Hearts v St Mirren, Scottish Cup Quarter Final

faraway saint

2 hours ago, Ethan said:

You are spot on. Enjoy Ronan while we can. The lad is outstanding. He will surely have clubs queuing up to sign him. 

I dont get the slagging of Jones he works his socks off and is quality we didnt have in the first half of the season. 

Sorry; a quality player doesn't keep falling over when nobody touches him, a quality player tracks back and tackles (or in Jones case, falls over), a quality player has more than a one in 20 success rate in passing, dribbling or shooting, and finally a quality player is NOT Jones, he is an average to good player, a quality player is someone who can do the things that Ronnan did, not Jones ever for me, waste of a wage.

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

From my big comfrey seat in my house, i thought we did as well as could be expected since they are better than us.

On tonight show, we should have no fear for our next 2 games V Dundee U and Motherwell that may get into the top 6.c

Tommy. We matched them in spells during the game. Scored two Great Goals.  Took the game to them in spells but also made some individually poor mistakes in defence. Are Hearts a good team? Yes. Are we a good team ? Yes but some improvement needed.  Neither United or Motherwell are as good as Hearts.  Both are winnable given hard work and fewer defensive mistakes IMO.

Now the dust has settled I hope the players & manager take the positives and use them to play to the same level in the remaining 3 games before the split.

I had three separate messages from people last night, one being an Everton supporter, saying pretty much the same thing, thanks for putting on an entertaining game, our goal would grace ANY league anywhere and looking at our league position they can see why we're in with a shout of being a top six team.

Look at how we exited last season's semi finals, with a whimper. 

It's been an up and down season so far, contrasting runs of form but, with three games to go, we'd have taken being where we are when the season started.

We're in the mix, and not the relegation mix.

Dundee Utd next at home, not an easy game but they are not prolific up front either.

We then have a couple of weeks break then Motherwell away before the last game at home against Rangers. 

It's also pleasing that Aberdeen are in the shit, plenty of their support still think Fergie is the manager. :lol:

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

From my big comfrey seat in my house, i thought we did as well as could be expected since they are better than us.

On tonight show, we should have no fear for our next 2 games V Dundee U and Motherwell that may get into the top 6.c

image.jpeg.0b879962085a30812e1f54c01c8f520f.jpeg

Comfrey - a sensible choice of chair, if you suffer from supporting St Mirren.  :(

Really enjoyable game last night, big range of emotions in the stands

Pre match buzz was brilliant, popped into the Grosvenor party, bar was ridiculously busy so went to the Haymarket Bar instead. Fans mixed well, was all pretty friendly. The march to the ground was brilliant, police did a good job, think they were surprised by the numbers!

First 20-25 minutes it seemed like the players couldn't get to grips with the Tynecastle pitch (which was in great condition tbf)

At 2-0 down it looked bleak but to come back the way that we did was impressive. I enjoyed the style of play, passing on the deck and was great to see players keen to get on the ball - movement was good.

The 2 goals were magnificent. Technique by Brophy to flick the ball into the net was only surpassed by Ronan's thunderbolt

Biggest concern for me was how easily Hearts were able to cut through our defence and get to the by-line. Some basis errors made that could have been avoided. Won't single out individuals but we really need to improve in the full back areas and be more switched on. 

No complaints about the result, Hearts deserved their win. 

22 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I enjoyed the style of play, passing on the deck and was great to see players keen to get on the ball - movement was good.

The 2 goals were magnificent. Technique by Brophy to flick the ball into the net was only surpassed by Ronan's thunderbolt

Agreed, as I've said, the best football we've played for quite some time, even at 2-0 I felt we were in it. 

Aye, Brophy's goal has been overlooked a bit.

Great move and excellent finish, certainly not easy. 

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Agreed, as I've said, the best football we've played for quite some time, even at 2-0 I felt we were in it. 

Aye, Brophy's goal has been overlooked a bit.

Great move and excellent finish, certainly not easy. 

Most encouraging thing is that the players were making themselves available and finding space. Felt like a few of them were going through the motions a bit after Goodwin left, encouraging to see the new gaffer putting his own stamp on our style of play. Should be fairly obvious to SR where we need to improve

We were weak defensively on our left flank and that is what cost us the match.

On the other hand, it could be argued that Hearts wide men were their main strength - as well as their overall ability to keep possession and run into space - that is something we must aspire to improve upon.

For it is our biggest failing.

11 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

On the other hand, it could be argued that Hearts wide men were their main strength - as well as their overall ability to keep possession and run into space - that is something we must aspire to improve upon.

Very accurate observation 

17 hours ago, lenziebud said:

We have had 2 winnable matches under Robinson, RC and Dundee. He's at 50% win rate for me.

It would have been no better under Goodwin. 

The abuse of Robinson is a total joke.

We can judge him next season when he has his own players in.

I merely stated he has made a dreadful start, four defeats in five games and questioned whether he is the right choice. I prefer not to wait until next season to judge either team or manager, it’s what is happening now that is relevant. Do take time to read posts carefully before criticising. 

4 hours ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

I merely stated he has made a dreadful start, four defeats in five games and questioned whether he is the right choice. I prefer not to wait until next season to judge either team or manager, it’s what is happening now that is relevant. Do take time to read posts carefully before criticising. 

So what kind of results did you expect in the matches outside of RC and Dundee ?

His start is not dreadful and there isn't enough in the performances of the team to question why he was appointed that is why I criticised your post which I did read carefully.

I also made the point that I think the same set of results would have happened under JG

Edited by lenziebud

Too early to damm him and too early to praise him. Hoped for a point against RC who are in form and a win against Dundee. Got 3 out of 4 points from those. Expected nothing from Celtic or indeed Hearts Games. Too fit, too strong and sadly, better players. 

Got to say that was probably one my best saints games (atmosphere wise), I truly thought it was going to be our night, whilst we may have given Hearts a bit of a ‘bloody nose’ we fell short on the night.

Cannot fault us for effort but a few observations as follows:-

1) unless injured why did we take Gogic off - I thought he was immense. We would be doing well if we could get him for next season.

2) Some very lucky team is going to get Connor Ronan next year - wish the boy all the luck in the world - he’s been brilliant for us - I must have watched that strike about 100 times since - an absolute cannon of a strike. First senior cap beckons surely?

3) Hearts a bit lucky with first and third goals, we could maybe have done more for the third (and fourth). Was tiredness after Wednesday a factor?

4) Our support - phenomenal. Don’t know if it was the Saturday night, the lights, the stadium but what a backing the team was given.

Let’s hope our season doesn’t fizzle out - so much to play for and be positive about.

COYS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

Got to say that was probably one my best saints games (atmosphere wise), I truly thought it was going to be our night, whilst we may have given Hearts a bit of a ‘bloody nose’ we fell short on the night.

Cannot fault us for effort but a few observations as follows:-

1) unless injured why did we take Gogic off - I thought he was immense. We would be doing well if we could get him for next season.

2) Some very lucky team is going to get Connor Ronan next year - wish the boy all the luck in the world - he’s been brilliant for us - I must have watched that strike about 100 times since - an absolute cannon of a strike. First senior cap beckons surely?

3) Hearts a bit lucky with first and third goals, we could maybe have done more for the third (and fourth). Was tiredness after Wednesday a factor?

4) Our support - phenomenal. Don’t know if it was the Saturday night, the lights, the stadium but what a backing the team was given.

Let’s hope our season doesn’t fizzle out - so much to play for and be positive about.

COYS

Spot on

I agree that overall we matched Hearts in most respects. 

It was great to see the ball played along the ground and the inter-passing and movement were good.

Where we differed from Hearts was down the flanks, especially the left flank (Jones has his fans and detractors and I fall into the area of not convinced as yet- he can score the odd goal, but he is a bit predictable in how he tries to get to the goal line), but also we miss players with an eye for goal. We have lacked that all season, especially a front runner with the ability to stick the ball in the net. Yes, Brophy's goal was clever and good and everything has been said about Ronan's, but we miss a poacher. It has been our failing for at least 4 or 5 years.

That having been said we are virtually safe and we could (with a wee bit of luck) finish in the top 6, tho' our three last games before the break are tough, especially the last one with the Blue ones determined to run it all the way to the end with the Glasgow cousins, so I won't predict 9 points out of 9, but 6 would be a good target, and possible................. 4th place is I think beyond us however.

(P.S. On the subject of wingers, I really like Livingston's Forrest, fast tricky and he has a good shot on him, - I'd take him over Jones if I had a choice of either)

47 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

That’s the first I’ve been in tynecastle since they replaced the old main stand It’s a brilliant stadium,possibly the best one in Scotland 

Its just a pity the home stands are full of arseholes

On 3/13/2022 at 12:19 PM, northstbuddie said:

They were targetting Tait all night, Neilson had clearly done his homework and identified him as the defensive weakness. He's playing right back first half, both goals come from down our right hand side. He's playing left back second half, both their goals come down our left hand side.

But yeah the better team won and we can have no complaints. 

12 minutes ago, TopCat said:

They were targetting Tait all night, Neilson had clearly done his homework and identified him as the defensive weakness. He's playing right back first half, both goals come from down our right hand side. He's playing left back second half, both their goals come down our left hand side.

But yeah the better team won and we can have no complaints. 

Somebody mentioned Tait had been signed for another season. I was hoping not as I think we have seen the best of him. Motherwell saw the best of him 2 seasons back !

Maybe as a squad player but that would be it for me.

Edited by lenziebud

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

Somebody mentioned Tait had been signed for another season. I was hoping not as I think we have seen the best of him. Motherwell saw the best of him 2 seasons back !

Maybe as a squad player but that would be it for me.

He put the cross in for our first goal and ran his socks off whole game. I don't agree he's done.

I agree that overall we matched Hearts in most respects. 
It was great to see the ball played along the ground and the inter-passing and movement were good.
Where we differed from Hearts was down the flanks, especially the left flank (Jones has his fans and detractors and I fall into the area of not convinced as yet- he can score the odd goal, but he is a bit predictable in how he tries to get to the goal line), but also we miss players with an eye for goal. We have lacked that all season, especially a front runner with the ability to stick the ball in the net. Yes, Brophy's goal was clever and good and everything has been said about Ronan's, but we miss a poacher. It has been our failing for at least 4 or 5 years.
That having been said we are virtually safe and we could (with a wee bit of luck) finish in the top 6, tho' our three last games before the break are tough, especially the last one with the Blue ones determined to run it all the way to the end with the Glasgow cousins, so I won't predict 9 points out of 9, but 6 would be a good target, and possible................. 4th place is I think beyond us however.
(P.S. On the subject of wingers, I really like Livingston's Forrest, fast tricky and he has a good shot on him, - I'd take him over Jones if I had a choice of either)

From what I remember, of his later time at Motherwell and what he did at Morecambe, Robinson likes to play a set up of 4-3-3 that has:
* 2 big strong centre backs
* A big strong holding midfielder
* A big strong target man
This then creating a real strong spine in the team.

He likes to play full backs that are really fit and can join the attack and get back as well.

He has also favoured high and out wide in the front 3 fast as f**k players, which shows that he signed before coming to us Dylan Connolly from Northampton, and in his time at Motherwell had fast player likes:
* Gboly Ariyibi
* Chris Cadden
* Jermaine Hylton
* Rolando Aarons
* Jake Hastie
* Christian Ilic
* Sherwin Seedorf
They night not be the best players in the world, but they made opponent defence have to keep tabs and stay accountable as they had some real pace... Something really lacking still with us.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk