The Arbroath Football Club

shull

@faraway saint would i be right to assume that if Arbroath were to achieve premier league status, would they have to move to  full time status. If so I don't have any doubt their board would make it happen.

The main issue for me would be the deep down thinking of the players and whatever their respective jobs are.

The reason I've brought this up was a few years back Whitehaven RLFC (I know it's rugby but sort of relevant) played Castleford in the championship grand final to gain promotion to the Super league. Now Whitehaven had won the league but super league had changed promotion rules to the grand final winners got promoted not league winners. To gain entry you had to be a full-time club, Whitehaven weren't Castleford were. Prior to game Whitehaven had beaten Castleford but on the day same Whitehaven team played as tho they had never met. The pressure of having to sacrifice jobs, a lot of whom worked at sellafield on good money for the possibility of just 1 season full-time spoke volumes.

1 minute ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

@faraway saint would i be right to assume that if Arbroath were to achieve premier league status, would they have to move to  full time status. If so I don't have any doubt their board would make it happen.

The main issue for me would be the deep down thinking of the players and whatever their respective jobs are.

The reason I've brought this up was a few years back Whitehaven RLFC (I know it's rugby but sort of relevant) played Castleford in the championship grand final to gain promotion to the Super league. Now Whitehaven had won the league but super league had changed promotion rules to the grand final winners got promoted not league winners. To gain entry you had to be a full-time club, Whitehaven weren't Castleford were. Prior to game Whitehaven had beaten Castleford but on the day same Whitehaven team played as tho they had never met. The pressure of having to sacrifice jobs, a lot of whom worked at sellafield on good money for the possibility of just 1 season full-time spoke volumes.

My initial response that they wouldn't have to move to professional status, as I doubt it's a rule and they would need to think very carefully before putting the future of the club in jeopardy for what would likely to one season. 

The finances of the club, while this season have been maximised, would, probably, find it hard to move full time, across the board.

As for the players, aye difficult decisions would have to be made if an offer of turning professional was on offer.

One thing I'm sure of, the current people running the club will make the right decisions, but still a long way to go before these need to be made. 

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

My initial response that they wouldn't have to move to professional status, as I doubt it's a rule and they would need to think very carefully before putting the future of the club in jeopardy for what would likely to one season. 

The finances of the club, while this season have been maximised, would, probably, find it hard to move full time, across the board.

As for the players, aye difficult decisions would have to be made if an offer of turning professional was on offer.

One thing I'm sure of, the current people running the club will make the right decisions, but still a long way to go before these need to be made. 

I would rather hope that the SPL was run on merit with regards to promotion criteria concerning playing status instead of Super League basically protecting the status quo in regards to who they want in and indeed as now who they would like in being Catalan, Toulouse and if covid hadn't happened then a heavily bankrolled Toronto.

[mention=2846]faraway saint[/mention] would i be right to assume that if Arbroath were to achieve premier league status, would they have to move to full time status. If so I don't have any doubt their board would make it happen.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/20085357.dick-campbell-insists-arbroath-will-remain-part-time-gain-promotion-premiership/

Arbroath shaming the Inverness support, they only had approx 1,800 on Tuesday.
33_20e3.png30_20e3.png30_20e3.png37_20e3.png Home Tickets Sold Already! DO NOT MISS OUT! CAN WE MAKE THAT 4000? A short while ago we sold our 3000th ticket for the home end. This doesn't include Hospitality or the Inverness Support! Make sure you are there!
As much as they got in the play offs, were they ever in with a chance of winning the league? That in my opinion is the reason for no one but the usual supporters turning up even with a chance of promotion.

Unlike Arbroath who have been riding a crest of a wave all season.

As for shaming, remember size isn't everything, quality over quantity. [emoji6]

4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

As much as they got in the play offs, were they ever in with a chance of winning the league? That in my opinion is the reason for no one but the usual supporters turning up even with a chance of promotion.

As for shaming, remember size isn't everything, quality over quantity. emoji6.png

They were never really in with a shout but, contrary to what your opinion is, my opinion would be that any team that was 6 games from the top league would pull supporters out of the woodwork, say like a diddy team getting to a major cup final. 

You only need to look at the crowds we pulled to avoid relegation a few season ago. 

As for shaming, there is little comparison to the quality of the Arbroath support, combined with remarkable numbers, that makes them the real 12th man. :P

Plus, I'll almost be heard at Gayfield on Friday when I'm shouting at the telly. 

16 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

As for shaming, remember size isn't everything, quality over quantity. emoji6.png

TBH their avearge home support is pretty shite, only broke the 2,000 barrier in 7 games this season, with 2 of them being against Kilmarnock.

Averaging 1,800

Arbroath also average 1,800.

Inverness population................just over 47,000

Arbroath population.................just over 23,000

I agree entirely the steady, and continued, performances ON the park have seen the support grow.

I've already mentioned in this thread, get things right ON the park and you have a great chance to get it right OFF the park.

Not all teams manage this. 

On 5/10/2022 at 11:17 PM, Cumbriansaint72 said:

The rules have been changed several times in the past incarnations of the top league as it suited those involved. Stadium criteria being the big one. Ask any Falkirk fan. 

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

The rules have been changed several times in the past incarnations of the top league as it suited those involved. Stadium criteria being the big one. Ask any Falkirk fan. 

I can also see your point with stadium criteria but that in itself could be addressed in the same way that gretna did with temporary stands. 

Falkirk is a strange one, putting all the money into stadium but the team itself falling short of promotion which would start to generate income. This is also apparent down here with, let's say, Blackpool FC. Finished developing bloomfield road ground to Premier league standard only to be filled for 1 season and now in league 1.

One of the biggest ones was The Reynolds Arena, Darlington. I'm sure @StanleySaint will know about that one.

13 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

I can also see your point with stadium criteria but that in itself could be addressed in the same way that gretna did with temporary stands. 

Falkirk is a strange one, putting all the money into stadium but the team itself falling short of promotion which would start to generate income. This is also apparent down here with, let's say, Blackpool FC. Finished developing bloomfield road ground to Premier league standard only to be filled for 1 season and now in league 1.

One of the biggest ones was The Reynolds Arena, Darlington. I'm sure @StanleySaint will know about that one.

Falkirk don’t own their stadium,it belongs to the Cooncil

3 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Yes, those of us who went to the pre-season match at the arena years ago will have experienced the conspicuous consumption involved in the Reynolds Arena. He was on the news at the time showing the reporter around the toilets with gold taps (not the genersl use toilets I hasten to add). The man was a deluded fool who, as per the saying was soon parted from his cash. Think he bankrupted himself in the end and the arena played a big part in that and ending the club's existence too.

10 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Yes, those of us who went to the pre-season match at the arena years ago will have experienced the conspicuous consumption involved in the Reynolds Arena. He was on the news at the time showing the reporter around the toilets with gold taps (not the genersl use toilets I hasten to add). The man was a deluded fool who, as per the saying was soon parted from his cash. Think he bankrupted himself in the end and the arena played a big part in that and ending the club's existence too.

Only went once and that was for Darlington 0 Carlisle 5 with a certain Michael Bridges playing for Carlisle. Another freebie for coach driver have to add😉

Quite impressive 25k seater stadium pity the average home gate was 3k.

Good to see the new(ish) owners of it now allow the reformed Darlington team to play there.

4 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

CS… They were in their old ground but it didn’t meet the criteria for the top league , which I think was a minimum of 6,000 seats. As I recall, they were denied promotion. As others have pointed out their new stadium is owned by Falkirk Town Council. A very decent stadium but only three stands. 

Deserved recognition for McKenna, a player you can rely on week in, week out, and a nice guy into the bargain.

He's promised to give his boots to my 10 year old granddaughter when the season's finished, hope that's not for another couple of weeks. :happyclapper

Michael McKenna - SPFL cinch Scottish Championship Player of the Season
A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to our Michael McKenna who has been named the SPFL Cinch Scottish Championship Player of the Season.
Michael scored 15 Goals in the Championship which seen him end the 36 game season as top scorer in the Scottish Championship.
Michael made 32 starts, with a further 2 more from the bench which seen him score a goal in almost every 2 games.
Michael doesn't just bring goals to the team, but assists from crosses, corners, free kicks and an energy level which seems him run after every ball and pass for the entire time he is on the pitch.
Combining playing for Arbroath and running his own business, Michael also is a father and husband and this amazing award is true recognition for the season Michael has had!
Congratulations Mikey!