Jump to content

St Mirren v Hibernian SPFL Premiership 11/12/21


shull
 Share

Recommended Posts


14 minutes ago, munoz said:

Brophy is good enough and Dennis has previously shown that he knows the way to goal.

That said, I'd love us to sign a striker with some real aerial presence in the box. 

Yes, to get on the end of all those tantalising floated crosses or to have his back to goal for the massive punts from our keeper !! 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Yes, to get on the end of all those tantalising floated crosses or to have his back to goal for the massive punts from our keeper !! 🙄

Tanser has a good delivery. We currently have no threat from set pieces. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, munoz said:

Brophy is good enough and Dennis has previously shown that he knows the way to goal.

That said, I'd love us to sign a striker with some real aerial presence in the box. 

I agree with the aerial presence in the box. I actually said to my mate today how a Kevin Kyle type player would be a plus for us with crosses that comes into the box. 

Brophy is a hit and miss for me and when was the last time Dennis even had a shot on target.  

I was nearly in tears the day we signed Main since i could remember how poor he was with the Dons. 

Irwin, sums up the poor signings of forwards in the last few years at the club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tommy said:

I agree with the aerial presence in the box. I actually said to my mate today how a Kevin Kyle type player would be a plus for us with crosses that comes into the box. 

Brophy is a hit and miss for me and when was the last time Dennis even had a shot on target.  

I was nearly in tears the day we signed Main since i could remember how poor he was with the Dons. 

Irwin, sums up the poor signings of forwards in the last few years at the club. 

Goal scorers are notoriously difficult to find / or produce but we as a club have really struggled since Tommo. 

I know our all round play this season is far from perfect, but you can't help but feel that if we had a natural forward on form, we would be fine. 

One of Goodwin's biggest flaws for me has been his recruitment in the forward areas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goal scorers are notoriously difficult to find / or produce but we as a club have really struggled since Tommo. 
I know our all round play this season is far from perfect, but you can't help but feel that if we had a natural forward on form, we would be fine. 
One of Goodwin's biggest flaws for me has been his recruitment in the forward areas. 
Has any striker signed since we released Mullen been an improvement?

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our “Strikers” should have a good look at Shaughnessys goal to see how to play the role.
He has the presence of thought to go to the ball, gets himself across and ahead of his marker and first time slots it away.

Far too often our forwards are waiting for the ball, not anticipating passes and very often taking too many touches giving defenders the time to close them down and deny chances .

Maybe get Shaughnessy taking the strikers for coaching week ? 🤔😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I agree with the aerial presence in the box. I actually said to my mate today how a Kevin Kyle type player would be a plus for us with crosses that comes into the box. 

Brophy is a hit and miss for me and when was the last time Dennis even had a shot on target.  

I was nearly in tears the day we signed Main since i could remember how poor he was with the Dons. 

Irwin, sums up the poor signings of forwards in the last few years at the club. 

Kevin Kyle is exactly the type of player we need. That and serious pace in wide areas. I was hoping we would get Scott Allan but with Ross away that wont happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My issues with today's game.
The system and formation don't work against teams who have width and pace. Boyle (diving scum) and Cadden are both quick players. We are weak on counter attacks. This is due a lot yesterday I felt the the hoofball and the ball spending a lot of time in the area.

Millar is a weird player. Thought he was coming in to help balance the teams with pace. I don't find him to be that fast. His first touch is rubbish and can't seem to cross a ball.

Tanser can deliver a decent cross and with Hoofball the ball up to him he can win the knock on, but found him shit out of tackles a couple times.

I don't see the point in the 6 in the middle as Hoofball cancels them out a lot. To bring them in the game you have to play it on the deck.

Hoofball pulls the "striker" out of position lots. With the ball making its way to Tanser, when he crossed it in, there was no one really threatening as they were out of position. If we had more defenders I'd play Joe up there now FFS.

Last season we seemed to change the formation depending on the opposition. This season it's the same no matter.... And doesn't work a lot when they figure it out.

Width is a huge issue and we are weak on counter attacks. With Hoofball I feel we would be better to play a 4-3-3 with Hoofball. You can bypass the middle as we seem to like to. Hoof up to the wings, you would have then overlap that could help out and middle could cover space that is left exposed? Means might keep a "striker" central?

People keep calling for Dennis getting more time, but not sure he is the answer. Is Erwin shit in the air? Could stay central to put a head on it? In the front 3 could you have likes of main doing what Jim wants him to do the now? I don't know how it can be fixed or not. Just not working.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair, if you look around the teams that are equally as shite as us, their strikers are hardly scoring for fun.

You'll get the odd burst here and there, but it's a notoriously difficult position to fill, for a club of our stature.

It's no coincidence that our best striker in the past 10 years or so, was a player who was a class above our level and only signed as he was a Saints fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I agree we're not scoring as much as I'd like, we're better in that area than another 4 teams, our defence is honking.

We're joint 2nd worst in conceding goals, yet the defence, overall, escapes any/much criticism.

Overall, both stats suggest we'll be fighting off the relegation spots for the rest of the season, disappointing after the good work that was achieved last season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brophy is good enough and Dennis has previously shown that he knows the way to goal.
That said, I'd love us to sign a striker with some real aerial presence in the box. 

I like Brophy. Shots on sight and offers more in his general play.
Dennis needs a run in the team to show what he can do.

I’d start Erwin before Main if we are to continue with one up top (and Brophy is out)

What’s up with McGrath ? I’d forgotten he was playing until he sent that free kick into the stand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Tommy said:

Maybe i am missing something, certainly not vodka  :lol:  but why is Shaughnessy, a right footed player being played on the r/s of a back 3, while a left footed player like Dunne is being played in the middle of a back 3 while Fraser a right footed player is on the left side of the back 3. Surely it should be Fraser, Shaughnessy, Dunne if we play a back 3  🤔

Totally agree, whilst I don’t think 3 at the back works for us we look imbalanced the way we set up yesterday - big Joe should be centre, Fraser right side and Dunne left side. Would at least give us a fighting chance with players in their favoured positions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Dare said:

Totally agree, whilst I don’t think 3 at the back works for us we look imbalanced the way we set up yesterday - big Joe should be centre, Fraser right side and Dunne left side. Would at least give us a fighting chance with players in their favoured positions

You could see yesterday that Fraser just doesn't want to use his left foot. Constantly tries to cut back onto his right foot, which leads to hesitancy when trying to clear his lines or passing to a team mate.

The back three isn't working, but as you say, surely playing players in positions that suit their kicking foot, could only improve the situation.

Captain Joe has been the only defender that's been decent this season.

Fraser is half the player he was last season. McCarthy wasn't as good either, but both have performed markedly better than Dunne, who, on showings so far, is another poor signing.

The January window is going to be crucial for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

My issues with today's game.
The system and formation don't work against teams who have width and pace. Boyle (diving scum) and Cadden are both quick players. We are weak on counter attacks. This is due a lot yesterday I felt the the hoofball and the ball spending a lot of time in the area.

Millar is a weird player. Thought he was coming in to help balance the teams with pace. I don't find him to be that fast. His first touch is rubbish and can't seem to cross a ball.

Tanser can deliver a decent cross and with Hoofball the ball up to him he can win the knock on, but found him shit out of tackles a couple times.

I don't see the point in the 6 in the middle as Hoofball cancels them out a lot. To bring them in the game you have to play it on the deck.

Hoofball pulls the "striker" out of position lots. With the ball making its way to Tanser, when he crossed it in, there was no one really threatening as they were out of position. If we had more defenders I'd play Joe up there now FFS.

Last season we seemed to change the formation depending on the opposition. This season it's the same no matter.... And doesn't work a lot when they figure it out.

Width is a huge issue and we are weak on counter attacks. With Hoofball I feel we would be better to play a 4-3-3 with Hoofball. You can bypass the middle as we seem to like to. Hoof up to the wings, you would have then overlap that could help out and middle could cover space that is left exposed? Means might keep a "striker" central?

People keep calling for Dennis getting more time, but not sure he is the answer. Is Erwin shit in the air? Could stay central to put a head on it? In the front 3 could you have likes of main doing what Jim wants him to do the now? I don't know how it can be fixed or not. Just not working.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk
 

You need a midfield with pace to play hoofball. Our midfield aren't mobile enough. We are by some distance the slowest team in the league that's Goodwin biggest problem. We can't press quick enough and when we receive the ball we are too slow to move it about. Our only chance are set plays no surprise that big Joe is up there in the goal charts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:

You need a midfield with pace to play hoofball. Our midfield aren't mobile enough. We are by some distance the slowest team in the league that's Goodwin biggest problem. We can't press quick enough and when we receive the ball we are too slow to move it about. Our only chance are set plays no surprise that big Joe is up there in the goal charts

We're absolutely honking at set plays, whether it's a free kick or a corner.

Our best chances are created from Tanser's deliveries out wide.

There's a Stats analysis in the Sunday mail today that looks at key passes/crosses, cross accuracy etc for full backs. 

Tanser is third ranked after Ralston and Tavernier, which speaks volumes IMO.

Power is ranked 5th best in midfield. I thought he was our best player yesterday, especially after his extremely soft booking.

Brophy is ranked 4th best striker after Watt, Ramirez and Furuhashi. It's based on %age conversion, goals and shots per 90 minutes etc.

 

Edited by FTOF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...