Should John Needham resign due to inappropriate comments?

The tweets do represent a serious lack of judgement from someone who should know better.

When you hold a senior position within a football club there isn't any question of straying into even mildy controversial topics on social media without there being a backlash - all of which does nothing but bring more bad publicity for SMFC.

The SFA investigation would suggest the isn't just going to go away quietly.

13 minutes ago, abersgonnygetye said:

The tweets do represent a serious lack of judgement from someone who should know better.

When you hold a senior position within a football club there isn't any question of straying into even mildy controversial topics on social media without there being a backlash - all of which does nothing but bring more bad publicity for SMFC.

I don’t really believe that the Scottish football’s permanent embarrassment is at all mild.  it’s a huge Orange elephant in the room.    And it should be made more controversial in order that it is discussed an an attempt is made to fix it.

John Needham is the adult here - not shunning an ugly reality but mocking it, not shutting away his real thoughts about it.  Taking the pish out of this sector of Scottish humanity which is sadly stuck in the 1930s or the 1690s.

18 minutes ago, abersgonnygetye said:

2 things.

it has already been put on the back burner… hoping it will go away.

How many outrageous transgressions of Scottish fitba rules and behaviour (i’m naming no particular new club, here) have already gone away quietly…?

Hypothetical Question

If SMFC are fined for these tweets. Who is picking up the tab

1. SMFC

2. SMISA

3. John 

4. The shareholders (which is predominantly SMISA  & the Kibble)

Apart from the Tweets, the real stupid part was not deleting them when he became a Director, then Chairman. 

Making the bridge tweet as a Director of the Club in my opinion lacks professionalism, irrespective of what club it was referring to. It brings the Club into disrepute 

1 minute ago, Brilliant Disguise said:

Hypothetical Question

If SMFC are fined for these tweets. Who is picking up the tab

1. SMFC

2. SMISA

3. John 

4. The shareholders (which is predominantly SMISA  & the Kibble)

Apart from the Tweets, the real stupid part was not deleting them when he became a Director, then Chairman. 

Making the bridge tweet as a Director of the Club in my opinion lacks professionalism, irrespective of what club it was referring to. It brings the Club into disrepute 

It’s a personal charge against Needham so it should be him that foots the bill 

2 minutes ago, Slash said:

Given that some Rangers fans battered each other in the streets earlier this year while celebrating a first trophy in many years, it is pretty stupid to make such comments (while an appointed director of our club) with your photo and name on a global social media site.

It only invites trouble to your door or while out with your family. We have seen personal attacks on high profile individuals before in Scottish football. 

well, I don't think his (possibly ex) wife will be much bothered

4 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

A bit of topic, but here is a good little fact, the actor Gordon Jackson who stared in the great escape worked in an engineering company in Hillington during World War Two so wasn’t available for conscription. 

A good many so-called entertainers whiled away the war in Scottish shipyards, engineering works and maritime offices.  Scotland had never been so attractive to middle class English & Scottish youths before the phrase "reserved occupation"  became prevalent.

I do wonder IF and it’s a big IF, the current Chairman has to go who stands to benefit most. I hear from two sources that there has been a boardroom row ongoing for some time including issues around the use of the family stand for old firm matches. Clearly someone trawled John Needham’s social media accounts and reported their contents to the Press and the SFA. I hope his possible departure does not open the door for a Kibble chairman. SMISA are you there ? Do you care ?

34 minutes ago, animal said:

I do wonder IF and it’s a big IF, the current Chairman has to go who stands to benefit most. I hear from two sources that there has been a boardroom row ongoing for some time including issues around the use of the family stand for old firm matches. Clearly someone trawled John Needham’s social media accounts and reported their contents to the Press and the SFA. I hope his possible departure does not open the door for a Kibble chairman. SMISA are you there ? Do you care ?

@Slash see what I mean? 

18 minutes ago, Slash said:

At the last SMiSA Q&A that you were unable to attend, a question was asked by a member of the audience as to why the Kibble were not in attendance and they were clearly told it was a SMiSA meeting - but what we were told is that at least one of the Kibble directors is a SMiSA member, so nothing to stop them being appointed. The decision on who remains/becomes Chairperson ultimately resides with the club board.

All hail Sunbed Jim. 😂

Wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.

Point I’m making though is the pure conspiracy theory & ‘Kibble bad’ mentality of a minority of our fanbase, as I referenced earlier in the thread.

1 hour ago, Slash said:

The first item on the SMiSA quarterly spend will be a sunbed for the boardroom. 😂 

This partnership has already had fairly significant issues for both parties. One thing we were promised at the last meeting was that we would see improved communications.

And I quote….

Club communications – this summer saw the club deal with some unprecedented circumstances. John admitted the timing and detail of some of the comms could have been better, albeit there were certain things the club couldn’t comment on at the time.

The board had a lengthy and frank chat and fan feedback was considered. Now, a comms plan is being devised to look at how the club will communicate more proactively on scheduled events and those that arise. John will issue regular chairman’s updates, as Gordon used to. The club will also use the BIG Partnership (PR agency) for big announcements and any potentially contentious issues.”

So I guess we are waiting on this PR agency to publish a statement.

I don’t personally think the communication was bad over the summer. Lots of statements, posts, emails, website news but I get others did. 

Regarding this specific scenario, the club should have moved by now to motion for his removal as chairman if he isn’t willing to stand down. In saying that, the unfortunate passing of Walter Smith and his position in Scottish football, I probably wouldn’t be doing it today now. (had it been planned) 

12 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I don’t personally think the communication was bad over the summer. Lots of statements, posts, emails, website news but I get others did. 

Regarding this specific scenario, the club should have moved by now to motion for his removal as chairman if he isn’t willing to stand down. In saying that, the unfortunate passing of Walter Smith and his position in Scottish football, I probably wouldn’t be doing it today now. (had it been planned) 

Why not? It will not affect the sports headlines tomorrow. Another minute is to long.

4 hours ago, Slash said:

In the case of Gordon Jackson he joined RR aged 15 before WWII in 1938. 

More pertinent to Albion's post than mine.  Gordon must have been doing  very important job at RR to justify him choosing not to join up when he reached his. majority. 

When i was an apprentice I was harangued by one of the older tradesman who told me that what I needed was a good spell i n the army, I asked him what he did in the war and his answer was "I was a plumber, it was a reserved occupation."

The ex-servicemen in the team took him to pieces then shunned him after that.

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Why is it bad taste?

It's, as @hamlet says, going to have any effect on anything and the sooner it's done, IF it does indeed happen, the better. 

Just in my view it would be bad taste, I feel it can be left to later in the week & leave the statements & press today to be about Smith 👍 

I hope you can just accept this as my opinion & won’t stoop to your usual low depths of trolling, name calling & belittling. 

29 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Just in my view it would be bad taste, I feel it can be left to later in the week & leave the statements & press today to be about Smith 👍 

I hope you can just accept this as my opinion & won’t stoop to your usual low depths of trolling, name calling & belittling. 

Your need to drag things out, by mentioning the highlighted part confirms you're an attention seeking twat.....................ooops, see what I did there? 

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Your need to drag things out, by mentioning the highlighted part confirms you're an attention seeking twat.....................ooops, see what I did there? 

You’re literally the biggest and most consistent attention seeker on the forum these days 🤣

You lash out to get the reactions you need, jumping in & trying to make yourself the centre of attention on practically every thread. You’re an embarrassment.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

^^^^^^^^ Ignore, the only way to stop him making every thread about him, or the fecking Kibble. :byebye

Something you’re physically incapable of doing. I also don’t comment on nearly as many threads as you on here (practically every single bloody one) 

I gave an opinion that had absolutely nothing to do with you and you’ve jumped in with your views & cried over it (as usual) 

Edited by bazil85