Scott Brown as our new manager? Surely not?

doakie

Just now, faraway saint said:

Didn't someone say he was on a rolling 12 month contract? 

Reported by all the agencies as 18 month but Think many of these contracts may have that sort of thing written in.  Regardless , contracts can be ripped up, bought out , renegotiated or sometimes just plain ol ignored but Del Boy just needs to sit tight for next 3-4 months and If Killie are back in The big time, he’ll be calling the shots. 

47 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Theres no way McInnes would leave Killie so early to join us.

The clear and obvious answer here is JR. Don't know why we are wasting time with anything else.

It may be clear to you but does anyone actually know if JR wants to come back?

It's a bit like Snakes & Ladders and I'm afraid Jack is not on a ladder at the present time - so it is questionable if he will be as motivated to do as well here as he did before.

8 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

It's a bit like Snakes & Ladders and I'm afraid Jack is not on a ladder at the present time - so it is questionable if he will be as motivated to do as well here as he did before.

I don't know if Jack would want to come back but he's been sacked from the 2 jobs he's had since he left us so its a bit of a funny ladder he is on.

What other job in Scotland could he get that's better than us?

I don't see him getting anything in England again until he has another successful stint somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

No idea if JR would want to return, I hope he does, but if he isn’t interested I’d be curious why. I don’t think he’d find a bigger club in Scotland at present. The ugly sisters are non starters, Aberdeen opted against him, Hibs fired him so Hearts wouldn’t touch him, he apparently wasn’t interested in Dundee the team he supposedly supported growing up so couldn’t see Dundee United being interested.  Then you ask if his stock would be high in England, I don’t see that. So just say yes if asked the question Jack, you know it makes sense. 

Find it hilarious that some on here ... dont want probably the most successful club captain in the history of Scottish football... sure he can be a dick but so were many that went on to be successful...Brown could have stayed at Celtic for life but chose a harder path....i would welcome him...his contacts and his knowledge any day over Ross McInnes or the likes....bring it on...as the guy only knows 100%...

10 hours ago, fan4ever said:

I think if the club are talking to brown it will be as an assistant because they want lennon. Some may say we cannot afford lennon does he need the money prob pin money for him. But would much rather it was lennon who is proven and will demand results. Will have contacts also. 

Dissapointed jim has left but I think it will be a really hard job for him. But he is gone and I won't be devistated unless St mirren board recruit someone unproven. 

I would be OK with mcinnes or lennon. Don't want Ross.

Is it not funny how opinions differ, I would actually far rather have Danny Lennon back than either  mcinnes or lennon and for me certainly; I would absolutely need somebody who gives a sh*t about the club as the very first and non negotiable primacy of employment. 

6 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

Steven Naismith is possibly a good shout.

He, (like Goodwin and unlike Brown) seems a decent character.

Ross is a backward step (for him and Saints) and he is unlikely to be motivated in the St Mirren job.

We are likely to go for a promising but untried candidate - so Naismith or Bartley would fill that bill.

Quite like the idea of Naismith. I am not hooked that the new man has to have a connection with us, more that he isn't tainted by a connection with certain 'others' for me that rules out quite a few in the blue and green bigot brigade.............not all, but a few.  Naismith to me isn't tainted and he has played at a really good level and has always as far as I can remember come across as a reasonable, articulate and dignified man who would be worth an interview certainly. 

I will be assured of giving the board my opinion when they ring me and ask. :)

3 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Quite like the idea of Naismith. I am not hooked that the new man has to have a connection with us, more that he isn't tainted by a connection with certain 'others' for me that rules out quite a few in the blue and green bigot brigade.............not all, but a few.  Naismith to me isn't tainted and he has played at a really good level and has always as far as I can remember come across as a reasonable, articulate and dignified man who would be worth an interview certainly. 

I will be assured of giving the board my opinion when they ring me and ask. :)

What about his zero managerial experience, do you not think thats important?

Don't see how you could want someone with no experience rather than experience managers like Ross/McInness/Lennon 

1 minute ago, LargsBud said:

What about his zero managerial experience, do you not think thats important?

Don't see how you could want someone with no experience rather than experience managers like Ross/McInness/Lennon 

Naismith has been in and around football for a long time, from his days at Killie through Rangers, Everton, Norwich and Hearts and god knows how many Scotland caps.  He is a good team player  who has fitted in wherever he has been and served under some fairly auspicious managers,............ now perhaps he is the sort of dunderheid who hasnae listened tae a thing that they telt im, ............ but I rather think the opposite is more likely, so for me he is certainly worth an interview, and we shall see where that takes us.

As for  Ross/McInness/Lennon?  Well I could live with Jack Ross, I don't think the board could though.  McInness, sorry he doesn't rock my boat, a nearly man at best. And Lennon? Well like I said earlier, if it's Danny?, yes why not, I'm into nostalgia.  Neil Lennon would be an absolute no no for me.

5 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Naismith has been in and around football for a long time, from his days at Killie through Rangers, Everton, Norwich and Hearts and god knows how many Scotland caps.  He is a good team player  who has fitted in wherever he has been and served under some fairly auspicious managers,............ now perhaps he is the sort of dunderheid who hasnae listened tae a thing that they telt im, ............ but I rather think the opposite is more likely, so for me he is certainly worth an interview, and we shall see where that takes us.

As for  Ross/McInness/Lennon?  Well I could live with Jack Ross, I don't think the board could though.  McInness, sorry he doesn't rock my boat, a nearly man at best. And Lennon? Well like I said earlier, if it's Danny?, yes why not, I'm into nostalgia.  Neil Lennon would be an absolute no no for me.

It's no happening Mr Naismith, now give it a rest...😂😂

43 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Naismith is very highly rated plus is involved with the national team as well, we could do a lot worse.

I'm sure there are plenty of experienced managers out there that would be be better than Naismith.

However, can we afford them?

I Would have Jack Ross back as he's a good manager and knows the club. However I suspect that he's either still being paid by Hibs and/or has an agreement not to manage another premiership team until the end of the season.

An experienced manager is my favoured option, but of the experienced managers that have been mentioned so far - meh at best. 

If we're going down the route of untried manager then, like JJ, I'd prefer to Naismith over Brown.

We got lucky with Goodwin, in that he was a Saints legend and a decent manager. That type of manager doesn't exist at this point, so there's an element of risk with whoever we appoint.

The sooner the better though.

Whatever happens, if we appoint a good manager The Kibble will get no credit and if they're shite then it will be "all The Kibble's fault". :lol:

Edited by FTOF

After being at work on a full day shift got to thinking about the names as possible managers and as FOTF has rightly said most of the more experienced ones have nothing special about them, more a trail of failures at clubs. Agree with the situ with JR and hibs too.

Between Naismith and Brown, I'd go with Brown. Personally I would think he is a good motivator, knows the league, how teams set up, etc. Not forgetting in his years at Celtic particularly when Rangers weren't in SPL to keep a team with probably better players than himself motivated in what was a 1 horse race I think says a lot.

Also not forgetting it would also take Aberdeen's midfield enforcer away from JG.