Jump to content

First Saints Match and Heroes


Forrest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Had to ask my Dad for some of the information. I was six when he took me to my first ever St Mirren match.

It was a friendly against Polish club, Legia Warsaw in February 1976. We won 1-0 and I was hooked from then I am still going after all those years with my own children and grandchildren.

From that first season, I remember Fergie obviously. Also, Fitzpatrick, Reid, McConnell, McDowell, Kinnear, Hyslop and my all time favourite, the legend that is Frank McGarvey.

I just about remember the Spring Cup.

What is everybody else's first St Mirren memories ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Saints v Montrose. 1976/77

Taken by my Saints supporting mate as we were both brought up in ibrox and hated the OF sectarianism.

I was hooked on day 1 on the atmosphere, the style of play and the connection the fans had with the team.

I rarely missed a game, the highs and lows of which few OF fans would get close to understanding. 
Anglo Scottish cup win, Scanlon screamer v Celtic, Beckett screamer v Celtic. Bobby Torrance late winner at Ibrox. Losing to lower league teams in cup games too numerous to mention.

Great days, great memories

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saints v Stenny in 1971, my uncle took me as my dad and other relatives were 'supporters' of the dead club, loved it then and have loved the roller coaster ride ever since 1980s was my favourite period but of course that could be just rose tinted memories but hold the fondest memories for all sorts of reasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At my Primary school - Amochrie in Foxbar, I don’t remember football ever being discussed it was more something with family you did.

We went home and away with the Rosebud bus.

I’m told my first game was a 3-0 win v Stirling Albion in the old Division two

Don’t remember much about it, I remember much more about the following seasons however.vivid memories from 76/77/78 etc

Nae barcodes, nae replicas strip , a lift oor the turnstiles most weeks, happy days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was taken firstly to a few home games in 1968/69 Season which I have no memory. At that time I wanted to stay home and play football, not get dragged to fecking Love Street every other week.

It all changed in January 1969 when I was taken to Boghead to watch us in a Scottish Cup tie v The Sons.

We won the match with a last minute goal in front of a packed crowd with the thousands of Saints fans delirious.. 

That was me well and truly hooked from that magical day in Dumbarton.

Players, I cherish from those early years.....

Connaghan/ Thorburn, Murray, Connell, Fulton, McFadden, E.Murray, Adamson, Blair, Kane and a few others. Alex Wright was the Manager.

A lot of great and shite times over my 50 year sentence .

I doubt if I will return.

THE BEAUTIFUL GAME NO MORE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shull said:

I was taken firstly to a few home games in 1968/69 Season which I have no memory. At that time I wanted to stay home and play football, not get dragged to fecking Love Street every other week.

It all changed in January 1969 when I was taken to Boghead to watch us in a Scottish Cup tie v The Sons.

We won the match with a last minute goal in front of a packed crowd with the thousands of Saints fans delirious.. 

That was me well and truly hooked from that magical day in Dumbarton.

Players, I cherish from those early years.....

Connaghan/ Thorburn, Murray, Connell, Fulton, McFadden, E.Murray, Adamson, Blair, Kane and a few others. Alex Wright was the Manager.

A lot of great and shite times over my 50 year sentence .

I doubt if I will return.

THE BEAUTIFUL GAME NO MORE.

That's funny, @Sidmirren was the exact same, what's the chances. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Saints v Montrose. 1976/77

Taken by my Saints supporting mate as we were both brought up in ibrox and hated the OF sectarianism.

I was hooked on day 1 on the atmosphere, the style of play and the connection the fans had with the team.

I rarely missed a game, the highs and lows of which few OF fans would get close to understanding. 
Anglo Scottish cup win, Scanlon screamer v Celtic, Beckett screamer v Celtic. Bobby Torrance late winner at Ibrox. Losing to lower league teams in cup games too numerous to mention.

Great days, great memories

Great memories

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First Saints match , I wasn't supporting the Buds , vague memories of  a game v my Dad's works team , India of Inchinnan , in the Renfrewshire Cup. The programme history says game was at LS , but it was played at the Tyres Sports Ground. 6-2 for the Saints , and at least I can claim I saw Beck , Clunie , Gray , Wilson and (Red) Campbell in a Saints jersey , and Peter Holding in a Tyres jersey ! 😍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shull said:

I was taken firstly to a few home games in 1968/69 Season which I have no memory. At that time I wanted to stay home and play football, not get dragged to fecking Love Street every other week.

It all changed in January 1969 when I was taken to Boghead to watch us in a Scottish Cup tie v The Sons.

We won the match with a last minute goal in front of a packed crowd with the thousands of Saints fans delirious.. 

That was me well and truly hooked from that magical day in Dumbarton.

Players, I cherish from those early years.....

Connaghan/ Thorburn, Murray, Connell, Fulton, McFadden, E.Murray, Adamson, Blair, Kane and a few others. Alex Wright was the Manager.

A lot of great and shite times over my 50 year sentence .

I doubt if I will return.

THE BEAUTIFUL GAME NO MORE.

Since you seem to have been a good boy recently here is a photo of one of your favouritesIMG-20211228-WA0001.thumb.jpg.c534e6603ddcd2b0959c1fb7a8609e65.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, billyg said:

First Saints match , I wasn't supporting the Buds , vague memories of  a game v my Dad's works team , India of Inchinnan , in the Renfrewshire Cup. The programme history says game was at LS , but it was played at the Tyres Sports Ground. 6-2 for the Saints , and at least I can claim I saw Beck , Clunie , Gray , Wilson and (Red) Campbell in a Saints jersey , and Peter Holding in a Tyres jersey ! 😍

My Dad worked and played for India of Inchinnan in the 1950's. He used to have a team photo. Dunno where it is now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't remember my first game either.

I remember my uncle took me and my 2 older brothers to games the season we won the league {glory hunter} 67/68 

Was at the game when we beat Rangers 1-0 in front of 42'000 Hughie Gilshan scored the goal,  remember it being very foggy 

Another game that I'll always remember probably my first without a adult was in 1969 a wee gang of us about 6 or 7 [all got lifted over]  we got beat 3-0 by Celtic.  But i was soon smiling when i heard that my horse i picked earlier had just won the Grand National.

We had a close bookie who lived near us i would to take my dads horse bets round every Saturday, I stuck my pocket money on Highland Wedding was my first ever bet i was rich  :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Celtic at home at the start of the 1966 - 67 season , just remember walking up Ferguslie Park Avenue to the game , dont remember much else . Next game was Motherwell away in 1969 , that was Ian Listers debut , who very quickly became my favourite favourite player . We moved around loads during the early seventies,  so it was sometimes a tear or two between games .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first game was a reserve match with Campbell Money in goals, I think my mum and dad wanted to avoid big crowds. I was then meant to go to a first team game on a cold December morning but it was called off, I was gutted. When I did eventually go I think it was maybe Dundee we played and won either 2-0 or 2-1. 

First hero was Alan Logan after he came off the bench and scored a hat trick as we came back from 2-0 down to beat Thistle 3-2. I went with my mum (my dad didn't like football) and years later she still asked how Alan Logan was getting on, even though he'd have been retired by then 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...