Should John Needham resign due to inappropriate comments?

8 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

In my opinion he has to go.  We can’t be in a situation where a senior member of our Board has brought such bad publicity to our club and we don’t take action. 

Had these tweets been decades ago , he may have a case to argue against it but with the most recent post being while he was a board member, he has shown a shocking lack of awareness and understanding of how this reflects on the Club. 

I think anyone who has written, or spoken in a derogatory way about any team's supporters have a bloody cheek to denounce remarks made in a stupid tweet. No matter how you play it, the "H" word, (not Hamm......), isn't  bigoted. The term was and is commonly used to describe the then rangers, now newco fans.

Yes. JN will probably fall on his sword but lets not kid ourselves. This has been manufactured by a self obsessed, overbearing, bunch of fan(nies) whose bigotry is renowned.

As for the powers that be. 

IF they are keen to investigate one Saint Mirren fan's comments then, for Christ's sake, be open and even and investigate the real bigotry that oozes out of the two @rsecheeks fan pages, not to mention the sh!te we have been subjected to on the terraces when they come a calling.

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I think anyone who has written, or spoken in a derogatory way about any team's supporters have a bloody cheek to denounce remarks made in a stupid tweet. No matter how you play it, the "H" word, (not Hamm......), isn't  bigoted. The term was and is commonly used to describe the then rangers, now newco fans.

Yes. JN will probably fall on his sword but lets not kid ourselves. This has been manufactured by a self obsessed, overbearing, bunch of fan(nies) whose bigotry is renowned.

IF they are keen to investigate one Saint Mirren fan's comments then, for Christ's sake, be open and even and investigate the real bigotry that oozes out of the two @rsecheeks fan pages, not to mention the sh!te we have been subjected to on the terraces when they come a calling.

I can 't see how he can stay and have any credibility as the chairman of our club after this. However I completely agree with you, it should open the floodgates as regards to their consistent  sectarian behaviour.

6 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Agree that consistency is required.

1 hour ago, StanleySaint said:

Again behaviour is apalling but is irrelevant to the topic in question, although it does allow you to trot out you're usual nonsense so points for consistency.

It is not at all irrelevant, it's indicative of their expectation that when they say jump ............. we are supposed to say, how high sir.

12 minutes ago, hamlet said:

It's easy to apologise but does he mean it?

He was unable to do his "job" yesterday by choosing not to meet and greet his guests as is normal practice.

Personally, I don't really care if he meant it or not. 

Never had any sectarian abuse or singing in my Cab lately. Those in the past were banned as will those in the future.

The Glasgow Clubs have been constantly sectarian at both St Mirren Parks and at every Stadium they play at for loads of decades.

Still they survive.

1 hour ago, Helmettroll said:

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't get away with singing there bigoted songs in his taxi..

They would be banned.

Have been in the past.

I was called a Bassa of both religious denominations in the one day a few years ago. It was the day of a Celtic v Rangers deceased match.

Abused by the bluenose because my Teams name begins with SAINT.

Abused by the greenyin for me simply attending Barrhead High and not St Luke school.

FECKEM :lol:

1 hour ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I don't think anyone is denying how hypocritical the OF are. We can't blame them for what came out JN's mouth, that's entirely down to him and it's unacceptable as chairman of our club.

Very disappointed in JN

No excuses

I had a skim through the posts and stand by my original comment, would Stuart Gilmour or Tony have behaved like this? I think we know the answer. One of the things that a lot of posters haven’t picked up on is the fact that he was in charge of RBS while some of these posts were published!! That really makes me think that Hubris played a big part. 

I suppose you need to ask yourself a couple of questions: if the chairman of Rangers or Celtic or Hearts, Hibs had posted a comment on Twitter about Stmirren fans polluting the area by there very existence, would you expect them to resign? Would these comments enhance that clubs standing in Scottish football? 

The Kibble have now weighed in & disassociated regarding the comments. Understandable as they need to protect their interests. Also sounds like there has been director crisis meetings called over the weekend. 

For me, there has to be some appreciation regarding separation of issues here. 
- Yes Rangers are not a shining example of how to act regarding a football club or a fanbase 

- yes there is hypocrisy in Rangers complaining about this but being quiet on their own fans behaviour & the same goes for their fans moaning on social media

- Yes the comments aren’t end of the world stuff & it plays on an easily offended society. 

All that aside, these are posts from the chairman of a Scottish top flight football club & some of them are entirely inappropriate ways to present yourself. It shows a lack of professionalism, awareness & an attitude that will make him and by default St Mirren a target for a long time to come if he remains in position. 

It has also clearly forced a wedge between him & our second biggest shareholders at the club, not to mention the views of SMISA & other club staff. 

Based on the tweets & behaviour alone, removing all the above noted whataboutery. This man has to step down or be voted out. 

21 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I had a skim through the posts and stand by my original comment, would Stuart Gilmour or Tony have behaved like this? I think we know the answer. One of the things that a lot of posters haven’t picked up on is the fact that he was in charge of RBS while some of these posts were published!! That really makes me think that Hubris played a big part. 

I suppose you need to ask yourself a couple of questions: if the chairman of Rangers or Celtic or Hearts, Hibs had posted a comment on Twitter about Stmirren fans polluting the area by there very existence, would you expect them to resign? Would these comments enhance that clubs standing in Scottish football? 

Sadly. RBS top management have not covered themselves in glory. Pre The Shred it was a pretty ethical organisation.

12 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

The Kibble have now weighed in & disassociated regarding the comments. Understandable as they need to protect their interests. Also sounds like there has been director crisis meetings called over the weekend. 

For me, there has to be some appreciation regarding separation of issues here. 
- Yes Rangers are not a shining example of how to act regarding a football club or a fanbase 

- yes there is hypocrisy in Rangers complaining about this but being quiet on their own fans behaviour & the same goes for their fans moaning on social media

- Yes the comments aren’t end of the world stuff & it plays on an easily offended society. 

All that aside, these are posts from the chairman of a Scottish top flight football club & some of them are entirely inappropriate ways to present yourself. It shows a lack of professionalism, awareness & an attitude that will make him and by default St Mirren a target for a long time to come if he remains in position. 

It has also clearly forced a wedge between him & our second biggest shareholders at the club, not to mention the views of SMISA & other club staff. 

Based on the tweets & behaviour alone, removing all the above noted whataboutery. This man has to step down or be voted out. 

Baz. Well argued. Agree

Edited by Rascal

When Turnbull Hutton stood on the steps at Hampden and publicly called out the Scottish Fitba Authorities for bring cheats and liars, why was he not pilloried by all “right minded people” and forced to resign?

he was telling the truth about Scottish fitba as he saw it.  No one denied it.  No one can deny that the Needham comments were witty and similarly not dishonest in any way.

if the SFA is rigged and lies and turns a blind eye to the myriad wrongs emanating from the new club, then where is any possibility for a level playing field?

sevco is a financial basket case, living monthly from hand to mouth in every year of its short existence, but the SFA refuses to act.

why should St Mirren punish one of their own just to placate bigots?

Will Sevco pay for the damage wrought by its fans?  Will StMirren finally have the balls to NOT welcome that trash to Paisley?

Reading the bent knee posts I have no high expectations.

I personally think that most fans throughout Scotland teams are wishing that more of their “leaders” would show similar disrespect, as it is well-deserved.

46 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

When you put a fan in charge of the club this sort of stuff has to be expected.

Stewart and Tony spent most of their career in the public eye or at least have been public names for the entire time social media has existed so the comparison between them and JN is unfair. 

The squinty bridge tweet aside, everything else was said prior to him being involved with the club in an official capacity.  He hasn't said anything most other St Mirren fans haven't also said.

It's wrong to hold him to a higher standard for things he said as a fan years ago. You can't pick some Joe Bloggs (a fan) off the street to be chairman then be surprised if they have a few unsavoury tweets from the past.