SMISA Update.........

Dear Cookie Monster,

Here is your December update from the SMISA Board, which includes the results of our two most recent votes and our statement on recent club boardroom issues.

Club director and entertainment vote update

In our November update we introduced Alex White, our preferred candidate for the vacancy to be one of the four SMISA representatives on the club board, and asked members to vote on whether to approve his appointment.

The results of that vote were as follows: YES: 410 NO:19. There were 7 abstentions

This means Alex will join the club board and the man he is replacing – David Riley – will step aside. We again thank David for his excellent service to SMISA and St Mirren, and he leaves with our best wishes for the future. We are also pleased to welcome Alex into the fold.

In the same email we also asked you to vote on whether to use £3,000 from the ‘club pot’ to help fund pre-match entertainment for young fans before home games, run by Paisley Panda Colin Bright and the club’s two volunteer supporter liaison officers John White and John Allison.

The results of that vote were as follows: YES: 401 NO: 28. There were 7 abstentions

We are sure members will join us in recognising Colin and the two Johns for the tireless work they do to help improve the matchday experience for their fellow fans, and hope our members with young family members will take advantage of the extra entertainment on offer.

Club boardoom update

Our members will no doubt be aware of the discussion surrounding historic tweets made by another of our representatives, club chair John Needham. A few people have asked our position on this issue and now the SFA proceedings against him have concluded regarding the one tweet which was issued whilst he was a Director of the Club, we will publicly share it.

We do not condone John’s tweets and they were an error of judgement on his part. It was right John apologise, which he has done, publicly and privately. However we have had the benefit of working with John over the past 18 months. We do not believe those tweets reflect the measured character we have got to know.

Since becoming club chair shortly after we became majority shareholders in the summer, John has been an effective and hands-on presence around the club. He had been working with staff to help improve club operations after some of the issues that arose over the summer, and had fronted two SMISA member meetings to take questions and report back.

We do not believe his tweet in May should outweigh the good work he has done and is doing. He remains an asset to SMISA and St Mirren and we believe it’s in the club’s best interest he continue. On that basis, he retains the full and unanimous support of the SMISA Board and our board reps.

At the same time, we are aware of recent online discussion around our relationship with Kibble. In any partnership, differences of opinion and approach can arise. The best place for any issues to be managed is in the boardroom and between the shareholders.

We would stress for us to play that out in public would not be in the best interests of St Mirren. On that basis we ask for understanding and realism from members over what SMISA can publicly say.

We will continue to regularly update members on SMISA business, and will push the club to make sure updates about club operations are communicated as openly and promptly as they can be.

What we can say is that the SMISA Board are a group of lifelong St Mirren fans who do what we do because we love the club, and who will act in its best interests at all times. The same is true of our four representatives on the club board (John, Gordon Scott, Alan Wardrop and now Alex White), and we have full faith in them to do that on your behalf.

Aberdeen away game

We were saddened to hear of the issues some of our fans experienced at Pittodrie on Saturday where problems with fan safety and stewarding were reported. We are assisting the club’s SLOs to gather any feedback to help the club investigate. If you were there and have an account to share, please email [email protected].

For anything else, we can as always be contacted via [email protected]

Regards,

The SMISA Board

Well, I think what is not said is more significant than what was - reading between the lines, it pretty much confirms the difficult relationship between Kibble and other board members - interesting there is no denial of Kibble threatening legal action. 

Time for Kibble to look for their next project to expand into I would think.

Complete avoidance and as you say, raises more questions than answers

The club behind the scenes is a shambles and that has been filtering through to fans for a long time

Kibble power struggle must end

That statement basically says ‘ Please be quiet and leave us alone’

Let’s not

Voices must be heard from the stands, it’s the only way to get through to the club

Support the team during the game

Make it clear before/ halftime and after the strength of feeling on this mess

Over to the fans, we are in main stand today be interesting to see hear front northbank if anything at all is made of it

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Dear Cookie Monster,

Here is your December update from the SMISA Board, which includes the results of our two most recent votes and our statement on recent club boardroom issues.

Club director and entertainment vote update

In our November update we introduced Alex White, our preferred candidate for the vacancy to be one of the four SMISA representatives on the club board, and asked members to vote on whether to approve his appointment.

The results of that vote were as follows: YES: 410 NO:19. There were 7 abstentions

This means Alex will join the club board and the man he is replacing – David Riley – will step aside. We again thank David for his excellent service to SMISA and St Mirren, and he leaves with our best wishes for the future. We are also pleased to welcome Alex into the fold.

In the same email we also asked you to vote on whether to use £3,000 from the ‘club pot’ to help fund pre-match entertainment for young fans before home games, run by Paisley Panda Colin Bright and the club’s two volunteer supporter liaison officers John White and John Allison.

The results of that vote were as follows: YES: 401 NO: 28. There were 7 abstentions

We are sure members will join us in recognising Colin and the two Johns for the tireless work they do to help improve the matchday experience for their fellow fans, and hope our members with young family members will take advantage of the extra entertainment on offer.

Club boardoom update

Our members will no doubt be aware of the discussion surrounding historic tweets made by another of our representatives, club chair John Needham. A few people have asked our position on this issue and now the SFA proceedings against him have concluded regarding the one tweet which was issued whilst he was a Director of the Club, we will publicly share it.

We do not condone John’s tweets and they were an error of judgement on his part. It was right John apologise, which he has done, publicly and privately. However we have had the benefit of working with John over the past 18 months. We do not believe those tweets reflect the measured character we have got to know.

Since becoming club chair shortly after we became majority shareholders in the summer, John has been an effective and hands-on presence around the club. He had been working with staff to help improve club operations after some of the issues that arose over the summer, and had fronted two SMISA member meetings to take questions and report back.

We do not believe his tweet in May should outweigh the good work he has done and is doing. He remains an asset to SMISA and St Mirren and we believe it’s in the club’s best interest he continue. On that basis, he retains the full and unanimous support of the SMISA Board and our board reps.

At the same time, we are aware of recent online discussion around our relationship with Kibble. In any partnership, differences of opinion and approach can arise. The best place for any issues to be managed is in the boardroom and between the shareholders.

We would stress for us to play that out in public would not be in the best interests of St Mirren. On that basis we ask for understanding and realism from members over what SMISA can publicly say.

We will continue to regularly update members on SMISA business, and will push the club to make sure updates about club operations are communicated as openly and promptly as they can be.

What we can say is that the SMISA Board are a group of lifelong St Mirren fans who do what we do because we love the club, and who will act in its best interests at all times. The same is true of our four representatives on the club board (John, Gordon Scott, Alan Wardrop and now Alex White), and we have full faith in them to do that on your behalf.

Aberdeen away game

We were saddened to hear of the issues some of our fans experienced at Pittodrie on Saturday where problems with fan safety and stewarding were reported. We are assisting the club’s SLOs to gather any feedback to help the club investigate. If you were there and have an account to share, please email [email protected].

For anything else, we can as always be contacted via [email protected]

Regards,

The SMISA Board

Pretty poor vote engagement as usual

Apathy or "Just don't give a fcuk"

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Well, I think what is not said is more significant than what was - reading between the lines, it pretty much confirms the difficult relationship between Kibble and other board members - interesting there is no denial of Kibble threatening legal action. 

Time for Kibble to look for their next project to expand into I would think.

Spot on, Hendo. 

Edited by doakie

11 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Vote should not pass if less than 50%

If that isn’t enough votes to pass it, it’s certainly not enough votes to fail it. 

Also, I’m not sure I get your point here, are you saying over 50% of members must vote or there has to be an overall majority of 50% of SMISA members (not just voting members) to pass it, in other words a big turnout required. 

Edited by bazil85

12 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Vote should not pass if less than 50%

I'd imagine nothing would happen if that was the case as, as much as I've seen, most "votes" don't get much response.

Quite why that is, well, impossible to say, maybe members should be asked why, although most wouldn't respond. :wink:

Edited by faraway saint

Well I for one am shocked… St Mirren fans massively overreact to a situation they have no clue about on social media. Who’d a thought it. 
[emoji23][emoji23]
Well I for one am shocked… Kibble fan massively underplays a situation he has no clue about on social media. Who’d a thought it. 
[emoji23][emoji23]

No comment on SMISA's defence of the man you are head hunting and refusing to forgive despite his apology and punishment?

What wasn't said in that statement spoke louder than what was.

It was, however, well measured and said a lot.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Just now, BuddieinEK said:

Well I for one am shocked… Kibble fan massively underplays a situation he has no clue about on social media. Who’d a thought it. 
emoji23.pngemoji23.png

No comment on SMISA's defence of the man you are head hunting and refusing to forgive despite his apology and punishment?

What wasn't said in that statement spoke louder than what was.

It was, however, well measured and said a lot.

What utter nonsense, I am absolutely on the SMISA (and it seems likely Kibble agree it should be kept in the boardroom) side here. 
‘At the same time, we are aware of recent online discussion around our relationship with Kibble. In any partnership, differences of opinion and approach can arise. The best place for any issues to be managed is in the boardroom and between the shareholders.’

Their view, difference of opinions happen & we should leave it to them to resolve in the boardroom. 

As for the chairman, I’m allowed to have the view he should have walked/ been dismissed/ been voted out. You shared very similar views last week so you haven’t got a leg to stand on regarding my personal opinion 😀

I am not a SMISA member so have no say on what they do. I can however relate to the circumstances the report outlines in terms of boards and joint ownership arrangements. Where I disagree and feel able to do so is that , despite his obvious talents, John Needham should resign. I want no part in a club that divides the community on sectarian or other lines. My view. Others may, will, take a different view.

34 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I am not a SMISA member so have no say on what they do. I can however relate to the circumstances the report outlines in terms of boards and joint ownership arrangements. Where I disagree and feel able to do so is that , despite his obvious talents, John Needham should resign. I want no part in a club that divides the community on sectarian or other lines. My view. Others may, will, take a different view.

He can step down from being chairman ,but remain on the board as director

45 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'd imagine nothing would happen if that was the case as, as much as I've seen, most "votes" don't get much response.

Quite why that is, well, impossible to say, maybe members should be asked why, although most wouldn't respond. :wink:

I tend to vote, but I know of others who are quite happy to pay their money, but have a lot more important things to worry about than what's happening with SMFC.

So you'll not be back to any game whilst he remains. [emoji1787]

6 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Regards,

The SMISA Board

That'll do.  Well played SMISA.

“We would stress for us to play that out in public would not be in the best interests of St Mirren. On that basis we ask for understanding and realism from members over what SMISA can publicly say.”

MEANS

Something serious is going on but keep giving us your money. Don’t expect us to tell you what is going on. In any case Fibble’s expensive lawyers would not be too happy if we told you what was going on.

head in sand.jpg

“We would stress for us to play that out in public would not be in the best interests of St Mirren. On that basis we ask for understanding and realism from members over what SMISA can publicly say.”

MEANS
Something serious is going on but keep giving us your money. Don’t expect us to tell you what is going on. In any case Fibble’s expensive lawyers would not be too happy if we told you what was going on.

1181253890_headinsand.thumb.jpg.235bfb8e8a12b9c254753784708659f4.jpg
That's not how I took it at all, though your picture of Baz is spot on.

There ARE issues.
SMISA are fighting our corner and prepared to lock horns.
That has to be done in private and I respect that.

Just a shame it has come to this!

Interestingly, I emailed SMISA earlier this week to enquire about their AGM and how to submit a motion to this - it was fairly straightforward, that all interested applicants to sit on the board of St Mirren should be put before a democratic vote of all members, provided they pass a "fit and proper person" test.

The response was "we'll discuss this proposal as a Board and get back to you" which I think misunderstands the principles of a democracy. When I pointed this out, they did send me the constitution, which does state any member can submit a motion 28 days before the AGM, so I shall.

However, the point of the story is it illustrates a danger of fan ownership - that an elite group in charge become consumed by their own power and forget to engage the membership. Of course, the constitution also allows those on the committee to be changed...

MEANS

1181253890_headinsand.thumb.jpg.235bfb8e8a12b9c254753784708659f4.jpg

Dear Animal, you want them to speak out in public yet you hide behind a keyboard. [emoji1787]