Should John Needham resign due to inappropriate comments?

On 10/27/2021 at 2:19 PM, Livinginthepast said:

I think this John Needham sounds like a splendid fellow. Calling out the rascist bigots is not a crime, and its a disgrace that he hasnt received the support from the Club and fans that he deserves.

I am also disappointed in the so called fans on here who have critisised him. I think this 'Slash' is probably a Rangers fan. If Saints are your second team then we really dont need you.

No wonder our team got humped yet again at the weekend

Agree 100%

Just now, Slarti said:

Looks like someone can't keep their promise about not engaging with me unless I mention them. Dunno what he said in his reply, or what post he replied to, just got a notification that he replied in this thread. Oh well, silly wee baztard. :whistle

Point proven ^^^ 

11 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

He made these comments about H*ns when he was not in a position of authority within football though. Thats the point here. He was just a guy going to the games as a fan like the rest of us. 

It doesn't matter what position he was in at the time of his unacceptable unsavery joke  on human beings.

This is not what I expect of an individual representing me as Chairman of our club.

Since he seems to be unwilling to resign he has to be removed by his fellow Directors.

It doesn't matter what position he was in at the time of his unacceptable unsavery joke  on human beings.
This is not what I expect of an individual representing me as Chairman of our club.
Since he seems to be unwilling to resign he has to be removed by his fellow Directors.

You'll no' want me as chairman then, I've said much stronger stuff - all accurate but stronger, nonetheless. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

1 hour ago, hamlet said:

Yes, he made a joke about Sevco fans , who are unacceptable and unsavoury so called buman beings.

Well said John Needham.

He must stay.

7 hours ago, LargsBud said:

If he's planning to stay theres nothing else to communicate.

You've missed the point, communication is required to let everyone know exactly what is happening.

I'm astounded that people are trying to distance him from comments he made before he was "in a position of authority within football".

I certainly don't want a "punter" in charge of the football club. 

And trying write his "bridge" comment off as a joke shows a staggering lack of awareness of the implications.

If anyone thinks it's a joke they really need to reevaluate what's funny, it's just crass patter. 

Edited by faraway saint

53 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You've missed the point, communication is required to let everyone know exactly what is happening.

I'm astounded that people are trying to distance him from comments he made before he was "in a position of authority within football".

And trying write his "bridge" comment off as a joke shows a staggering lack of awareness of the implications.

If anyone thinks it's a joke they really need to reevaluate what's funny, it's just crass patter. 

For once. I agree

ps. You would know about crass patter

For the people squirming about and trying to write this bridge tweet off as s joke ask yourself, would it be a joke if it had been disabled people on the bridge, or black people?

If a Rangers supporter, or director, had tweeted the same tweet about St Mirren fans crossing a bridge the same people who are trying to dismiss this as a joke would be having a meltdown 

Aye, hypocrisy is stinking out the forum.

How many “likes” did the twit receive on Twatter for his “joke”? Some of these fans he was joking about have a history of chucking their rivals off the M8 bridge. Sometimes best to say nothing at all. I wonder if JN will attend Ibrox in an official capacity. We actually play them on Boxing Day. [emoji23] [emoji3037] 
I’m still waiting on “livinginthepast” to show JN’s tweets on calling out their anti-Irish catholic bigotry. That I’d commend him on.
So don't say anything, right or wrong, in fear that it offends some violent knuckledraggers?
For the people squirming about and trying to write this bridge tweet off as s joke ask yourself, would it be a joke if it had been disabled people on the bridge, or black people?
If a Rangers supporter, or director, had tweeted the same tweet about St Mirren fans crossing a bridge the same people who are trying to dismiss this as a joke would be having a meltdown 
Aye, hypocrisy is stinking out the forum.
Is a joke not a joke if some people can't see the intended humour? As I already said, it's not much of a joke but ...

10 hours ago, hamlet said:

Definition of joke. Something said to cause laughter. Take the ran:ers element out of it and ask yourself where is the laughter?

Take the element of “all gatherings of people during a pandemic” being illegal.

And “infected illegal bigots falling into and polluting the Clyde” away…

and yes, I kinda see you may have a point.

no sense of humour irony, but you may have a point.

I don’t like the behaviour of many of their fans and the toxic atmosphere and violent nature they bring. The reason for bringing the M8 bridge was that a Rangers fan in the past launched a Celtic fan off resulting in catastrophic brain injury. That’s a fact. It’s shameful.
Only an idiot would make a bridge collapse tweet while a St Mirren Director displaying their name and photo.
Their fans have shown in the past that they never forget who verbally abused them. Personally I think it’s downright stupid to issue such a tweet. He is 60 years old not a child. 
How would you feel if St Mirren fans were physically assaulted as a result of his verbal diarrhoea at future matches?
So you are saying that people should refrain from upsetting them in case they turn violent? f**k that! If St Mirren fans get attacked as a result of this, that is on those doing the attacking, both legally and morally.

Take the element of “all gatherings of people during a pandemic” being illegal.
And “infected illegal bigots falling into and polluting the Clyde” away…
and yes, I kinda see you may have a point.
no sense of humour irony, but you may have a point.

I took it to mean they were polluting the air and would equally pollute the water. Your take is probably better, though.

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not going into the rights or wrongs of what he has done with this communication point. 

The point I'm making is, If the he/the club has decided that he is going to stay then what else should they say in the media about it?

It looks like they plan to ride this storm out. If that's the case theres nothing else for them to say. They aren't going to keep bringing it up. Whether you think they are right allowing him to stay is a different matter but it's not to do with communication. 

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Can you spot Faraway in the Crowd 

score GIF

10 minutes ago, Slash said:

His comment 6months ago as a St Mirren director could have serious repercussions on innocent Saints fans. That’s what I’m trying to say. 

I’m sorry to say that there are individuals in our society that would use his views as an excuse to physically another human being. I totally agree their actions would be wrong. You seem to think that it’s ok for JN to make such comments an official capacity. I don’t. Let’s leave it here as we have differing opinions.

For me, regardless of what side anyone sits on this, we should have had more of an update by now. A short apology on Twitter is not enough.