Should John Needham resign due to inappropriate comments?

1 minute ago, LargsBud said:

When you put a fan in charge of the club this sort of stuff has to be expected.

Stewart and Tony spent most of their career in the public eye or at least have been public names for the entire time social media has existed so the comparison between them and JN is unfair. 

The squinty bridge tweet aside, everything else was said prior to him being involved with the club in an official capacity.  He hasn't said anything most other St Mirren fans haven't also said.

It's wrong to hold him to a higher standard for things he said as a fan years ago. You can't pick some Joe Bloggs (a fan) off the street to be chairman then be surprised if they have a few unsavoury tweets from the past.

Fair enough in some parts but we are talking about someone who has held  high responsible positions in previous employment which to be honest, would probably use a fair bit if social media so no excuses. I've had a few colleagues who have got themselves in the crap over what they have put on social media and accused of bringing who I work for into disrepute.

Fair enough in some parts but we are talking about someone who has held  high responsible positions in previous employment which to be honest, would probably use a fair bit if social media so no excuses. I've had a few colleagues who have got themselves in the crap over what they have put on social media and accused of bringing who I work for into disrepute.

That's a bit rich when they've got you working for them. [emoji1787]

5 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

When you put a fan in charge of the club this sort of stuff has to be expected.

Stewart and Tony spent most of their career in the public eye or at least have been public names for the entire time social media has existed so the comparison between them and JN is unfair. 

The squinty bridge tweet aside, everything else was said prior to him being involved with the club in an official capacity.  He hasn't said anything most other St Mirren fans haven't also said.

It's wrong to hold him to a higher standard for things he said as a fan years ago. You can't pick some Joe Bloggs (a fan) off the street to be chairman then be surprised if they have a few unsavoury tweets from the past.

I don’t hold with Bigotry of any sort and I am by nature a moderate but this man chose to take up the position and as such be held up to scrutiny. Fan or no fan. Perhaps he might have considered saying no.

So St Mirren fans are now looking to the DailyRanger for moral guidance…?!!  :o

I liked this tweet from Bernie Senior….

Sectarian singing

Spitting at a player

Vandalising the stadium

Trashing seats

Breaking segregation rules

Silence.

How about…
one town, one team, one spine?

Just now, antrin said:

Sectarian singing

Spitting at a player

Vandalising the stadium

Trashing seats

Silence.

How about…

Not Bernie…. Sigh…

Herbie!

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

Sectarian singing

Spitting at a player

Vandalising the stadium

Trashing seats

Silence.

How about…

No Clown. I used that article to get the official quote from Kibble. St Mirren, having known for 3 days now this was coming are STILL saying NOTHING. Absoultely disgraceful. We all know how this is ending. Get it done tomorrow one way or the other and kill the story!

Stupid comments from someone who is supposed to be an intelligent business figure. 

The casual use of the word *** and similar need to be eradicated from our society. 

Any chance of this blowing over was gone the second that he apologised. Sevco fans were never going to accept it and it simply gave more air to the story. Now it’s just a matter of time. It would be good to think that it wasn’t just faux victimhood and that Rangers actually did want to stand up to sectarianism, but we know the game. That’s perhaps the saddest thing about all this.  

Final thought is that I don’t like to see Kibble sticking the boot in. Another example of why I don’t like that arrangement - they will always have to put Kibbles interests first, not St. Mirren’s. We’re in this mini-crisis and they’re issuing statements separate to the club. Not helpful and not a good look. 

4 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Stupid comments from someone who is supposed to be an intelligent business figure. 

The casual use of the word *** and similar need to be eradicated from our society. 

Any chance of this blowing over was gone the second that he apologised. Sevco fans were never going to accept it and it simply gave more air to the story. Now it’s just a matter of time. It would be good to think that it wasn’t just faux victimhood and that Rangers actually did want to stand up to sectarianism, but we know the game. That’s perhaps the saddest thing about all this.  

Final thought is that I don’t like to see Kibble sticking the boot in. Another example of why I don’t like that arrangement - they will always have to put Kibbles interests first, not St. Mirren’s. We’re in this mini-crisis and they’re issuing statements separate to the club. Not helpful and not a good look. 

Absolutely- I too am uncomfortable with their involvement in the club. It hasn’t made me feel closer to the club quite the opposite 

1 hour ago, antrin said:

When Turnbull Hutton stood on the steps at Hampden and publicly called out the Scottish Fitba Authorities for bring cheats and liars, why was he not pilloried by all “right minded people” and forced to resign?

he was telling the truth about Scottish fitba as he saw it.  No one denied it.  No one can deny that the Needham comments were witty and similarly not dishonest in any way.

if the SFA is rigged and lies and turns a blind eye to the myriad wrongs emanating from the new club, then where is any possibility for a level playing field?

sevco is a financial basket case, living monthly from hand to mouth in every year of its short existence, but the SFA refuses to act.

why should St Mirren punish one of their own just to placate bigots?

Will Sevco pay for the damage wrought by its fans?  Will StMirren finally have the balls to NOT welcome that trash to Paisley?

Reading the bent knee posts I have no high expectations.

I personally think that most fans throughout Scotland teams are wishing that more of their “leaders” would show similar disrespect, as it is well-deserved.

Sorry, I cannot deny that I don't find it witty.

A man of his stature should by now have learned the dangers of using social media

The OF have paid for damages in the past.

The young people that are training with the Kibble could have the place spick and span in no time.

15 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Interests are aligned here as they generally will be on everything. It’s in the Kibble & St Mirren’s interest to distance from the chairman & get him out of his role. 

15 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I believed the term used was because they regularly give the Nazi salute.

Remember reading that they got the name as their players had jobs in the shipyards when WW1 started and were classed as essential workers so weren't conscripted into the Army in 1914 

A Preferential decision for the teddy bears.... Wouldn't happen today  :rolleyes:  

7 hours ago, Maboza said:

We are in day 4 of this shit show and the silence from St Mirren and Smisa is deafening. Not a SINGLE word from them. Amateurs! Clearly Kibble thought they HAD to distance themselves fron the idiot Chairmans comments. If St Mirren think they can bury their head in the sand and this will go away they are very much mistaken. Says everything you need to know about Needham that he hasn't already resigned and saved the club being a laughing stock. If he is not prepared to do the right thing then he should be sacked. Today.

5 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Remember reading that they got the name as their players had jobs in the shipyards when WW1 started and were classed as essential workers so weren't conscripted into the Army in 1914 

A Preferential decision for the teddy bears.... Wouldn't happen today  :rolleyes:  

A bit of topic, but here is a good little fact, the actor Gordon Jackson who stared in the great escape worked in an engineering company in Hillington during World War Two so wasn’t available for conscription. 

24 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

A bit of topic, but here is a good little fact, the actor Gordon Jackson who stared in the great escape worked in an engineering company in Hillington during World War Two so wasn’t available for conscription. 

Building Spitfires :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I thought his acting displayed a much greater range of emotions than that…

10 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Ultimate hypocrisy is St Mirren fans rightly condeming Rangers for sectarianism but saying it is ok for our chairman to issue sectarian comments. No it isn't.

To be fair, I haven’t seen any sectarian comments from him.

several humorous football comments, but nothing about knees, blood, famine etc.

The squinty bridge toppling as it is overloaded by a mob of health-threatening lawbreakers resulting in a polluted Clyde is a rather witty quip.  Nothing malignant or sincere/serious in that.

and I am hoping that no comments so far, from SMISA/StMirren, means that the adults are giving this the consideration it needs - they’re Ignoring the feeble whataboutery of outraged bigots.

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

To be fair, I haven’t seen any sectarian comments from him.

several humorous football comments, but nothing about knees, blood, famine etc.

The squinty bridge toppling as it is overloaded by a mob of health-threatening lawbreakers resulting in a polluted Clyde is a rather witty quip.  Nothing malignant or sincere/serious in that.

and I am hoping that no comments so far, from SMISA/StMirren, means that the adults are giving this the consideration it needs - they’re Ignoring the feeble whataboutery of outraged bigots.

The anti-sectarian charity (the only one in Scotland), Nil By Mouth, regard the term 'hu.' as sectarian. This is supported by the SFA and the SPFL. No Club forums or websites allow the term and as you know it is not allowed on this forum like every other football forum in Scotland.

53 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The anti-sectarian charity (the only one in Scotland), Nil By Mouth, regard the term 'hu.' as sectarian. This is supported by the SFA and the SPFL. No Club forums or websites allow the term and as you know it is not allowed on this forum like every other football forum in Scotland.

There is neither a moral, legal nor logical reason why hun should be banned from any facet of Scottish football.  
They used to revel in the name, themselves.  Perhaps it IS embarrassment at how their fans behave in precisely that fashion at every opportunity, that has made them want it to not be pointed out?

it’s now banned on this forum because div chose to buy into the charade of the deid, tax-avoiding club still being the same club in its 12 year old manifestation as the one which went into liquidation.

I can understand why he did that as he runs websites into which he wants to welcome as broad a sweep of humanity as possible.  Clicks are important and non-discriminatory.  Clicks mean money.

Not calling a spade a spade placates the bigots.

Nil by mouth, SFA, SPFL bawa won’t end bigotry by kowtowing to their demands.