Jump to content

Your Favourite St Mirren Player Ever


Forrest
 Share

Recommended Posts


Do we think the notion of getting crowds to return the way we did in 76/77 is an unrealistic one?

Yes the team that won the First Division that season was special and entertaining, but you could argue that the teams that won the Championship in 2000 and 2018 (not so much 2006) were also very entertaining teams. Whilst both those seasons probably saw meaningful upticks in our away support, I don’t think that applied so much to our home support.

Do you think maybe give or take a thousand either way, we are where we’re forever likely to be crowd wise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An almost impossible task. Always like Norrie cos he was the same age as me and was living the dream, but I'm going for one not many will pick.  Ian Scanlon, a fantastic winger who's career was cut short by injury
Scan was sublime.
He faced an impossible task of replacing Peter... errrr... Forget his surname!

For once in my lifetime, we came out best in a trade deal!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was captivated by Guni but probably don’t remember much of him. 

I’d probably say that Basher was my fave. I remember the feeling of shock when he was sold to Hibs as the news broke at a midweek League cup game (against Brechin?) at Love St. 

Equally, the excitement when he re-signed on loan from Hibs - that first game against Raith Rovers was the start of a magical season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to call. Love Fitzy. But for sheer entertainment its got to be McAvennie. Ian Scanlon scored the best Saints goal I've ever seen in my 50+ years watching St.Mirren. a 45 yard screamer v Celtic. 2.0 down at home. We came back and won 4. 2. Just a pity there was no TV cameras.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2021 at 9:21 AM, Old Weiserbud said:

Tommy Bryceland is the name that immediately came to mind for me as I always enjoyed seeing him play. He was described by Davie Lapsley as a "cheeky wee player" - spot on! Entertaining to watch and he scored some great goals as well. Also pleased to see Jim Clunie get a mention earlier.

I was young at the time and my Dad used to take me to see them in the late 50's and early 60's and lift me over the turnstiles  .......................... those were the days!

I agree Tommy Bryceland was really special and I remember Jim Clunie well, he brought great calmness to the back line and he commanded the box. He also turned into a well respected Manager and had a good record.

It's really difficult to call, I really liked "cheeky" Bryceland at his best, I also liked Clunie and Baker, as he just instinctively knew where the net was. For sheer entertainment Ally MacLeod and his 4 goals at Iprox stands out as the best singular performance I've seen from a Saint's player so I think he must come into the reckoning as also must Bobby McKean who was a real ball player, fast and an entertainer.

Of the more recent batches both Paul Lambert and John McGinn stand out and they have both shown that they could and can play at the highest standard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2021 at 6:11 PM, turrabuddie said:


Believe I was in the Caledonia St end with my Dad for that match. Amazing.
Was probably also my first strip.

What a shirt - proper stripes, front and back with red numbers.
SMiSA and BoD take note

It was really icy and the pitch was as hard as nails. It would never be played today, even on pitches without under-surface heating! However a great team performance and game, the crowd on the day (from both teams) really helped make the atmosphere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

I was young at the time and my Dad used to take me to see them in the late 50's and early 60's and lift me over the turnstiles  .......................... those were the days!

I agree Tommy Bryceland was really special and I remember Jim Clunie well, he brought great calmness to the back line and he commanded the box. He also turned into a well respected Manager and had a good record.

It's really difficult to call, I really liked "cheeky" Bryceland at his best, I also liked Clunie and Baker, as he just instinctively knew where the net was. For sheer entertainment Ally MacLeod and his 4 goals at Iprox stands out as the best singular performance I've seen from a Saint's player so I think he must come into the reckoning as also must Bobby McKean who was a real ball player, fast and an entertainer.

Of the more recent batches both Paul Lambert and John McGinn stand out and they have both shown that they could and can play at the highest standard.

Nice response - I got lifted over the turnstiles a good few times as well in those days! Gerry Baker was some finisher and I saw him score ten against "the Uni" in the cup which helped swell his goal stats spoken about in another recent topic. I left Scotland in 1962, so we're from the same era, but we were lucky to see some good players back then. One who really ought to get a mention of course is Tommy Gemmell - a one-club man and a really good player into the bargain. Good memories to have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Old Weiserbud said:

Nice response - I got lifted over the turnstiles a good few times as well in those days! Gerry Baker was some finisher and I saw him score ten against "the Uni" in the cup which helped swell his goal stats spoken about in another recent topic. I left Scotland in 1962, so we're from the same era, but we were lucky to see some good players back then. One who really ought to get a mention of course is Tommy Gemmell - a one-club man and a really good player into the bargain. Good memories to have.

Remember my Dad telling me he was a superstar and one of the best in the 59 team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Remember my Dad telling me he was a superstar and one of the best in the 59 team

He was, but I went for Tommy Bryceland because of the way he played the game. Tommy G seemed a quiet character and played the game in an understated way, but very effective in midfield. He also was capped for Scotland. Like I said, lucky to have actually seen these players. they're just names to most of our fans now and there is very little footage of them. 

 

49 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Remember my Dad telling me he was a superstar and one of the best in the 59 team

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jack Copland for me, always seemed to be in saints shop in piazza when I was young and my dad had to have a look in 'just incase there is something new in'. Great player and always had time for fans, good PR for club at that time.

In the 80s  can't decide out of the back 4 of Wilson, Cooper, Godfrey and Hamilton tho.

In saying that I don't think anyone can fault the endeavour of the cult hero that was Bobby Dawson.

Edited by Cumbriansaint72
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...