Alex Grieve

billyg

4 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

He is a reasonably good player, just not a striker and while I understand the job he is asked to do for us I dont really think he warrants that title.

Hopefully he will learn some of the skills of a striker sometime soon

Honestly? IMO. There in lies the problem.

Greive. Not a striker. Main. Not a striker. Olusanya. Not a striker. (Though, so far, only one letter wrong in the wrong place). Offord. Not trusted. Ayunga. Not, not a striker, yet to decide, and not fit. Brophy. Not there. Tony Watt????????????

There is no way we'll make top six if we can't find someone, anyone, who can put the ball in the pokey semi regularly.

Edited by stlucifer

35 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Honestly? IMO. There in lies the problem.

Greive. Not a striker. Main. Not a striker. Olusanya. Not a striker. (Though, so far, only one letter wrong in the wrong place). Offord. Not trusted. Ayunga. Not, not a striker, yet to decide, and not fit. Brophy. Not there. Tony Watt????????????

There is no way we'll make top six if we can't find someone, anyone, who can put the ball in the pokey semi regularly.

If we found a regular goal scorer we wouldn't have them for long. 

A forward that regularly scores goals aren't easy to find within our budget. 

15 minutes ago, munoz said:

If we found a regular goal scorer we wouldn't have them for long. 

A forward that regularly scores goals aren't easy to find within our budget. 

Van Veen at Motherwell is on 18 goals or something this season, if we had a player like that we'd be challenging Hearts for 3rd. We've had four double figures strikers in a top flight season in the last 20 years I think, so they are out there.

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Van Veen at Motherwell is on 18 goals or something this season, if we had a player like that we'd be challenging Hearts for 3rd. We've had four double figures strikers in a top flight season in the last 20 years I think, so they are out there.

And if Van Veen carries on in the same vain, he'll not be at Motherwell next season. 

Some clubs occasionally land lucky, and most don't. 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

And if Van Veen carries on in the same vain, he'll not be at Motherwell next season. 

By then he'll have done his job and a good manager/scout will be looking at the next Van Veen.

37 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

By then he'll have done his job and a good manager/scout will be looking at the next Van Veen.

Van Veen is outperforming his previous goal:game ratio in the Uk while at Motherwell. 

7600CE5D-1A42-4517-9CF2-F7FFCFCD903D.thumb.jpeg.5dd1a70d2a4ae4e0bc3969e3c05c4461.jpeg

It’s a complete gamble.

You would surely expect him to have scored more goals for Scunthorpe and Northampton than in the top league in Scotland.

We signed Brophy on huge wages (and perhaps a small compensation fee to buy out his remaining contract) and he never managed one goal in a Saints shirt in Paisley.

The amount of data available on players globally these days is available to clubs with budgets far greater than ours. 

Bargain basement hunting. That’s where we are. 

14 hours ago, munoz said:

31 year old free transfer from Scunthorpe, under contract to 2024. Doubt many bigger clubs will want to pay a fee to sign him. Hugely effective goal scorer at this level though and it's his goals that have taken a terrible Motherwell to safety.

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

What a signing he was, last double figures in a season striker we had.

And not one of his strikes from his foot, normally a body part getting in the way.

I liked big Obika but sometimes he looked as though he’d never played football prior to signing for us.

26 minutes ago, Hunterian said:

And not one of his strikes from his foot, normally a body part getting in the way.

I liked big Obika but sometimes he looked as though he’d never played football prior to signing for us.

Have to agree

He was ok but that was it Became a “legend” for the goal that relegated Hearts 😂

21 hours ago, Hunterian said:

In the COVID season he was on 12 goals when the season was curtailed eight games early - none of our current strikers are anywhere near that. He was just hitting form and fitness, we will never know but i think there's a decent chance he would have got more than 16 goals that season if it had continued. Which is the most any striker has got for us in a top flight season in a modern era - Thommo got it three seasons in a row. 

Injury issues affected us in the second season but he still got eight goals, think we made a mistake letting him go when you look at our current strikers numbers. Motherwell fans seem to like him!

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

In 2019-20 Obika scored 8 League goals. The following season he scored 5 League gals. Main, who is not a proven goalscorer has scored 6 League goals already this season. Obika is no better a striker than Main.

Oh he certainly is. The 8 league goals were after 30 games incidentally, we have played 29 now. The 12 goal total haul in his first season came without any in the league cup group stage too - he was signed after it finished. He was certainly capable of putting together a 21st century record goal haul for us in a top flight season that year, sadly COVID got in the way. Main has never and will never hit those kind of numbers.
One of my favourite Obika performance was when he ragdolled the Motherwell defence in that famous 4-4 draw, got 2 in the process and scored the winning penalty in the shoot out in the Scottish Cup, not sure why we should discount cup goals. Main has six goals full stop this season, and his failure in front of goal was one of the biggest reasons for our cup disasters. Zero goals against Airdrie and Arbroath FFS.
In Obikas stop start injury hit season in 19/20 he got more than Main has now, and Main plays pretty much every minute of every game.
Thompsons 16 goal figure also included cup goals, and who could forget those 😍

Edited by TopCat

43 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Oh he certainly is. The 8 league goals were after 30 games incidentally, we have played 29 now. The 12 goal total haul in his first season came without any in the league cup group stage too - he was signed after it finished. He was certainly capable of putting together a 21st century record goal haul for us in a top flight season that year, sadly COVID got in the way. Main has never and will never hit those kind of numbers.
One of my favourite Obika performance was when he ragdolled the Motherwell defence in that famous 4-4 draw, got 2 in the process and scored the winning penalty in the shoot out in the Scottish Cup, not sure why we should discount cup goals. Main has six goals full stop this season, and his failure in front of goal was one of the biggest reasons for our cup disasters. Zero goals against Airdrie and Arbroath FFS.
In Obikas stop start injury hit season in 19/20 he got more than Main has now, and Main plays pretty much every minute of every game.
Thompsons 16 goal figure also included cup goals, and who could forget those 😍

There are some similarities with Main, both have excellent presence in attack.

Both have scored incredible goals. I believe Obika scored an overhead against the fakes. Main had that turn and shoot for the second against Aberdeen, classics.  

Both put in full effort most games.

I prefer Main but I’m not dismissing Obika or his goals. Good luck to him, but not against us.

6 hours ago, antrin said:

On topic (apart from the Topic being mis-spelled), I really like Alex Greive’s attitude, his perseverance, industry and his goals, so far.

You’ve waited over a year to pick fault with a spelling mistake? 🤦‍♂️

You are aware that many phones unfortunately “create” autocorrect errors as posters rush to share news?

I don’t think @billyg will lose any sleep over your feedback.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:58 PM, antrin said:

BTW… why is Greive’s name still misspelt in the thread title?

On 2/21/2022 at 5:41 PM, Sonny said:

In the real thread title his name is spelt correctly :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 2/21/2022 at 11:25 PM, antrin said:

:P

No.

As you can see, if you cared to look, I had already noted it.

A moderator could tidy up, if Greive is to be respected.

You are aware it is an open forum?  I can post as much mince as you do.

Edited by antrin