League structure review for revenue boost

kevo_smfc

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

This week it was announced 5 clubs...Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee and Dundee United have commissioned Deloitte to conduct a review of the league with a view to unlocking new revenue.

I am not sure how these 5 clubs came together, whether one club got the ball rolling and invited the rest of the top flight clubs to join them.

Do you feel that we should have joined the five clubs if we were invited to do so and what do you think would be a perfect scenario solution to get a better share of income? 

Could it also be the end of Doncaster if it's found that he has not been performing at the best possible solution for all clubs rather than two.

Whatever the outcome, I personally still wish for a 16 team league with a split at 30 games and include the championship top 2 teams as part of a bottom half split (I think the Belgian league works like this). Whether that would help generate more income with more viewing figures I'm not sure.

Edited by kevo_smfc

8 minutes ago, guinness said:

Most of them American owned. Always suspicious of them. Probably no relegation and a draft system.

Would it really be a bad thing? Meaning that possibly lg2 clubs even maybe some lg1 clubs would be development teams for young players and if using the American system, a wage cap too. Spl might not turn onto a 2 horse race like every season.

8 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

16 team league I agree with. But SKY won't have that. Their paying the money for 4 old firm games. Their not interested in any other teams. Sad but true.

There is still potential for 3 OF games with a 16 team league and the off chance they meet each other in the cups if they also have rights to that. We need to find a way of raising the profile of our game without depending on a TV broadcaster dictating those sort of terms that only benefits two teams and that is probably the first and foremost to why there isn't a better playing field for the rest of the clubs hence the review. 

To run without a proper league sponsor for a year was criminal alone.

Looking at other countries of similar level that are doing things much better, im sure will be used as a possible basis to explore how money can be generated and distributed much fairer. 

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

There is still potential for 3 OF games with a 16 team league and the off chance they meet each other in the cups if they also have rights to that. We need to find a way of raising the profile of our game without depending on a TV broadcaster dictating those sort of terms that only benefits two teams and that is probably the first and foremost to why there isn't a better playing field for the rest of the clubs hence the review. 

To run without a proper league sponsor for a year was criminal alone.

Looking at other countries of similar level that are doing things much better, im sure will be used as a possible basis to explore how money can be generated and distributed much fairer. 

Just look at rugby league  for ideas 

10 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Just look at rugby league  for ideas 

Even their set up for promotion to the super league isn't as straight forward as you would think. Winning the championship doesn't guarantee promotion to super league but winning the grand final does. 

There has to be some change to league set up to make it more competitive more so with the fact the last team outwith the OF to win the premier was Aberdeen with fergie in charge.

Another couple of points are when sevco had to start again, why 

1) were they allowed a huge playing full-time squad to compete in a part time league, not exactly a level playing field.

2)were they allowed to get back into the league set up immediately, down here if a team goes tits up they have to start again way down and name changed to say AFC Wimbledon 

I'd say teams were coerced to letting it happen.

22 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Even their set up for promotion to the super league isn't as straight forward as you would think. Winning the championship doesn't guarantee promotion to super league but winning the grand final does. 

There has to be some change to league set up to make it more competitive more so with the fact the last team outwith the OF to win the premier was Aberdeen with fergie in charge.

Another couple of points are when sevco had to start again, why 

1) were they allowed a huge playing full-time squad to compete in a part time league, not exactly a level playing field.

2)were they allowed to get back into the league set up immediately, down here if a team goes tits up they have to start again way down and name changed to say AFC Wimbledon 

I'd say teams were coerced to letting it happen.

Not disagreeing with the main thrust of your point but I think the bit in bold is incorrect.....Wimbledon FC got permission to re-locate to Milton Keynes and became MK Dons if I remember correctly and didn't go "tits up" in the same manner as Rangers. Many teams down South have gone "tits up" and are still playing (Cardiff, Leeds, Charlton to name a few) although none were "liquidated" if my memory serves me accurately.

I also think that the full-time squad in a part-time league is a bit of a Red Herring.......there is no such thing as a "part-time" league as such, they are all senior teams and could be full-time if they wished (and could afford it). There is a bigger issue in that the new club were allowed to constantly and consistently outspend their income with no consideration given to "financial fair-play" from our governing bodies. 

Edited by WeeBud

What I’d like to see 

- bigger leagues to allow more top fight football of historic, good derbies such as Renfrewshire & Ayrshire 

- advertising & promotion of these fixtures that actually allows more visibility to grow the clubs interest 

- fairer distribution of income to allow more clubs to be competitive & increase the excitement in the game 

- rules on club developed, home grown players in starting 11s to really focus on youth development & create more exciting youngsters for the national team & sell on income 

What I think we’ll get recommended 

- 10 team top flight to guarantee 4 fixtures against the bigot brothers 

- league sponsor & tv income based more on appearances & club sizes to consolidate income with bigger clubs 

- even more matches of top teams on the Tv to reduce further 3pm Saturday fixtures 

20 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

I am not sure how these 5 clubs came together, whether one club got the ball rolling and invited the rest of the top flight clubs to join them.

Do you feel that we should have joined the five clubs if we were invited to do so and what do you think would be a perfect scenario solution to get a better share of income? 

I heard that these clubs tried to contact us but, despite e-mailing and phoning. couldn't get an answer.

• 2 weeks later...
Some interesting stuff here………….
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58699735
Ron Gordon is obviously on drugs. Refs are poor. It's over priced. The product on the park is poor and the SPFL are running scared of the old firm. Oh yeah we allow plastic pitches in our top league. Marks out of 10..2