Dundee v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 9/3/22

shull

10 minutes ago, Wardog said:

Im struggling to see how this is a huge game. Yes not far away points wise from top 6 but miles away from a top 6 side. To finish 8-9 would be an achievement but talk of top 6 etc needs to stop.

Well , our captain called it “ massive”  if he thinks so, I’d take his word for it.

23 minutes ago, Wardog said:

Im struggling to see how this is a huge game. Yes not far away points wise from top 6 but miles away from a top 6 side. To finish 8-9 would be an achievement but talk of top 6 etc needs to stop.

I see where you are coming from but can’t fully agree. The arithmetic says that it is still possible and winning this opens that door to the top a little wider.

Lee Wilkie certainly thinks it is massive for Dundee. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/3081962/lee-wilkie-st-mirren-dundee-must-win/

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, Wardog said:

For me its an important game to put a further distance from the bottom 2. Lose it and the gap between us and Dundee is 7 points. We lost a 10 point gap after we lost to Dundee at home ! 

Top six I agree total delusion.

52 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

For me its an important game to put a further distance from the bottom 2. Lose it and the gap between us and Dundee is 7 points. We lost a 10 point gap after we lost to Dundee at home ! 

Top six I agree total delusion.

Opinions are great. The more the merrier. I’ve not given up hope yet.

13 minutes ago, guinness said:

Lose this and we are in the middle of a relegation  battle. Then Dundee and St Johnstone would be in better run of form than us. This is a massive game for us

That would take an incredible run of results for us and the two teams currently at the bottom. 

I would suggest we could be 10th, at worst. 

21 minutes ago, guinness said:

Lose this and we are in the middle of a relegation  battle. Then Dundee and St Johnstone would be in better run of form than us. This is a massive game for us

A massive game is a cup final or a relegation play-off etc. This is semi important to get points to keep us safe, nothing more.

3 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Top 6 is important for me as it guarantees we are staying in the league gives us what our budget will be for the coming season and allows the manager to get plans in early for his dealings in the market in the summer. 

100%, would love us to be top 6 for all the reasons you list and others but just don't think we are good enough. Would love to be wrong though but just can't see it happening.

22 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

100%, would love us to be top 6 for all the reasons you list and others but just don't think we are good enough. Would love to be wrong though but just can't see it happening.

I live in hope that you will be pleasantly surprised.

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

I agree.  Realistically unless we beat Dundee we are relying on us picking up 9 points (which is still an optimistic  scenario hoping results go our way) against Dundee Utd at home Motherwell away and Rangers at home. 

Dundee Utd play Hibs away and Dundee away outside us.

Motherwell have St Johnston and Livi outside us .

Ross County have Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen.

A win pulls us level on points with a honking goal difference a loss 3 points off pace 

So in reality for top 6 we need to take 9 points from the next 4 games with a result or two going our way.

I would love to see us approach the next 3 league games like cup finals and give top six ago, but I just don't see the bite and leadership on the park to inspire this. 

12 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

I agree.  Realistically unless we beat Dundee we are relying on us picking up 9 points (which is still an optimistic  scenario hoping results go our way) against Dundee Utd at home Motherwell away and Rangers at home. 

Dundee Utd play Hibs away and Dundee away outside us.

Motherwell have St Johnston and Livi outside us .

Ross County have Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen.

A win pulls us level on points with a honking goal difference a loss 3 points off pace 

So in reality for top 6 we need to take 9 points from the next 4 games with a result or two going our way.

I would love to see us approach the next 3 league games like cup finals and give top six ago, but I just don't see the bite and leadership on the park to inspire this. 

Well explained.

As such we have next to no chance of getting into the top six, even IF we beat Dundee, there's next to no chance we can pick up 6 points from the remaining 3 games. 

I don't want to sound like elvis but, as you say, we have shown little/nothing up front to suggest we can win 3 games from 4. 

The cup game, well, it's a one off game, we'll be underdogs, no doubt, but that, for me, is the "cup final" game to keep our season going.

Remember last season, two semi finals and a 7th place, any less, and we're already down on the league cup place, is a drop in any progress we'd hoped to make.

We certainly haven't, at the moment, built on the financial rewards that last season brought to the club. 

Edited by faraway saint

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Well explained.

As such we have next to no chance of getting into the top six, even IF we beat Dundee, there's next to no chance we can pick up 6 points from the remaining 3 games. 

I don't want to sound like elvis but, as you say, we have shown little/nothing up front to suggest we can win 3 games from 4. 

The cup game, well, it's a one off game, we'll be underdogs, no doubt, but that, for me, is the "cup final" game to keep our season going.

Remember last season, two semi finals and a 7th place, any less, and we're already down on the league cup place, is a drop in any progress we'd hoped to make.

We certainly haven't, at the moment, built on the financial rewards that last season brought to the club. 

The reality is that we did not replace Obika, Durmis, Connolly with players that offered what they could and a reliance on Jamie McGrath who in my opinion looked like he had checked out long before he left. 

This season goes down for me as a big missed opportunity to build and I fear JG was wise in spotting that top 6 was a long shot and time to move when his stock was high and key players aren't going to renew. 

We expect to lose Alnwick, McCarthy, Ronan in May and not being top 6 and losing the optimism of last year will make it harder to replace.

Unfortunately the recruits this summer just aren't clicking week in week out or finding consistency and if we are honest being a season ticket holder has been 70% hard work watching average football .

We will still renew and be back, however reality check to the board is that we need investment to get in top 6.

One area that I do think we have real optimism is in the youth set up so lets give a chance rather than Lian out kids.

43 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Well explained.

While unlikely previous results suggest it's possible.

18 January 202221 Dundee United 1–2 St Mirren  
25 January 202222 St Mirren 1–0 Aberdeen  
1 February 202223 St Mirren 1–1 Motherwell  
5 February 202224 Hibernian 0–1 St Mirren  
9 February 202225 St Mirren 2–1 St Johnstone  
19 February 202226 Livingston 1–1 St Mirren

21 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

The reality is that we did not replace Obika, Durmis, Connolly with players that offered what they could and a reliance on Jamie McGrath who in my opinion looked like he had checked out long before he left. 

This season goes down for me as a big missed opportunity to build and I fear JG was wise in spotting that top 6 was a long shot and time to move when his stock was high and key players aren't going to renew. 

We expect to lose Alnwick, McCarthy, Ronan in May and not being top 6 and losing the optimism of last year will make it harder to replace.

Unfortunately the recruits this summer just aren't clicking week in week out or finding consistency and if we are honest being a season ticket holder has been 70% hard work watching average football .

We will still renew and be back, however reality check to the board is that we need investment to get in top 6.

One area that I do think we have real optimism is in the youth set up so lets give a chance rather than Lian out kids.

On the investment issue, didn't we spend, comparatively speaking, above average this season?

I'm not convinced we have not spent, more that we have purchased players who have not really worked out. 

I'm aware money buys, generally, quality but we, seem to, have squandered last seasons financial boost from both cups and league position.

Edited by faraway saint

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

On the investment issue, didn't we spend, comparatively speaking, above average this season?

I'm not convinced we have not spent, more thsat we have purchased players who have not really worked out. 

I'm aware money buys, generally, quality but we, seem to, have squandered last seasons financial boost from both cups and league position.

Yes I think your right which is why it's such a missed opportunity. 

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

While unlikely previous results suggest it's possible.

18 January 202221 Dundee United 1–2 St Mirren  
25 January 202222 St Mirren 1–0 Aberdeen  
1 February 202223 St Mirren 1–1 Motherwell  
5 February 202224 Hibernian 0–1 St Mirren  
9 February 202225 St Mirren 2–1 St Johnstone  
19 February 202226 Livingston 1–1 St Mirren

Anything's possible.

Cherry picking games is fruitless as its more to do with recent form, which i could quote but, as I said, pointless.

Right now we look rudderless, scoring a goal looks difficult enough, scoring two, as I indicated before Saturday's game, even less likely. 

Just now, faraway saint said:

Anything's possible.

Cherry picking games is fruitless as its more to do with recent form, which i could quote but, as I said, pointless.

Right now we look rudderless, scoring a goal looks difficult enough, scoring two, as I indicated before Saturday's game, even less likely. 

How is looking at a succession of games "cherry picking"? Cherry picking would be taking random games and trying to make a case. 

Those results were after an eleven game run without a win. SR is still measuring up the squad. It MAY click. Don't get me wrong. The odds are against it but so were the odds of winning 4 in 6 without losing any at the start of the year. It is the same group of players.

Just now, stlucifer said:

How is looking at a succession of games "cherry picking"? Cherry picking would be taking random games and trying to make a case. 

Those results were after an eleven game run without a win. SR is still measuring up the squad. It MAY click. Don't get me wrong. The odds are against it but so were the odds of winning 4 in 6 without losing any at the start of the year. It is the same group of players.

Cherry picking is omitting the latest results. :wacko:

As I saId, RECENT form is more relevant.

Aye, the same players but, you seem to have forgotten, a different manager. 

It's early days, IMO we're safe, barring a disastrous run of results for us and two poor teams, all of a sudden, winning, quite a few games.

11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Anything's possible.

It’s the hope that kills you mate.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Cherry picking is omitting the latest results. :wacko:

As I saId, RECENT form is more relevant.

Aye, the same players but, you seem to have forgotten, a different manager. 

It's early days, IMO we're safe, barring a disastrous run of results for us and two poor teams, all of a sudden, winning, quite a few games.

If anyone is guilty of cherry picking it isn't me. We had an horrendous run and came out the other side to get those consecutive results. You are ignoring that fact. Instead honing in on 3 results. 2 of which were against the team at the top and the team in third.  I am suggesting it IS possible for the same thing to happen.

4 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

It’s the hope that kills you mate.

Aye, the expectation, quite rightly, was high after last season.

Splashed the cash, been a real up and down season and we find ourselves with the support being split between "top six" and getting drageed into a relegation battle. 

I'm still hurting from us costing me a 180/1 bet on Saturday. :lol: