Dundee v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 9/3/22

shull

Bit of a tough game to analyse. Certainly frustrating, scrappy for long periods & crossing/ passing wasn’t the best. 

But on the flip side, Dundee didn’t really test us at the back, I don’t think I remember a save Lyness had to make. And on another day we would have put away three or four of those big chances. A couple were absolute sitters, Jones one especially. If that had happened, no one would really have been questioning the performance. 

End of the day it’s the result that counts & hopefully that kicks us on to continue the Scottish cup run & secure top 6. Three very winnable games coming up before Sevco  👍

8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Bit of a tough game to analyse. Certainly frustrating, scrappy for long periods & crossing/ passing wasn’t the best. 

But on the flip side, Dundee didn’t really test us at the back, I don’t think I remember a save Lyness had to make. And on another day we would have put away three or four of those big chances. A couple were absolute sitters, Jones one especially. If that had happened, no one would really have been questioning the performance. 

End of the day it’s the result that counts & hopefully that kicks us on to continue the Scottish cup run & secure top 6. Three very winnable games coming up before Sevco  👍

Well. It was a great cross, a great header and a great time to score and a great result. What more could one want? An added bonus was that it was scored right in front of where we were sitting ! 

Edited by Rascal

59 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

Biggest takeaways from tonight for me were Lyness needs to learn to kick the ball into the park rather than out most of the time and Jones needs to try and put a corner into the mix rather than past the back post

Why don't we put a player just past the back post. 😊

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Hmmmm. Dundee didn’t hurt us because they are even worse at getting on the end of things than us. 
There were a fair few occasions where they fizzed the ball across our goal with no end product. Doesn’t mean we necessarily defended well. 

29 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Nothing wrong with big Peter

Indeed.

Funnily enough, it was at Dens Park on another night time match where Peter had an outstanding game, and he only played the second half.

Was played on the 19th April 1977.

Edited by shull

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hmmm. I’m not going to change my view because he scored. I thought Ronan was pretty pish tonight.

If I had to pick our best player tonight I’d have to go for Brophy. 
Jones and Tanser were dreadful. Tait Gogic and Power were on the pish side. The rest were either ok or unremarkable. 

100% jersey,  probably Ronan's 2nd worse game for me, but he has the X factor and can produce a bit of magic at any moment, I've no idea how he managed to get so far forward as he hardly got in their box all game.. poor game or not he's been a class act for us 

3 hours ago, Rascal said:

Well. It was a great cross, a great header and a great time to score and a great result. What more could one want? An added bonus was that it was scored right in front of where we were sitting ! 

Brought a tear to my eye Ricky 😘  Never thought i'd see the day you and faraway hugging and kissing at a Saints goal 

Didn't last long mind saw you's at the final whistle having a wee tiff  :hammer 

Great to see Elvis there too at the final whistle backing the team to the hilt  :boo2:

Edited by portmahomack saint

5 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Brought a tear to my eye Ricky 😘  Never thought i'd see the day you and faraway hugging and kissing at a Saints goal 

Didn't last long mind saw you's at the final whistle having a wee tiff  :hammer 

Great to see Elvis there too at the final whistle backing the team to the hilt  :boo2:

Post of the day Mr P

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

The goal just get's better and better, the cross is pure quality and not the easiest of headers as he had to stoop to get onto it.

PS Fast forward to about 4 mins, the rest is irrelevant. :thumbs2

Great to watch but you had to be there to fully appreciate it. Wonderful moment at the end of a hard fought and tense affair. The release of tension was palpable.

Edited by Rascal

Conor’s last gasp winner was a massive boost for us and it was great to see the players celebrating with the fans - there is no doubt that this team are fighting for each other, we have good players and if we can get the balance from middle to front right then no reason why this team can’t get top six. Hearts in the cup will be a big ask but we will certainly make a fist of it.
We are normally looking over our shoulder at this point in the season and trying to figure out how many points we need for safety so fingers crossed we can push on and have a great end to the season 👍

11 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hmmmm. Dundee didn’t hurt us because they are even worse at getting on the end of things than us. 
There were a fair few occasions where they fizzed the ball across our goal with no end product. Doesn’t mean we necessarily defended well. 

I certainly agree we have defended better. My point on the analysis is more, if we score two or three of those chances which were pretty much sitters, there wouldn't be anyone concerned about the performance. It's a funny old game where the performance is (rightfully) challenged because the win margin was so small. 

11 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I certainly agree we have defended better. My point on the analysis is more, if we score two or three of those chances which were pretty much sitters, there wouldn't be anyone concerned about the performance. It's a funny old game where the performance is (rightfully) challenged because the win margin was so small. 

Agree there was definitely 2 that fitted into the absolute sitter category and probably another two that were in the good chance category.

Dundee didn’t have any sitters as such but they probably had about 4 or 5 very good chances/openings.