New director

Hendo

Got an email from SMISA to say their nominated new Director is Alex White. 

I'm sure he is a good guy, even though he did use words in his personal statement like "perturbations" which I had to look up the meaning of.

However, sadly, I won't be endorsing Mr White's appointment, due to the selection process not being democratic. I hope others will take a similar stance.

37 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'm sure he is a good guy, even though he did use words in his personal statement like "perturbations" which I had to look up the meaning of.

However, sadly, I won't be endorsing Mr White's appointment, due to the selection process not being democratic. I hope others will take a similar stance.

How long before he is the Chair though ?

Is he on Twitter ? and has it been vetted or deleted yet ?

More worrying, is he on the Facebook supporters page ?

As it was a democratic vote for this process then by your stance you aren't supporting democracy.

I'm almost certain that he played CH, for a few seasons, for a team I ran in the 80's/90's.

Seemed a very decent guy.

Had the turning circle of a super tanker and didn't drink, are two things I remember about him.

Edited by FTOF

6 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Directors of Smisa MUST be elected by the members

This guy’s is not a SMiSA director candidate but club board representative 

Rules state SMiSA select then members approve decision 

Would have liked to know who the other candidates were though and all was on the level 

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

Taking the same stance, fans should be able to have a choice of a few, then whoever gets the majority should then go to a yes/no vote, far more democratic imo.

19 hours ago, alanb said:

This guy’s is not a SMiSA director candidate but club board representative 

Rules state SMiSA select then members approve decision 

Would have liked to know who the other candidates were though and all was on the level 

I know one of the other candidates that was interviwed.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:38 PM, mattman said:

Taking the same stance, fans should be able to have a choice of a few, then whoever gets the majority should then go to a yes/no vote, far more democratic imo.

SMiSA committee operates on a democratic voting system, I know this from experience. Only problem with that in my time on the committee was there was a majority clique who won every vote they wanted to win.

On 12/3/2021 at 2:01 PM, buddiecat said:

SMiSA committee operates on a democratic voting system, I know this from experience. Only problem with that in my time on the committee was there was a majority clique who won every vote they wanted to win.

That sounds like a golf club committee. Run by cliques who don’t like anyone advising them of varying opinions to their own. Voting their own on to positions.

Sounds the very reason why fan ownership will never succeed.

This handing the members one person to vote for in an election is straight out of the dictatorship handbook. Suppose its one way of ensuring that your members only get to see the people you want them to see. Thus keeping the clique cycle going.  

Edited by Brilliant Disguise

18 minutes ago, Brilliant Disguise said:

That sounds like a golf club committee. Run by cliques who don’t like anyone advising them of varying opinions to their own. Voting their own on to positions.

Sounds the very reason why fan ownership will never succeed.

This handing the members one person to vote for in an election is straight out of the dictatorship handbook. Suppose its one way of ensuring that your members only get to see the people you want them to see. Thus keeping the clique cycle going.  

I agree with you that fan ownership will never succeed but not for the reason you have suggested. I must defend your suggestion of clique committee's. All type of clubs have the "experts" who sit on their hands and always know better than the "clique" committe's who can have difficult decisions (especially currently) to make. The experts have the opportunity to join the committee, if elected, on an annual basis. 

5 minutes ago, hamlet said:

I agree with you that fan ownership will never succeed but not for the reason you have suggested. I must defend your suggestion of clique committee's. All type of clubs have the "experts" who sit on their hands and always know better than the "clique" committe's who can have difficult decisions (especially currently) to make. The experts have the opportunity to join the committee, if elected, on an annual basis. 

I agree that everyone is an expert other than the people on the committee. Thats human nature. You only have to look at the 65m people in Britain that are Covid experts.

The issue with cliques is that they close ranks to ensure that the “experts” don’t get a chance to be heard or voted on. I’m only looking from the outside and can see that the paying SMISA representatives only 2 occasions have only been able to vote for a single candidate. The “selection process” was undertaken by the SMISA committee before they got a chance to vote. That seems a very closed book way of being open to all.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:31 PM, FTOF said:

I'm almost certain that he played CH, for a few seasons, for a team I ran in the 80's/90's.

Seemed a very decent guy.

Had the turning circle of a super tanker and didn't drink, are two things I remember about him.

I played beside him

Into his kickboxing and sparred with Lex Easdon

He was St Mirren fan not many of us in the team

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Hagleybuddies said:

Can we get renaming the station Paisley St Mirren on the top of his agenda? The original excuse was it would take 2 or 3 years to rework the scheduling and ticketing etc. It’s been 10 years now, let’s hope Alex can deliver.

Can’t see it happening. Cost prohibitive if the club were to be asked to fund it.