St Mirren v Ross County, Wed 1st Dec

faraway saint

Two more points dropped. Not taking our chances yet again. Tough run of games coming up too where we’ll likely look back at the last few games with regret. 
Hopefully we can turn things around in Aberdeen. Take it Shaughnessy is back for that? 
That wee lad Danny Mullen has started banging them in for the Dee…3 in 3..  

What has happened to McAllister? I hate singling anyone out after a collective cockup where only our keeper got anything close to pass marks ...

But I know he has ability... and I know he not only didn't show it tonight, but was guilty of giving the ball away cheaply and shocking final balls just about every time.

Only Tanser ran him close in the wasting the ball stakes.

McGrath may have been anonymous, but others had more of a negative impact which is a real worry.

I genuinely expect better from trained professionals than the fayre offered up tonight!

7 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Two more points dropped. Not taking our chances yet again. Tough run of games coming up too where we’ll likely look back at the last few games with regret. 
Hopefully we can turn things around in Aberdeen. Take it Shaughnessy is back for that? 
That wee lad Danny Mullen has started banging them in for the Dee…3 in 3..  

Aye, many on here were shouting for the Dundee manager to be sacked only a few weeks ago.

Fickle. 

image.thumb.png.61771fa44dadb91ac6fd219d7e58705a.png

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

Can’t get a game for a championship side, not the answer. 

To be fair we seem to sign new strikers every season in hope more than anything else. A lot of the problems from what I've seen this season is there isn't a lot of quality balls going into the box from wide areas, the wing back crap doesn't work, and the players don't seem to get it either.

I'd go as far to say the partnership of brophy and dennis would work better if they had 2 out and out wingers feeding ball into them but that would mean going back to a 442 or a more steady 352 which might suit better.

Problem with that is, we had 2 out and out wingers. Ok I think durmus wanted away anyway but connolly probably earning more in lower league EFL than he would do here so unfortunately it gets down to what teams will pay to what you get.

2 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

To be fair we seem to sign new strikers every season in hope more than anything else. A lot of the problems from what I've seen this season is there isn't a lot of quality balls going into the box from wide areas, the wing back crap doesn't work, and the players don't seem to get it either.

I'd go as far to say the partnership of brophy and dennis would work better if they had 2 out and out wingers feeding ball into them but that would mean going back to a 442 or a more steady 352 which might suit better.

Problem with that is, we had 2 out and out wingers. Ok I think durmus wanted away anyway but connolly probably earning more in lower league EFL than he would do here so unfortunately it gets down to what teams will pay to what you get.

It looks like the wing backs are just told to get the ball in and there’s no real quality. Goodwin and his staff must surely have stats to show how low a percentage of those balls are going into a good area? Then it’s an even smaller percentage for contesting the ball or getting an effort on target.  

Our move away from wingers seems to have unsurprisingly lost our ability to commit opposition defences or hit the bye line. It’s only when you pull players out of position that you have a chance to create a real chance of quality. It’s just not happening and the very few occasions that something is landing with the strikers they’re snatching at it. 

It’s not surprising and the strikers rarely seem to have any chance to get in behind a defence. 

We just seem so limited and seem to attack in hope rather than with any effective plan. 

17 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Your bang on mate 

Said before, I can take a poor performance if I think the players have given it everything & left it on the park.

That’s not what we seen tonight, absolutely furious at the indifferent, lacklustre performance from far too many St Mirren players. There was no heart, desire or drive from most and that is not acceptable.

Dennis was given his chance & blew it big time. Ronan & Tanser, near completely absent. One of the worst performances from McGrath in a St Mirren jersey. Brophy, tried to make himself look busy and fooled no one. Power, absolutely chronic. 

We’ve generally played quite well this season & been unlucky, it’s hard to believe that was largely the same team as Hearts at the weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Two wee strikers but all we do is throw aimless high balls hoping they may get on the end of them. How about actually passing to them or play the ball into space and give them a chance?

Fair comment. Lots of high balls played in.

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Said before, I can take a poor performance if I think the players have given it everything & left it on the park.

That’s not what we seen tonight, absolutely furious at the indifferent, lacklustre performance from far too many St Mirren players. There was no heart, desire or drive from most and that is not acceptable.

Dennis was given his chance & blew it big time. Ronan & Tanser, near completely absent. One of the worst performances from McGrath in a St Mirren jersey. Brophy, tried to make himself look busy and fooled no one. Power, absolutely chronic. 

We’ve generally played quite well this season & been unlucky, it’s hard to believe that was largely the same team as Hearts at the weekend. 

Thought Dennis played OK just not match sharp. not surprisingly as he's been sitting on the bench all season.  Jamie looks like he's downed tools and will most likely be off in January,  won't be such a bad thing if we can bring in a couple of wide players 

The difference is down to managers tactics we have generally been quite good away from home with the high press counter attack ball on deck tactics especially the 2 matches in Edinburgh but suddenly at home we hit panic mode from 1st minute last night it was like we were Livingston hit it as far up the pitch as you can and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:
9 hours ago, bazil85 said:

The difference is down to managers tactics we have generally been quite good away from home with the high press counter attack ball on deck tactics especially the 2 matches in Edinburgh but suddenly at home we hit panic mode from 1st minute last night it was like we were Livingston hit it as far up the pitch as you can and see what happens.

For me it's players, not management. We had 27 shots on goal, just don't see how you can manage against not winning that type of game. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:
10 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I tend to agree with this.

I'm not convinced that Goodwin is progressing us at all.

I wasn't overly convinced last season either and felt that both Motherwell had a poor season and St J had an abysmal start.

The recruitment in the summer on the whole has been abysmal. Youth development isn't all its been talked up as for me Erhahon seems to be going backwards, who else is in the pipeline that is even close ?

There is no invention in the team, high ball tactics all the time, no moves being built from the back.. Forward line that hardly knows where the goal is.

2 points gained from RC, Dundee, Livi at home ? Where will we be come Xmas ??

We are an abysmal team to watch at home. The last 3 home matches have been shocking.

So not convinced at all atm, a lot of work needing done in January. Really hacked off at the moment with where we are was really hoping we could push on and start to not being a side that was looking down but looking up. Not happening just now.

Edited by lenziebud

15 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

For me it's players, not management. We had 27 shots on goal, just don't see how you can manage against not winning that type of game. 

Not challenging the stats but having watched the game I felt we missed few really good opportunities. Their goalie had a couple of good stops and a couple hit off him and defenders when they had no idea. The best chance probably fell to Main who was fouled but kept going and got a weak shot off.  Dennis and Brophy were getting half chances. We are not getting a break and confidence is low. Kyle now looks petrified to even attempt a shot.

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

I tend to agree with this.

I'm not convinced that Goodwin is progressing us at all.

I wasn't overly convinced last season either and felt that both Motherwell had a poor season and St J had an abysmal start.

The recruitment in the summer on the whole has been abysmal. Youth development isn't all its been talked up as for me Erhahon seems to be going backwards, who else is in the pipeline that is even close ?

There is no invention in the team, high ball tactics all the time, no moves being built from the back.. Forward line that hardly knows where the goal is.

2 points gained from RC, Dundee, Livi at home ? Where will we be come Xmas ??

We are an abysmal team to watch at home. The last 3 home matches have been shocking.

So not convinced at all atm, a lot of work needing done in January. Really hacked off at the moment with where we are was really hoping we could push on and start to not being a side that was looking down but looking up. Not happening just now.

And all of this achieved with probably one of our highest budgets ever. 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

And all of this achieved with probably one of our highest budgets ever. 

Agree, I just don't think its good enough and if it wasn't for the fact that he is regarded as a "club legend", I really wonder where we would be with the support.

Lets see where we are after the next 5 or so games but have a feeling we will be right in the mire fighting relegation again. 

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

To score Goals you need the option of getting behind a defence down the flanks and cutting the ball back.  Your strikers are then facing the goals and won't even have to take a touch at times, we don't have that option. Tanser Tate Fraser don't do it McAlister could but doesn't  We had players last season who did Durmas and Connolly and we haven't replaced them,  That's recruitment or by another name Management.  the team is screaming out for wingers to hit the byline..... 

What's happened to the young boy winger who was playing at the end of last season.... is that the boy Henderson ????