Motherwell v Saint Mirren 27 October 21

Rascal

I thought McAllister was good too. However he needs to stop consistently cutting inside onto his left foot and getting his shots blocked. Defenders know exactly what he’s going to do. 
I have been very critical of McAllister in the past although that was mostly due to his health/fitness issues which meant he was often a luxury passenger. But credit to him tonight for working a lot harder and being more game aware than usual.

Great fightback and a corker from Brophy to get back in it. Thought our penalty was the right call and I think that the keepers trailing foot was just off the line so the linesman's decision was correct - but, being honest, I'd have been RAGING if it had been given against us.

Motherwell fans furious about our penalty should take a look at the highlights from Ibrox - now THAT is a 'soft' 'penalty' - outrageous!

Edited by southsidebud

10 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

A good few posts questioning my view that we got out of jail tonight on the basis that we were the better team.

First of all I don’t dispute we were the better team. That’s what make is it all the more frustrating. In fact I’d go as far as saying Motherwell were absolute dogshite and despite that, not only did we not beat them we were lucky to get a draw.

We were absolutely powder puff in a totally dominant first half. Barely created a decent chance of note.

Came out second half and gifted Motherwell 2 goals.

We only got a draw tonight because of a very soft penalty and a highly dubious decision for a retake. 

For me we can play all the fancy football in the middle of the park that we want, but if we can’t put teams away when we’re dominant and we can’t defend properly, then we’re going to achieve f**k all.

The only positive I take from tonight’s performance is that we were 2-0 down and got a point. Hence, got out of jail.

I’ll take that though.

I take your points. However it was not too long ago that we were having very few shots on goal in a game. Last night we had over 20. We could have been more clinical but their keeper had a great game too.

Yes we do need to improve further but we no longer look like relegation tusselers now.

Given 2 or 3 1st cchoice players were missing and guys like McAllister got their 1st start in a long time, overall we were pretty good. The mistakes will happen, but they have been happening more recently. Let's hope we will have a run with far fewer.

Let's hit Dee while they are down and improve our goal difference... then we might just be top 6 candidates.

1 hour ago, pod said:

Teams are dangerous after a humping.  We turned a corner after one.  

Yes of course that is a possibility too. But they were rank rotten last night.

If we get in front and grab another their mentality will be really tested.... 

We are playing the team 2nd bottom and theyve lost 5 to the bottom team a few days before we play them - nothing short of 3 points is good enough if we are serious contenders for top 6

42 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

However it was not too long ago that we were having very few shots on goal in a game. Last night we had over 20. 

Problem is, if some of those shots were passes to someone in a better position, they might have found the back of the net.   

1 hour ago, pod said:

Problem is, if some of those shots were passes to someone in a better position, they might have found the back of the net.   

Some were but no team ever gets it perfect in the last 3rd.

The fact that we're creating more chances surely increases our chances of making more good choices?

Dee full backs were abysmal yesterday. McAllister will run a mock if he keeps his place and plays as well again.

C O Y S

We are not clinical enough yet but Brophy, Ronan and McGrath all have a decent number of goals in them. Big Shaun and others have some too...

When we played RCounty we were so much better but ended up only winning by a goal.

We dropped 2 points last night.... time for more belief, less mistakes and a charge away from the bottom half.

We could be 5th if we beat Dee and the 2 above don't win...

Agree we are not clinical enough. For our total dominance of that first half Kelly didn't have one save to make. Loads of crosses into the box that no-one was there to get on the end of and not enough shooting. Ronan and Brophy shows what can happen when you shoot. The rest should pay attention.

I'd start with Dennis instead of Main against Dundee and get the wide men to pass into the box instead of cross.

55 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Agree we are not clinical enough. For our total dominance of that first half Kelly didn't have one save to make. Loads of crosses into the box that no-one was there to get on the end of and not enough shooting. Ronan and Brophy shows what can happen when you shoot. The rest should pay attention.

I'd start with Dennis instead of Main against Dundee and get the wide men to pass into the box instead of cross.

Variation is good in terms of getting the ball into the danger area. Shooting, unless another teammate is in a better position also. With 23 attempts at goal and 10 of those on target fine margins make a big difference. 

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

I'd be going one up again , with Kiltie slotting in to the McGrath role of supporting Brophy !

21 hours ago, billyg said:

I'd be going one up again , with Kiltie slotting in to the McGrath role of supporting Brophy !

Kiltie won't be starting for a couple of weeks according to Jim as he has to up his fitness level after his lay-off.