Have F1 lost the plot ?

Callum Gilhooley

Formula one bosses have decided they will stop flypasts from Military aircraft before races on the grounds of “Sustainability & Environmental “ issues and they don’t want the geo-political issues associated with some airforces and countries but not apparently the Red Arrows - they’re ok as they are “less obviously linked to the military “ 🙄😂. aye right !! 

Quite happy to continue taking races to countries with some of the most unethical human rights policies in the world, to countries with openly homophonic and misogynistic leaderships & countries with deplorable environmental records but no jets please ! 

They also have a long association with some sponsors who haven’t exactly got the best human rights track record .
I appreciate things have to change and F1 themselves are targeting sustainable fuel by 2025 but how do their teams move 1000s of tons of cars, eqpt, staff & drivers around the globe and are the drivers going to be forced to give up their private jets ?  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60082961

Formula one bosses have decided they will stop flypasts from Military aircraft before races on the grounds of “Sustainability & Environmental “ issues and they don’t want the geo-political issues associated with some airforces and countries but not apparently the Red Arrows - they’re ok as they are “less obviously linked to the military “ [emoji849][emoji23]. aye right !! 

Quite happy to continue taking races to countries with some of the most unethical human rights policies in the world, to countries with openly homophonic and misogynistic leaderships & countries with deplorable environmental records but no jets please ! 

They also have a long association with some sponsors who haven’t exactly got the best human rights track record .
I appreciate things have to change and F1 themselves are targeting sustainable fuel by 2025 but how do their teams move 1000s of tons of cars, eqpt, staff & drivers around the globe and are the drivers going to be forced to give up their private jets ?  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60082961

Yeah they could have worded it better in regards they would still have display aircraft that aren't used in service.

Can't disagree with the other points you make. I could but there’s a Peroni calling me. All about priorities. [emoji16]

Bound to be but I'd be avoiding that at all costs! F1 is in a very complex transition and it is going to be difficult for them to get it right, the important thing is that they continue to move in the right direction and of course avoid thecall electric option as long as humanly possible!!

• 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, Rascal said:

F1 has a huge following. Genuine question - why not electric cars?

Because it isn't the F1 way, formula E has only just got to the stage that they don't have to change cars half way through, it just isn't very interesting. F1 are doing what the motor industry in general should be doing, looking in to sustainable synthetic fuels which may well feed into the real world rather than the lazy rush to electric.

50 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Genuine question - Why ? 

Which are the fastest? I get what SS said earlier about electric cars not having batteries which would hold up over the distance. But surely it is about speed and skill?

F1 is currently faster than formula e and the driving is physically more demanding, at the risk of oversimplyfying it is like driving a car versus a go kart. Maybe the limiting factors of track and distances differences in formula e make it less attractive but they are two totally different animals and won't be merged.

16 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

F1 is currently faster than formula e and the driving is physically more demanding, at the risk of oversimplyfying it is like driving a car versus a go kart. Maybe the limiting factors of track and distances differences in formula e make it less attractive but they are two totally different animals and won't be merged.

I’ve never seen either live. I have seen where they race in Monaco, Macau and Istanbul and find it incredible that they do. Have visited Vass Island in Abu Dhabi where they custom built the track. Maybe I need to be at and experience the real thing to appreciate it properly. I did see some racing at Ingleston many years ago and visited Brooklands in Surrey ( I think). I think Crystal Palace also had a circuit in the past and I competed in the Athletics arena when it opened - a long time ago now.

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Which are the fastest? I get what SS said earlier about electric cars not having batteries which would hold up over the distance. But surely it is about speed and skill?

There is the other thing , the f**king annoying noise of Electric racing cars. 🤨

F 1 is the pinnacle of Motorsport and will continue to be so for a while yet. Yes, Formula E is improving and  Attracting more sponsors, teams & better drivers but it’s far from the finished article. 

I’ve done Goodwood , Silverstone and many other motorsport venues over the years , nothing beats the roar of a big kick ass engine - apart from the sheer power of A fighter jet display 😎, which I will be seeing plenty of in two weeks time at RIAT ( Royal international air tattoo ) 😎 Cant wait 👍 Awesome 👏 

Formula e can only be used on shorter lap amounts due to charging for now. I cannot see a formula e race lasting 70 laps of an F1 circuit for example, tech won't allow it.

F1 however has been  I'd say watered down over the years with all card starting with full tanks instead of some team doing 'splash and dash stops to try and make them more competitive.

Like @Callum Gilhooley said it is the pinnacle of motorsports and should be treated the same.

Risks or not.

Same as TT racing in IOM, they know the risks.

17 hours ago, ianmac said:

Why not change batteries during the race the way they change tyres? Changing tyres is about the only bit that currently makes it interesting,

Major and spectacular crash at the first turn has temporarily stopped racing.

It isn't until you see an incident like that that the stance taken by Stewart and others in the 70s, which made them pretty unpopular at the time has made the sport so much safer. Ecclestone and others were very against the expense in making safety improvements over the years.

10 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

It isn't until you see an incident like that that the stance taken by Stewart and others in the 70s, which made them pretty unpopular at the time has made the sport so much safer. Ecclestone and others were very against the expense in making safety improvements over the years.

Correct. Absolutely astonishing that the driver escaped serious injury or worse. 

• 1 year later...