What are our transfer window requirements?

FTOF

I think it's fair to assume that there will be some coming and going this transfer window.

So, what positions do we need to address?

The obvious one is a striker that actually scores goals. However, every one of our competitors will be seeking that particular "holy grail" and it's difficult enough to find such a player in the summer window, never mind the January one.

We also need pace. We haven't replaced Dyllan Connolly. Although, he had his limitations, we desperately miss his pace. He won us several penalties as he outstripped defenders and he chipped in with a few assists and goals. He kept the opposition defenders occupied. IMO we don't have that type of player.

Defence wise, if Mccarthy gets fit and Dunne plays like he did on Wednesday, we should be O.K. for central defenders.

If we're persiting with a back three, then RWB needs to be sorted. Tanser, who I think has been our best signing,  has performed admirably, for the most part. Although, defensively he can be a tad "soft" at times.

I'm in two minds about Millar. I'm not sure that RWB is his best position. I think he'd be much better as an out and out midfielder.

If McGrath goes, which is likely, then we'll need someone else in there to challenge Kiltie and Ronan. Although, of late, McGrath has been pretty anonymous.

For the most part we adopted the "tried and tested" route with our signings in the summer. For me, only Tanser, Power and Brophy, the latter to a certain extent, have performed well.

Kiltie was unfortunate with injury, but has flattered to deceive. Main started O.K., but has been mostly pish and Dunne, although admittdly hampered by injury to a certain degree, has been a bit of a bomb scare, up until Wednesday.

Our only loan signing, Ronan, definitely has something about him, but needs to produce it more often.

We'll obviously have to move some of the "deadwood" like Erwin and McAllister on.

Do we go down the young English premiership/championship starlet route or do we go "tried and tested"? Or have we another Irish gem unearthed?

Looking at other teams, young English loan players Bailey and Hungbo seem to be performing well for their teams. I haven't noticed any other loan players making a significant impact.

Edited by FTOF

12 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

A striker is a must, I'm afraid the only one I rate is Brophy and he's injured.

Based on JG's signing record to date I wouldn't trust him to find us a goalscorer in January. 

Our most effective 'striker' has been Joe Shaughnessy. Stick him up front and bring in another centre back instead.

Merry Christmas everybody. 

Same as others I feel getting rid of the deadwood would be good. I think we need to look to shake things up in the striker department and I really feel we need pace and width.
I would like us to have variation in the squad when things are not working with the 3-5-2 or 3-6-1. I find the current set up does pulls the striker or strikers wide and out of position as we are quite narrow. Where you get a decent cross in from Tanser, there is no striker there to get on the end of it. I also find Millar very limited in skill and can't cross a ball. With the diagonal long balls we bypass the full midfield, again dragging our strikers out of position.

I would like us to maybe try 4-5-1 as this would allow us to get a bit more with. It would allow us to then maybe get a bit of overlap in the wide areas. This might let us go back to being solid like last season in defence. As last season it was scoring that was the issue.
With the 4-5-1 you are able to use the CDM to slip back when needed to make it 5 at the back. When attacking can go to more of a 4-3-3. This would allow width, keep the striker central and allow overlaps wide.
You could play Tanser as the winger, but not the left back as he is more attacking. The need would then be a left back or get Tait there.
Fraser was good I thought last season at right back, so the need would be someone right footed to play the right winger role.
If we sell McGrath you could then have a central midfield 3 of Power, Ronan and Kiltie maybe or you could go Reid, Power and Ronan as I feel Reid has been great in the CDM role when I have seen him and for some reason Ethan is not playing.
I don't think we will get rid of Main. He frustrates me as because he is so big, he doesn't get any free kick even when he is man handled. Shame Brophy is injured. Only way we get another striker in would be Erwin and Dennis going then. I think we need someone then who brings something different. Someone tall that can get on the end of a cross would be good.

All my opinion and all shite and rambling on, but feel we need options to change. That's what I could worked last season as we didn't always play the same formation.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

If Main is on a long contract then pay him off. Costly as it may be it will be costlier to hang on to a so called striker who offers very little to the team. 
We don’t necessarily need a proven goal scorer, more someone with hunger, potential and a chance to prove themselves. We seem to be handicapped by a number of players who cannot and will not improve no matter how hard they try.
We have signed players with a known poor scoring record hoping that we would be the place where it would suddenly happen for them. It hasn’t, so cut our losses. Maybe Brophy is in the same bracket.

53 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

So that's Goodwin, Davidson, Martindale, McPake and Mackay all for the push?

Courts too.

One win in ten and lost the last five games.

Just shows the fine margins. A couple of wins and it makes you look like Real Madrid compared to the other dross.

image.thumb.png.4e569193e12d569b2244d91523f8f441.png

Edited by FTOF

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

No he won't be.

He's making several times more money in Turkey than he even was with Hibs. 

There was a six figure transfer fee too. So they'd hardly be giving him away.

Not a position that's a priority either IMO, especially if we have limited funds.