St Mirren v Ross County, Wed 1st Dec

faraway saint

Although Ross County had less possession than us they seemed to know what to do with the ball once they got it.

By that I mean they obviously had worked out on the training ground how to keep the ball and get into a threatening position. They arguably had better clear cut scoring chances than us.

We, on the other hand, seemed to operate with no idea about how to create opportunities for ourselves - there was no creative running off the ball and our basic ball control was fairly poor. Only Power and (and to a lesser extent) Dunne appeared to be able to win and keep possession without a panic pass to the opposition.

And as for the tactic of continually chipping aimless high balls into the 6 yard box for our smallish strikers this beggared belief.

Tried to get into the game but my season ticket wouldn’t work, asked steward to let me in through the gate but was redirected to the long queue for buying tickets. Despite my appeal to the steward, it fell on deaf ears. Had a look at length of the queue and gave up. Seems I missed a shocker of a game, so every cloud and all that. 

23 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Although Ross County had less possession than us they seemed to know what to do with the ball once they got it.

By that I mean they obviously had worked out on the training ground how to keep the ball and get into a threatening position. They arguably had better clear cut scoring chances than us.

We, on the other hand, seemed to operate with no idea about how to create opportunities for ourselves - there was no creative running off the ball and our basic ball control was fairly poor. Only Power and (and to a lesser extent) Dunne appeared to be able to win and keep possession without a panic pass to the opposition.

And as for the tactic of continually chipping aimless high balls into the 6 yard box for our smallish strikers this beggared belief.

Funny how Goodwin used Erwin every week when we were pushing for top 6 last season and now he's not quoted ?. Really odd management and decision making.

I'm not wanting Erwin to play as he is shocking and should never have been recruited. 2 year deal also, beyond belief.

What it highlights to be me is the utter farcical management ?

Main hasn't cut it, so if you recruited Erwin would you not give him a run.

The whole thing baffles me.

3 year deal for McAllister, dear me.

Yes Henderson what has happened ?

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

To score Goals you need the option of getting behind a defence down the flanks and cutting the ball back.  Your strikers are then facing the goals and won't even have to take a touch at times, we don't have that option. Tanser Tate Fraser don't do it McAlister could but doesn't  We had players last season who did Durmas and Connolly and we haven't replaced them,  That's recruitment or by another name Management.  the team is screaming out for wingers to hit the byline..... 

What's happened to the young boy winger who was playing at the end of last season.... is that the boy Henderson ???? 

As I said, when there is so many shots on target & you dominate similar level opponents (as we have done more often than not this season) I can’t fully be blaming the manager for this. There’s only so much he can do & right now the players are letting him down (and themselves) massively. 

Jim signed the players and he sets the style of play. Sadly after a decent spell mid sept until end of oct it’s all went v stale. Our home form is atrocious with 5 league wins in a season and a half. We play better football away from home than we do at home. Dundee , Livingston and County were horrendous to watch. Rest assured we will regret taking 2 points from those Three games. Top six all but a pipe dream when you can’t win at least one of them. 

Edited by norrie82

To be fair to Jim Goodwin he did look exasperated at the inability of the team to even do the simplist things towards the end of match last night. 

What really baffles me with Mc Allister especially last night was where he was playing, wide right. Always having to turn back on himself to get onto left foot, easy to defend against and will always slow play down. Unlike when we had connolly.

As for Jamie, is he fully fit? Or maybe not risking another injury before January, who knows.