience but it appears we actually have very few season tickets there.

Edited by Maboza

42 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Mibbe for me. 

Where would this be?

How much would it cost? 

How much demand is there? 

edit: 

One thing I noticed from looking at the seating map today for St.Johnstone tickets is just how few seats are taken in W7. I would guess that’s the target audience but it appears we actually have very few season tickets there.

I know some of the young folk in W6 seem to go up there. In the past I have seen half a row vacate their seats and head down that way. Plus a lot of W7ers might not have the means to buy a season ticket. Could it be that safe standing will attract even more of them?

W7 seems the ideal place. I doubt it would cost much, and indeed I reckon it could be financed by SMISA. The onbly possible drawback is that it might require a slight reduction in seats in W6, or would make some of them a restricted view.

1 hour ago, W6er said:

*too

Seeing as Div has removed the edit button, I have to resort to creating a new post to correct the typo in my previous one. :)

Press three dots, lets u edit.

3 hours ago, Doakes said:

Used to be keen on it, but not sure it's worth the money - W7 is basically a standing area already 

Pulley system for displays would be a better use of money, like a lot of European clubs have 

Make W7 a safe standing area 

54 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Make W7 a safe standing area 

Off the top of my head the last time we discussed this with the club, a normal seat is £70 to replace. Safe standing works out at around £120 per seat. You'd need to replace every seat. As far as I know there's never been an injury in the Northbank section. It might look good from a PR POV, but not sure if it adds any true value since everyone stands already.

I'd rather see money put into the team, unless we're going to crowdfund it.

Pulley system for large displays would be a lot more useful than safe standing.

3.jpg

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Off the top of my head the last time we discussed this with the club, a normal seat is £70 to replace. Safe standing works out at around £120 per seat. You'd need to replace every seat. As far as I know there's never been an injury in the Northbank section. It might look good from a PR POV, but not sure if it adds any true value since everyone stands already.

I'd rather see money put into the team, unless we're going to crowdfund it.

Pulley system for large displays would be a lot more useful than safe standing.

3.jpg

Have both!?

44 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Have both!?

Why spend £40-50k for people to stand up in a place where people already stand up? 

Don't get me wrong - it's great PR when clubs do something like that for the fans, but there are many other issues and problems at the moment that need fixed before we consider something like that 

A pulley would be cool as f**k though! Take the displays to another level

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

Why spend £40-50k for people to stand up in a place where people already stand up? 

Don't get me wrong - it's great PR when clubs do something like that for the fans, but there are many other issues and problems at the moment that need fixed before we consider something like that 

A pulley would be cool as f**k though! Take the displays to another level

I guess to do so safely in a way that convinces insurers and local authorities who licence grounds that this is the case, perhaps

11 hours ago, Doakes said:

Used to be keen on it, but not sure it's worth the money - W7 is basically a standing area already 

Pulley system for displays would be a better use of money, like a lot of European clubs have 

Why not both?

A standing area would really improve the atmosphere. Personally I would love to be able to stand, and I'm no youngster.

ETA: I replied to Doakes' initial post without reading the rest of the thread. SMISA could easily afford to cover those costs, and it would make it more comfortable to stand, too.

Edited by W6er

Don't really have a problem with a safe standard area however those standing must not block the view of those sitting in adjacent areas. Not everyone is fit enough or wants to stand up for 2 hours. I support Slash's idea of using the area between the South and West Stands maybe at some point in the future but no point wasting money on it in W7 just now.

• 9 months later...
15 minutes ago, Rascal said:

What about these in the corners of the stadium going forward?

If you can find someone to fund them that would help. After all you have great contacts worldwide. The club don’t have the money or the requirement to add additional capacity as we rarely come close to filling the current stadium.