Sponsors

4 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Nice wee endorsement

Perhaps you could partner them in sponsorship ?

Digby Brown, where help is never faraway emoji2.png

Sadly their last comment online was from a disgruntled St Mirren Fan! But , as I said earlier, I know them from way back. A decent business.

Digby Brown benefit big style by being the unions solicitor of choice in Scotland.

Most the time If companies put their hand up to mistakes and investigate accidents objectively they avoid "parasites" 

I learnt a lot from an experienced health and safety manager who tought me to investigate honestly and if issues get your own insurance company involved to settle with the claimant to keep the costs down.

32 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

Digby Brown benefit big style by being the unions solicitor of choice in Scotland.

Most the time If companies put their hand up to mistakes and investigate accidents objectively they avoid "parasites" 

I learnt a lot from an experienced health and safety manager who tought me to investigate honestly and if issues get your own insurance company involved to settle with the claimant to keep the costs down.

They have been since the late 1970’s Exiled Saint. I mentioned this earlier as I knew some of the partners and had some non-health and safety business dealings with them when I worked in Glasgow from 1978-1992. They stepped up a gear to target the public later than that but I know the strategy and mechanisms they use to generate leads. Very well thought out and executed in my opinion having met with the adviser who set it up a number of times. Clever on line strategy that works seamlessly in the background helping them to come out too on local searches throughout Scotland. Add TV and Sponsorship. A good business model .And a decent company IMO.

1 hour ago, exiledfan said:

Slightly off topic but, in my experience H&S managers (or whatever title they dream up) are so busy justifying their jobs they put people off the importance of health & safety.

Some of the decisions they make have an adverse effect on the workforce and end up losing any faith the employees might have had.

Mostly lacking common sense and ignoring the needs of the company.

I should add not ALL H&S people are in this boat, just most. 

Back to Digby Brown, they've just guaranteed me a super luxurious holiday later in the year, or to be more accurate, the incompetent H&S manager and Plant manager in my workplace. :thumbs2

26 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Slightly off topic but, in my experience H&S managers (or whatever title they dream up) are so busy justifying their jobs they put people off the importance of health & safety.

Some of the decisions they make have an adverse effect on the workforce and end up losing any faith the employees might have had.

I should add not ALL H&S people are in this boat, just most. 

Back to Digby Brown, they've just guaranteed me a super luxurious holiday later in the year, or to be more accurate, the incompetent H&S manager and Plant manager in my workplace. :thumbs2

I would turn that argument on its head. A company wouldn't ignore a lawyer or an account. You wouldn't ignore a doctor.

It's almost cultural in the UK that health and safety is a bit of nonsense to be ignored and a reason that hse managers get the attitude above.

If the company had listened and enforced the advice maybe you wouldn't be going on a luxurious holiday? I would suggest it's incompetent management that is the issue. 

8 hours ago, exiledfan said:

I would turn that argument on its head. A company wouldn't ignore a lawyer or an account. You wouldn't ignore a doctor.

It's almost cultural in the UK that health and safety is a bit of nonsense to be ignored and a reason that hse managers get the attitude above.

If the company had listened and enforced the advice maybe you wouldn't be going on a luxurious holiday? I would suggest it's incompetent management that is the issue. 

I think you've made a bit of an assumption here.

The H&S manager was well aware of this particular problem, which had been an ongoing issue for SIX months and impossible to miss.

In fact, on the very day of the accident this H&S manager walked past the area, looked at the dangerous area and strolled right past.

I had tried to make them, the workshop supervisor, the H&S manager and the factory manager, aware of the possible consequences by "jokingly" saying that if I had an accident they would be hearing from Digby Brown, how prophetic. 

Ultimately it's the person at the top of the tree that's held responsible, especially if serious injury or death occurs, so you have a point, but in this case the three mentioned above are all equally culpable.   

Edited by faraway saint

The H&S guy in my place came up to me 1 day while i was standing at my workplace. 

He said nothing, but was looking at the duckboard that i was standing on and shaking his head.

Problem i ask, yes he said, i am thinking the duckboard is a hazard .

In what way i ask since i have  been standing on it for 30 years. 

Fire hazard he said since it is made of wood.

After i stopped laughing, i then informed him i assume his wooden desk and thousands of bits of paper in his office would be going as well.

He said nothing for a while then just walked off.

Few months later, he was made redundant.

I worked in the Machine Shop in Babcock and the job got harder and harder to do with no thanks to guys like him.

Of all the H&S guys i knew, none had any machining background and no common sense. 

A duckboard is just some wooden slats put together since standing on wood was more comfortable than concrete. 

21 hours ago, faraway saint said:

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

The H&S guy in my place came up to me 1 day while i was standing at my workplace. 

He said nothing, but was looking at the duckboard that i was standing on and shaking his head.

Problem i ask, yes he said, i am thinking the duckboard is a hazard .

In what way i ask since i have  been standing on it for 30 years. 

Fire hazard he said since it is made of wood.

After i stopped laughing, i then informed him i assume his wooden desk and thousands of bits of paper in his office would be going as well.

He said nothing for a while then just walked off.

Few months later, he was made redundant.

I worked in the Machine Shop in Babcock and the job got harder and harder to do with no thanks to guys like him.

Of all the H&S guys i knew, none had any machining background and no common sense. 

A duckboard is just some wooden slats put together since standing on wood was more comfortable than concrete. 

Not uncommon Tam, pretty much my experience, although, not all are useless lumps of wood, just most. :wink:

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Not uncommon Tam, pretty much my experience, although, not all are useless lumps of wood, just most. :wink:

I found the small CNC m/c no harder to work.

Larger CNC and manual m/c were harder due to the amount of plastic that you need to work round.

Thankfully all in the past for me now. 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, faraway saint said:

I'd like to thank our sponsors, Digby Brown, for helping me gain a considerable sum from my employers who admitted negligence, leading to me having a nasty accident.

The final amount was 50% above any amount I had seen for similar accidents.

so you regularly get to see what other people get in compensation?  Are you a H&S manager?

On 11/20/2021 at 3:06 PM, BuddieinEK said:

Dick.
Unlike you, I do not rely on support or approval.

So sorry to intrude on your forum. I know you like to chase everyone else away and have it to yourself!

I still think they are parasites that I'd rather not have associated with our family club (OF games excluded)!

Example...

Our daycare minibus scraped the raised boot of a hatchback car which was raised as the owner was removing shopping.

All details were exchanged amicably. We accepted liability.

The following year when we were due to renew insurance, our insurers declined and we had to switch. I had no idea why.

Our new insurers informed us that the previous company had made a 16k settlement for personal injury of the driver (who wasn't even in the car).

Not only were we not able to contest it... We were not informed!

Parasites that encourage dishonesty and a blame culture.

As a H&S manager who has seen dozens of claims settled over the years, I have to say that companies like DB provide a fantastic service.  I often see people who REALLY deserve and need a decent sum go empty handed because they either have poor or no legal advice,  Even if the claim is against the company that i represent i welcome it when deserving cases are settled.  To attack DB in this way is completely unwarranted.

Edited by beyond our ken

7 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

so you regularly get to see what other people get in compensation?  Are you a H&S manager?

It was a bit of research and I found comparable cases/settlements.

Admittedly these were only a guide but my final settlement was considerably above any similar cases that I found, and also my representative from Digby Brown was pleasantly surprised by the offer.

I have been a H&S manager, doesn't interest me as I find the subject, whild very important, less than interesting & it gave me little/no job satisfaction. 

Too slow moving and embroiled in company politics, I leave that to people who prefer that type of career. 

Edited by faraway saint