New rules for loan players

Wasn't sure whether to put this in other football, but it will affect Saints

New rules being phased in to stop the bigger clubs snapping up as many kids as possible with hope of finding one gem and disgarding the rest. Juventus have 39 players out on loan!!!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-faces-fifa-loan-restriction-26000884

Doesn’t look as if it will make a blind bit of difference.  If the report is accurate , U-21s don’t count so there nothing to stop the big clubs snapping up 100 16 year olds and loaning out 99 🤷‍♂️  Once they hit 21.  👋👋 And you’re left with a whole crop of disillusioned young players who managed one game in a minor cup competition before being dumped.

The big clubs will  dazzle youngsters with their set up and will usually get the pick of the crop - all the more reason for us to continue to develop our youth set up and hopefully (🤞) become less reliant on loans . 

36 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Doesn’t look as if it will make a blind bit of difference.  If the report is accurate , U-21s don’t count so there nothing to stop the big clubs snapping up 100 16 year olds and loaning out 99 🤷‍♂️  Once they hit 21.  👋👋 And you’re left with a whole crop of disillusioned young players who managed one game in a minor cup competition before being dumped.

The big clubs will  dazzle youngsters with their set up and will usually get the pick of the crop - all the more reason for us to continue to develop our youth set up and hopefully (🤞) become less reliant on loans . 

Yeah, it is very disappointing. Drop in the ocean stuff compared to what I feel is needed. I would have 

- Max squad sizes at Senior and top youth levels (say from the U16s and up) of around 22-25

- Minimum numbers on homegrown players within all those squads (maybe between 8-10 players developed by the club for at least three years before the players 18th birthday making eligible for their nation in most cases)

- After a grace period, from those homegrown players, X numbers must feature in every league starting 11 (three or four club homegrown players). 

For me it will force clubs to double down and really focus on youth development, will stop situations where the two biggest clubs in Scotland have probably more Nigerians or Chinese players in their strongest 11s than Scottish. It will also have a positive impact on players that are maybe not cut out for a career in football getting false hope and ending up abandoned at 22-25 with no real education or strong prospects for a good career away from football. 

2 hours ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Wasn't sure whether to put this in other football, but it will affect Saints

New rules being phased in to stop the bigger clubs snapping up as many kids as possible with hope of finding one gem and disgarding the rest. Juventus have 39 players out on loan!!!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-faces-fifa-loan-restriction-26000884

Mixed views to be honest. Overall falls short of what might be needed 

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-academy-players-figures-appearances-numbers-1387302

97% of EPL academy graduates never make a first team appearance.

The majority of these players will have been part of these academies since they were under 10 years of age following strict dietary and training regimes. The mental health issues affecting these discarded kids must be terrible.

St Mirren used to get their academy kids enrolled at the auld Reid Kerr to learn skills necessary for life after football.

33 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-academy-players-figures-appearances-numbers-1387302

The majority of these players will have been part of these academies since they were under 10 years of age following strict dietary and training regimes. The mental health issues affecting these discarded kids must be terrible.

St Mirren used to get their academy kids enrolled at the auld Reid Kerr to learn skills necessary for life after football.

Shocking stats and the latest directive won’t do a thing to change it .

5 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I'm sure I've posted before about one of my colleagues who was at Newcastle and was on trial with us too but has all but given up playing at all due to the restrictions on what he could do as a teenager. 

10 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I'm sure I've posted before about one of my colleagues who was at Newcastle and was on trial with us too but has all but given up playing at all due to the restrictions on what he could do as a teenager. 

Some of the best players have never made it in the professional game as they can’t handle the discipline required to make it at the top level.

The point of that article is to highlight just how few young players at Elite clubs with all the best facilities actually make an appearance. 

These kids are just commodities to these businesses. It’s sad to see so many dreams shattered with no safety net in place. 

I wonder what the statistics are like compared to German and Dutch systems.