Should John Needham resign due to inappropriate comments?

On 10/25/2021 at 8:56 PM, proudtobeabuddy said:

I don't think anyone is denying how hypocritical the OF are. We can't blame them for what came out JN's mouth, that's entirely down to him and it's unacceptable as chairman of our club.

Nonsense. Why dont you try supporting your team. Those rascists are not our friends and John Needham to his credit has made that clear.  Its important that you get on the right side here. It because of this appeasing attitude that this insidious disease has been allowed to take root again.

Whats unacceptable is anti Irish racism. Please do not lose sight of that when you are bringing down a man who has had the courage to call it out.

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

Nonsense. Why dont you try supporting your team. Those rascists are not our friends and John Needham to his credit has made that clear.  Its important that you get on the right side here. It because of this appeasing attitude that this insidious disease has been allowed to take root again.

Whats unacceptable is anti Irish racism. Please do not lose sight of that when you are bringing down a man who has had the courage to call it out.

Ok Adolf. :lol:

Does going to the games since 1979 count as supporting your team? I support neither of the OF teams bigotry but I expect a bit of professionalism from our chairman. Having said that if John manages to stay as chairman he’ll have my support. Hopefully he’ll learn a lesson from this and be a bit more savvy in future.

10 hours ago, saint in exile said:

I know several fans of both arse cheeks who refer to themselves as H*ns or T*ms. When exactly does it become offensive? No doubt they and others use the words as a derogatory term for the other lot, but where does the boundary lie?

I think you make the point yourself. It is about context. Friend to friend it has some humour. In public when you are in a position of authority within the football world then funny it is not. Foolish  and provocative. Seats and graffiti anyone?

"let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

This of course is a suggestion to not criticize others when you personally are not perfect!

I'm not suggesting that what he wrote is either correct, or for that matter appropriate, especially for a figurehead of our club, but in this 'woke' society of ours, it takes very little for the media, or a group of 'perfect' individuals to bay for blood.

All this suggests to me that maybe society is changing. Are we in the process of becoming much more conservative in our beliefs, but at the same time much more precious in our apparent acceptance of what you say, do or watch? However there are a lot of hypocrites out there :whistle

In saying that I think there are far too many people who don't engage their brains before they rant into twitter, facebook or some other media and they (and he) need to learn that if you haven't anything appropriate to say, don't rant, just because you can!

If John does decide to go by mutual consent we could always ask Gerald Ratner to take his position on the board. He has been looking for something to do for the last 30 years

For the youngsters Gerald learned, the hard way, that when you  have the privilege to be in the higher echelons of a business that its best to keep your opinions to yourself.

If John does decide to go by mutual consent we could always ask Gerald Ratner to take his position on the board. He has been looking for something to do for the last 30 years
For the youngsters Gerald learned, the hard way, that when you  have the privilege to be in the higher echelons of a business that its best to keep your opinions to yourself.
I do believe you are talking cr@p! [emoji12]

5 hours ago, Slarti said:
5 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:
I do believe you are talking cr@p! emoji12.png

The Ratner effect is real, though. It tends to happen on here when a certain person posts on a thread and their posts bring the whole thread crashing down.

Feel it’s in no small part caused by people that get upset & react to certain posters (regardless of content), or practically beg for attention on threads.

You need oxygen, fuel & heat to start a fire. 

On 10/27/2021 at 11:11 PM, Rascal said:

I think you make the point yourself. It is about context. Friend to friend it has some humour. In public when you are in a position of authority within the football world then funny it is not. Foolish  and provocative. Seats and graffiti anyone?

He made these comments about H*ns when he was not in a position of authority within football though. Thats the point here. He was just a guy going to the games as a fan like the rest of us. 

1 minute ago, LargsBud said:

He made these comments about H*ns when he was not in a position of authority within football though. Thats the point here. He was just a guy going to the games as a fan like the rest of us. 

Not entirely correct.

Just now, LargsBud said:

He made the bridge comment weeks before being confirmed as chairman and whilst directly associated with the club governance structure. 

12 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

He made the bridge comment weeks before being confirmed as chairman and whilst directly associated with the club governance structure. 

I was referring to the other comments when he called them H*ns. But yes, the bridge one was pretty bad considering his position at the time.