Highway Code Changes

faraway saint

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Just been out on my bike, all safetied up, ran over a pedestrian, feck her, serves her right for stepping into the road. 

Right, back home, exhausted, after getting assaulted by the five fingers of the forum all day I need a wee rest. 

Getting bullied isn't easy. 😆

You have never been bullied on here. You're the forum bully, abuser and troll, absolutely no doubt about it. 

It has taken a while for forum members to answer your shite back and quite right.

Try leaving St Mirren fans alone and I bet they don't bite back at you.

• 5 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Had my first near miss tonight.

I can't see a bit that says you can deliberately walk out into the road if a car is beyond the give way lines going into a junction?

Fortunately I braked and JUST missed this clown, who stuck his head into my open window shouting, with an English accent........."Don't you know the highway code"

As I was feeling intimidated i accelerated away, accidently taking his face with me, well not quite, but you get the drift.

A serious accident will happen, if it already hasn't when people deliberately take the piss.

Man v car, only one winner.  

The updated code clarifies that:

• when people are crossing or waiting to cross at a junction, other traffic should give way
  • if people have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, the people crossing have priority and the traffic should give way
Edited by faraway saint

Rule 170 states that motorists should give way to pedestrians “if they have started to cross.” This states Rule 204 is because “the law recognizes that driving a car or motorbike always puts other people at risk and pedestrians are the most vulnerable of all road users.29 Jul 2021

Trying to be helpful… though I shouldn’t need to point this out….

A driver is in control (or should be) of a lethal lump of metal.  Drivers really have NO “right” to occupy a bit of road on which a pedestrian is walking.

I understand your frustration (and assumed relief at not killing someone?), but why think someone is taking the “piss”? (Nice English word, btw)

He could be vision impaired, or perhaps deaf… wearing earpieces, otherwise distracted?  As driver of a vehicle you have responsibilities more onerous than an unweaponised pedestrian.

You did well.  It was your job to not kill or maim a pedestrian and you succeeded.  Well done, you.

oh… and it might have been me.  I had a few pints last night.  My pedestrian skills would have been impaired.

8 hours ago, antrin said:

Rule 170 states that motorists should give way to pedestrians “if they have started to cross.” This states Rule 204 is because “the law recognizes that driving a car or motorbike always puts other people at risk and pedestrians are the most vulnerable of all road users.29 Jul 2021

Trying to be helpful… though I shouldn’t need to point this out….

A driver is in control (or should be) of a lethal lump of metal.  Drivers really have NO “right” to occupy a bit of road on which a pedestrian is walking.

I understand your frustration (and assumed relief at not killing someone?), but why think someone is taking the “piss”? (Nice English word, btw)

He could be vision impaired, or perhaps deaf… wearing earpieces, otherwise distracted?  As driver of a vehicle you have responsibilities more onerous than an unweaponised pedestrian.

You did well.  It was your job to not kill or maim a pedestrian and you succeeded.  Well done, you.

oh… and it might have been me.  I had a few pints last night.  My pedestrian skills would have been impaired.

The pedestrian, if you'd read my post, WASN'T walking on ANY part of the road, or had started to cross. 

The guy deliberately stepped out when the front of my car was, at least, in line with him. 

He wasn't vision impaired and he wasn't deaf, quite why you'd bring that up IN THIS INSTANCE is just a smokescreen.

Now the crux of the matter is that a vehicle can do serious damage to a human so to give human beings "right of way" in any situation is, IMO, asking for trouble, especially when you get an obnoxious tosser that I encountered last night. 

I'm well aware of MY responsibility when driving a car, this applies to pedestrians, and bikests as well, a fact often forgotten. 

There are plenty of zebra crossings and pedestrian operated traffic lights to allow people to cross safely.

I had a near miss in Elderslie the other week.  This mad cyclist leaped from the pavement onto the road directly in front of my car on the approach to the left filter lane at the steak house. This occurred after the cycle lane on the road ends.

He never looked. He took exception to me blowing my horn. He was a local youth I guess. Not one of the Lycra wearing eejits that often ride three or four abreast. He kept telling me I was number one driver though. 🖕

My reactions through years of playing pinball and high speed PlayStation driving games whilst drunk or stoned obviously played a significant factor in him being still alive to tell the tale.

Cyclists 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 especially those nutters that cycle for their daily dose of radiation at sellafield. Stupid lycia and more so those silly cycle sock/boot things🤬🤬🤬

Anyway rant over and back to topic being none or very little aware of others round them. Imo if they want respect from other road users then respect other road users. 

Do this mad thing like use cycle paths.

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The pedestrian, if you'd read my post, WASN'T walking on ANY part of the road, or had started to cross. 

The guy deliberately stepped out when the front of my car was, at least, in line with him. 

He wasn't vision impaired and he wasn't deaf, quite why you'd bring that up IN THIS INSTANCE is just a smokescreen.

Now the crux of the matter is that a vehicle can do serious damage to a human so to give human beings "right of way" in any situation is, IMO, asking for trouble, especially when you get an obnoxious tosser that I encountered last night. 

I'm well aware of MY responsibility when driving a car, this applies to pedestrians, and bikests as well, a fact often forgotten. 

There are plenty of zebra crossings and pedestrian operated traffic lights to allow people to cross safely.

I once came home with scratches and dents on one side of my car. My wife asked what happened and where. I simply explained that I was in a car park when the wall (just like some pedestrians it seems) jumped out and hit the side of the car for no reason at all. Strangely, she didn’t buy that story.

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:Now the crux of the matter is that a vehicle can do serious damage to a human so to give human beings "right of way" in any situation is, IMO, asking for trouble, especially when you get an obnoxious tosser that I encountered last night. 

At risk of repeating myself to someone deaf to advice….

Your absurd opinion is irrelevant.  Many knowledgeable, influential and intelligent people have for many years been more than aware of the damage people in cars can wreak on people not wearing steel around them and have reached this conclusion/judgement….

Formulated a Law….

The law states that motorists should give way to pedestrians “if they have started to cross.” This states Rule 204 is because “the law recognizes that driving a car or motorbike always puts other people at risk and pedestrians are the most vulnerable of all road users.

If he started to cross a nanosecond before you reached him, that did not give you good reason to hit him.  You avoided doing so.

His reaction as reported by you, appears to me to cast some doubt on how blameless you actually may have been.  But you missed him.

Well done you.  It’s not as though you’re the first driver on earth to be fortunate, in that manner.  Why you should boast about it in a public forum (and seek to wrongly absolve yourself from all potential blame) baffles me.

If you’d hit him, you would have been seen as - at least - partly culpable.  It’s not man V car. It’s man v Man in car, probably driving quickly and dangerously, though doubtless, you’re convinced that you’re Mr Perfect and blameless.

I merely tried to point out my reaction (and interpretation of the actual law)as opposed to what I read as a very “needy”  post.

7 hours ago, antrin said:

At risk of repeating myself to someone deaf to advice….

Your absurd opinion is irrelevant.  Many knowledgeable, influential and intelligent people have for many years been more than aware of the damage people in cars can wreak on people not wearing steel around them and have reached this conclusion/judgement….

Formulated a Law….

The law states that motorists should give way to pedestrians “if they have started to cross.” This states Rule 204 is because “the law recognizes that driving a car or motorbike always puts other people at risk and pedestrians are the most vulnerable of all road users.

If he started to cross a nanosecond before you reached him, that did not give you good reason to hit him.  You avoided doing so.

His reaction as reported by you, appears to me to cast some doubt on how blameless you actually may have been.  But you missed him.

Well done you.  It’s not as though you’re the first driver on earth to be fortunate, in that manner.  Why you should boast about it in a public forum (and seek to wrongly absolve yourself from all potential blame) baffles me.

If you’d hit him, you would have been seen as - at least - partly culpable.  It’s not man V car. It’s man v Man in car, probably driving quickly and dangerously, though doubtless, you’re convinced that you’re Mr Perfect and blameless.

I merely tried to point out my reaction (and interpretation of the actual law)as opposed to what I read as a very “needy”  post.

It's strange it's only MY opinion that you choose to respond to, you'd think you had some sort of personal issue with me........:lol

You're drivel is reaching new levels, keep it up, my sides are aching, you silly old fool. :happyclapper

PS Are you sure it wasn't you? :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

I understand that the law now clearly “favours” the pedestrian but the law already required a driver to drive in a manner which means that they can safely stop before hitting a vehicle or person in front of them.

I think most of us have felt that moment when you wonder if you will stop in time or collide and it usually occurs when something or someone in front does something unexpected. Maybe a wake up call on our driving style or judgement or maybe not.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

It's strange it's only MY opinion that you choose to respond to, you'd think you had some sort of personal issue with me........:lol

I know you believe the world revolves around you, but that is also wrong.  I respond to hunners of posts on here.   In particular, I was responding not to your opinion, (which I consider irrelevant) but to your misunderstanding of facts and reality.

You're drivel is reaching new levels, keep it up, my sides are aching, you silly old fool. :happyclapper
Wow! Sophisticated fresh patter. It’s been… at least… days since you dredged up that one.  How do you maintain such a low level of put-downs and zingers?!  In order for you to insult me, I’d first have to value your opinion.

PS Are you sure it wasn't you? :byebye
But you’re still the sophisticated King of Emojis! Arbroath must be proud…

Slightly off topic, but due to the magnitude of arseholery displayed by some piece of refuse this morning.................

I had just turned onto Johnstone High Street from Laighcartside Street after popping in to Lidl, when I noticed a black BMW horsing it along the High street behind me. He must have been doing 50 mph easily. I got to the car wash half way up Thorn Brae, where there was a short queue of cars, as a bus had stopped across from the station and slowed to s stop. Said Arsehole showed no signs of slowing and instead, veered onto the other side of the road and proceeded to drive all the way up to the Silver Tassie at the same speed. There was a woman directly in his path, who if she hadn't slowed down to a stop, would have faced a head on collision. The Arsehole turned up Overton Road, never to be seen again. As I drove by the women who had stopped, she looked completely stunned.

Mad smiley 233

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Slightly off topic, but due to the magnitude of arseholery displayed by some piece of refuse this morning.................

I had just turned onto Johnstone High Street from Laighcartside Street after popping in to Lidl, when I noticed a black BMW horsing it along the High street behind me. He must have been doing 50 mph easily. I got to the car wash half way up Thorn Brae, where there was a short queue of cars, as a bus had stopped across from the station and slowed to s stop. Said Arsehole showed no signs of slowing and instead, veered onto the other side of the road and proceeded to drive all the way up to the Silver Tassie at the same speed. There was a woman directly in his path, who if she hadn't slowed down to a stop, would have faced a head on collision. The Arsehole turned up Overton Road, never to be seen again. As I drove by the women who had stopped, she looked completely stunned.

Mad smiley 233

See similar things more and more.

The guy you seen must have a relation up my way.

This chunt overtakes at every opportunity, if its safe or otherwise. 

I'd personally love to have a James Bond car to blow these fannies to smithereens.