St Mirren v St Johnstone SPFL PREMIERSHIP 9/2/22

shull

Always a late arrival home after these midweek fixtures and always shattered the next day.

But totally worth it - a huge win!

Like others have said all the three new guys were excellent and its great to have a striker who looks eager, interested and capable of putting the ball in the net!

I also thought Ronan was fantastic again - and Jak played to his usual high standard.

No real failures and other winnable fixtures this month means we can start looking at 4th as a realistic target. 

Always a late arrival home after these midweek fixtures and always shattered the next day.
Like others have said all the three new guys were excellent and its great to have a striker who looks eager, interested and capable of putting the ball in the net!
I also thought Ronan was fantastic again - and Jak played to his usual high standard.
No real failures and other winnable fixtures this month means we can start looking at 4th as a realistic target. 
[emoji2958]

3 hours ago, southsidebud said:

3rd  Jam tarts are pish  :)

11 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

They made 5 substitutes we made one, Tait at left back and Flynn on, tells me the squad is far too light,  fresh legs I reckon we would have killed them late on 

It's one of my issues with JG.  I get there was only 1 goal in it but if Henderson replaced Kiltie that last chance could have been our 3rd goal.

I'd like to see us resting Power, Kiltie and maybe Dunne for the Kelty game. Erhahon, Hendo and McCarthy getting some match fitness. 

With mid week games we may need to utilise the squad more and let some players have more recuperation between games. LIVI do that well. It means players desparate to take their chances...

I doubt JG will make much of a change to the 1st 11 though...

Got to say, I am allowing myself to get excited about Alex Grieve.  Not something I usually do.  Attitude, just enough pace and a great eye for space behind defences or amongst them.  High time we had a young striker who plays the game so well in the modern way.

tie him up on a longer deal now, once he adds some more upper body strength and some extra pace then he will be a really hot property

Edited by beyond our ken

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

It's one of my issues with JG.  I get there was only 1 goal in it but if Henderson replaced Kiltie that last chance could have been our 3rd goal.

I'd like to see us resting Power, Kiltie and maybe Dunne for the Kelty game. Erhahon, Hendo and McCarthy getting some match fitness. 

With mid week games we may need to utilise the squad more and let some players have more recuperation between games. LIVI do that well. It means players desparate to take their chances...

Kiltie made three "hard yard" defensive tracking runs in the last 10 minutes when St Johnstone were having a wee bit of possession, as yet Henderson's focus (not a criticism) is not on defensive responsibility. I think JG was right to protect the lead under the circumstances.

Well I got my wish, a fairly "ugly" win, but nevertheless, A WIN :clapping

We were lucky with our penalty, personally I thought it was soft the moment I saw it and seeing it several times now after on TV, I haven't changed my mind, but generally I thought the ref had a poor game and made a strange number of calls on both sides. I suppose that is the standard you now get in the SPFL!

I'm not going to get excited by Grieve yet, but what was very encouraging was his movement into space running the lines between the defenders and being a real pain in the a*s for the St Johnstone defence all night. I thought keeping him on for the full game was a brave call as I thought that he was slightly running out of steam towards the end of the game, but I like his competitiveness, his quickness of thought and action and he scored a striker's goal, so can't ask for anything more.

Overall a good performance from the team, poor(ish) first half but better 2nd 45 minutes. I think Tait has lost a little bit of form / confidence, and made a few errors initially but got a bit better, again in the 2nd half. 

As I said yesterday, with Dundee winning at Hearts, it shows that there are no easy games in this league and just above Dundee there are 7 teams separated by just 6 points. It will be dog eats dog for the next 12 / 13 games.

Started quite well then fell away for the rest of the first half. Am I alone in disagreeing with the BBC pundits who said ours wasn't a penalty? I thought Greive was definitely bundled over by McCart (?).

We were far better most of the second half but we could have used a couple more subs to replace a few tired legs. A few doom and gloom merchants around me were moaning about "another Motherwell" scenario. While I didn't think that would be the case as we were still hitting on the break, it was a little uncomfortable.

Still. What a find the lad Greive might be. He never stopped all game. The other two new arrivals have been really good additions but they were kind of known quantities Our new striker, on the other hand, really is a major surprise. He's also is very good at making defenders do the wrong thing and gets us a few free kicks.

Superb start to 2022. Top six and deservedly so. The only real blot is the late draw v Motherwell. It really shows how well we are doing if we think that is a minus.

Edited by stlucifer

3 hours ago, WeeBud said:

Kiltie made three "hard yard" defensive tracking runs in the last 10 minutes when St Johnstone were having a wee bit of possession, as yet Henderson's focus (not a criticism) is not on defensive responsibility. I think JG was right to protect the lead under the circumstances.

Kiltie had a good game and has been a revelation this year. He just looked out of energy late on and at that last shot.

Henderson needs game time and coaching to make sure he does all that is required of him - it's no good having him but him being of little use.

I understand JG protecting the lead too, but every now and then getting another goal in front might be a better strategy... Motherwell 93rd minute a case in point.

I don't think we've won a league game by more than 1 goal... goal difference might mean a place in our final league position again too...

Kiltie had a good game and has been a revelation this year. He just looked out of energy late on and at that last shot.
Henderson needs game time and coaching to make sure he does all that is required of him - it's no good having him but him being of little use.
I understand JG protecting the lead too, but every now and then getting another goal in front might be a better strategy... Motherwell 93rd minute a case in point.
I don't think we've won a league game by more than 1 goal... goal difference might mean a place in our final league position again too...
Didn't notice it at the game but watched Sportscene last night you should watch Kiltie chance again ball takes a horrendous bobble just before he hits his shot so I'm absorbing him of any blame for that miss.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Started quite well then fell away for the rest of the first half. Am I alone in disagreeing with the BBC pundits who said ours wasn't a penalty? I thought Greive was definitely bundled over by McCart (?).

We were far better most of the second half but we could have used a couple more subs to replace a few tired legs. A few doom and gloom merchants around me were moaning about "another Motherwell" scenario. While I didn't think that would be the case as we were still hitting on the break, it was a little uncomfortable.

Still. What a find the lad Greive might be. He never stopped all game. The other two new arrivals have been really good additions but they were kind of known quantities Our new striker, on the other hand, really is a major surprise. He's also is very good at making defenders do the wrong thing and gets us a few free kicks.

Superb start to 2022. Top six and deservedly so. The only real blot is the late draw v Motherwell. It really shows how well we are doing if we think that is a minus.

On Sportscene they were suggesting our penalty was for handball. 

35 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Didn't notice it at the game but watched Sportscene last night you should watch Kiltie chance again ball takes a horrendous bobble just before he hits his shot so I'm absorbing him of any blame for that miss.

Haven’t seen this on line. Would make sense as it looked almost easier to score after an excellent move.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

On Sportscene they were suggesting our penalty was for handball. 

I know. I couldn't understand how they came to that conclusion. It seemed obvious to me that Greive had been bundled over. Usually the ref indicates if it's hand ball. I didn't see any gesture to make that assumption.

8 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I know. I couldn't understand how they came to that conclusion. It seemed obvious to me that Greive had been bundled over. Usually the ref indicates if it's hand ball. I didn't see any gesture to make that assumption.

Either way it was on the soft side, but that’s fitba I guess. Some you win some you lose. 

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Ok didn't notice that...  but it did look a tired swing. Fairs fair, he worked hard the whole game.

I just think we don't give enough players match time unless someone drops out through injury.

I get play your best players logic but it's been 3 games every 8 days and fatigue or off nights could cost us too.

Anyways if we could win the next league game were in serious dizzy heights and we ought to be hugely grateful indeed....   cheers

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Either way it was on the soft side, but that’s fitba I guess. Some you win some you lose. 

The ref was pretty poor... but Greive was getting pulled, shirt tugged all night... think he may have been bumped a bit but stumbled and the ref thought it was more of the same and gave the penalty.

Who cares now Greive wins the penalty for our equalizer and then scores the winner - welcome to the Real Saints Alex Greive  - more of the same please  :cheers

3 hours ago, Rascal said:

Haven’t seen this on line. Would make sense as it looked almost easier to score after an excellent move.

What was impressive of the move was the fact the Greive was unselfish by playing Kiltie in when could have taken it himself really also the fact Jones was still going to make himself available too after a hard slog of a match speaks volumes to how team have gelled imo. Ronan for me has stepped out the shadow of McGrath and now we are seeing what he is about really. 

16 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

What was impressive of the move was the fact the Greive was unselfish by playing Kiltie in when could have taken it himself really also the fact Jones was still going to make himself available too after a hard slog of a match speaks volumes to how team have gelled imo. Ronan for me has stepped out the shadow of McGrath and now we are seeing what he is about really. 

Agree. Said to others with me at the time that he chose to pass to what he thought, IMO, was a better placed teammate. Team shape and cohesion   Is showing through. Losing so few games this season has helped build resilience too.