Raith Lose Major Sponsor…………

HSS

On one level this is simple. He appears to have acknowledged that he was guilty by settling a civil case. Two thoughts. Has he paid for his mistake? Is he able to put it behind him? Then …what should the rest of us do? Do we agree that this was clearly wrong..yes. Then what?

the question over rehabilitation has never been answered, had Goodwillie admitted his guilt, taken the punishment without complaint and undergone therapy or education, as well as compensating his victim, would he be considered as acceptable?  He would have lost maybe 3-4 years of his career but could have come back in another country, would he be seen as having paid his debts to the victim and society?  There wasn't the same outcry when he started back in football at a lower level and he has been at Clyde for a few years now, playing against and alongside a lot of younger players.  I don't support him playing football at all and would definitely have cracked if he was touted as a SMFC target, but still wonder if it is right to expect someone to pay for the rest of his life.

8 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Sturgeon getting involved with it now as well. 

How come Clyde were okay with it for so long?

A really good point, why are Raith seen as a step too far here?  I'm not happy that he came back to football, but he has been back for years now.  He is either an acceptable person or he isn't.

Martindale continues to be treated well and there are no politicians or other high profile people raising objections

56 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

A really good point, why are Raith seen as a step too far here?  I'm not happy that he came back to football, but he has been back for years now.  He is either an acceptable person or he isn't.

Martindale continues to be treated well and there are no politicians or other high profile people raising objections

My thoughts exactly.. Why are Raith seen as a step too far? He has been back for 5 years.................

2017–2022  Clyde  121 apps (81 goals)

A major sponsor, the women's football captain and an SLO, all female have withdrawn their support/resigned. In addition, a former club chairman has resigned from the board. Goodwillie has never, at any time, showed any evidence of remorse. Can Raith Rovers now continue to claim to be a community club?

A major sponsor, the women's football captain and an SLO, all female have withdrawn their support/resigned. In addition, a former club chairman has resigned from the board. Goodwillie has never, at any time, showed any evidence of remorse. Can Raith Rovers now continue to claim to be a community club?
Maybe he thinks he's innocent and has nothing to be remorseful about.

1 minute ago, Slarti said:
44 minutes ago, smcc said:

Maybe he thinks he's innocent and has nothing to be remorseful about.

Just like Boris?

1 hour ago, smcc said:

The Community Trust who organise the Ballboys say they won’t be providing any tonight

Edited by HSS

14 minutes ago, Rascal said:

On one level this is simple. He appears to have acknowledged that he was guilty by settling a civil case. Two thoughts. Has he paid for his mistake? Is he able to put it behind him? Then …what should the rest of us do? Do we agree that this was clearly wrong..yes. Then what?

He didn't settle, he protested his innocence and the judge ruled on his guilt,

On 2/1/2022 at 1:43 PM, Rascal said:

No he hasn't. He had two options. Pay or try to overturn the civil case. In these type of court cases you are deemed guilty unless you can prove otherwise, the opposite of a criminal case, so it was probably futile to throw more money at it. Whether guilty or otherwise.

I don't know if he was guilty, though I suspect he was, and I don't blame those who were directly involved with the club withdrawing their support due to their assumptions but why would the Scottish Government suddenly want to hound him when they ignored him while he was plying his case for a smaller club? It doesn't make any sense. Unless it is purely for publicity.

No he hasn't. He had two options. Pay or try to overturn the civil case. In these type of court cases you are deemed guilty unless you can prove otherwise, the opposite of a criminal case, so it was probably futile to throw more money at it. Whether guilty or otherwise.
I don't know if he was guilty, though I suspect he was, and I don't blame those who were directly involved with the club withdrawing their support due to their assumptions but why would the Scottish Government suddenly want to hound him when they ignored him while he was plying his case for a smaller club? It doesn't make any sense. Unless it is purely for publicity.
Or maybe just answering questions?

Of course, our very own Danny Lennon played him, made him captain, and said he was sad to see him go but hopes Clyde "helped him through a difficult period in his life".
It really is astounding how he could be so much on the wrong side of this debate.
It's a totally horrible and disgusting situation whichever way you look at it.

A girl has been seriously wronged or a professional footballer has been hounded.

I'm not comparing the degree of potential harm. That's a no brainer.

But for 5 years the guy has played football and nobody has batted an eyelid.

Why now?

No criminal prosecution took place. Criminal convictions have to rely on absolute evidence.

The Civil case is based on "the balance of probabilities"

It is not absolute and not a guaranteed correct decision. It's a judgement call.

Bringing it up to date... Those attacking him say he should apologise.

He said at the time he did no wrong but confessed to consensual sex whilst under the influence of alcohol.

If he apologises now, is he not at risk of further attack from people saying it is a confession of guilt?

Could he then be tried in a criminal court? I don't know.

If he genuinely believes he did no wrong, he should most definitely NOT apologise unless he wants to make Boris sound credible.

If he IS guilty and is denying it, he is a C U Next Tuesday and deserves castrated... But I'm in no place to judge and I'm not sure many of his critics are qualified to do so either.

He denied and denies rape, but all day has been referred to in the news as a rapist.

The whole situation stinks.

There are no winners here.

Again though, I keep returning to... What has changed in the last five years?

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Hendo said:

Of course, our very own Danny Lennon played him, made him captain, and said he was sad to see him go but hopes Clyde "helped him through a difficult period in his life".

It really is astounding how he could be so much on the wrong side of this debate.

The big difference is that Danny knows him and we don’t 

you can’t condemn DL unless you are as close to the facts as he is

It's a totally horrible and disgusting situation whichever way you look at it.

A girl has been seriously wronged or a professional footballer has been hounded.

I'm not comparing the degree of potential harm. That's a no brainer.

But for 5 years the guy has played football and nobody has batted an eyelid.

Why now?

No criminal prosecution took place. Criminal convictions have to rely on absolute evidence.

The Civil case is based on "the balance of probabilities"

It is not absolute and not a guaranteed correct decision. It's a judgement call.

Bringing it up to date... Those attacking him say he should apologise.

He said at the time he did no wrong but confessed to consensual sex whilst under the influence of alcohol.

If he apologises now, is he not at risk of further attack from people saying it is a confession of guilt?

Could he then be tried in a criminal court? I don't know.

If he genuinely believes he did no wrong, he should most definitely NOT apologise unless he wants to make Boris sound credible.

If he IS guilty and is denying it, he is a C U Next Tuesday and deserves castrated... But I'm in no place to judge and I'm not sure many of his critics are qualified to do so either.

He denied and denies rape, but all day has been referred to in the news as a rapist.

The whole situation stinks.

There are no winners here.

Again though, I keep returning to... What has changed in the last five years?

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just that the Clyde fans were willing to accept him and the Raith fans aren't. I would think that there would be a similar response at most clubs, makes you wonder why there wasn't at Clyde.