Scott Brown as our new manager? Surely not?

doakie

We got Goody and Jack from lower leagues ... but i would want a bit of premiership pedigree this time.... but cant think of any i would want from ex managers... thinking on Brown he must be on some wage... was also thinking no way would they have gone for Goody 7 weeks ago showing how reactive recruitment is.... 

I don't see anyone from the lower leagues that would be up and coming I would want to take. Only lower league manager would be McInnes, but likely Killie would come up again and likely then be able to get more money.

Brown and Naismith I wouldn't mind, but if they had management experience. I think they both could be pricks on the field, but good off it. That was the way a lot of people viewed Goodwin. I would take either if like Goodwin they had time at a lower league team managing.

In my head last season I thought we were great. The issue was more draws than being able to finish them off. At the back we were solid and attack needed more. This season the switch to back 3 I thought was there to fit in players we had at the back, but didn't suit the player's we had. Switching back to back 4 has been great to push us on again. I wish we started that way this season.

I think we as a club are on the cusp of being able to push on and with the right steer could establish ourselves as a top 6 side if we tweak things and get someone in with experience and contacts.

Thinking for end of season we have quite a bit to fill from a starting lineup with Alnwick, Tanser, Jones, Gogic and Ronan off. We need someone who can help get people in that could fill these roles. Would the likes of Brown and Naismith be able to do that? Not sure.

I think if our goal was as it was always to just not get relegated, then take s punt on them. If the goal is to establish ourselves as a mid table/top 6 team then we need experience. Who would that then be that's out of a job

Jack Ross - talks that he was talking to clubs before getting permission. Not sure if true or not. He has been sacked from last 2 roles.
Tommy Wright - I thought did well at Fakes, but was not good at Killie. Not sure about him.
Derek Adams - done ok at points, but ego and arrogance could be an issue.
Grant McCann - don't know much about him, but friend of Jim and managed experience at decent levels.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Find it hilarious that some on here ... dont want probably the most successful club captain in the history of Scottish football..

How is this success qualified when the majority of his "success" was in a one horse race (no sustained challenge)? How did Celtic under Scott Brown's capatiancy fare in Europe during their 9 in a row seasons?

When it really mattered (their supposed 10 in a row season) Celtic, captained by Scott Brown capitulated by a mere 25 points.

Not for me as manager of our club.

How is this success qualified when the majority of his "success" was in a one horse race (no sustained challenge)? How did Celtic under Scott Brown's capatiancy fare in Europe during their 9 in a row seasons?
When it really mattered (their supposed 10 in a row season) Celtic, captained by Scott Brown capitulated by a mere 25 points.

Agreed. Celtic should have won the treble every year Rangers were in the grubber but were regularly beaten by lesser teams. Not saying that was all Brown’s fault but if he’s going to be praised for winning the league then criticising him for their failure in cups and Europe is fair.

1 hour ago, Kombibuddie said:

Are you a Sevco supporter ? Thats their arguement...Brown won plenty before they imploded... anyway my point is Brown will manage...he is high profile and is very well connected.... untested but if successful i am sure he would soon be our legend...  but lets see... i cant remember us seeking from such lofty heights

23 minutes ago, andrew87 said:

Agreed. Celtic should have won the treble every year Rangers were in the grubber but were regularly beaten by lesser teams. Not saying that was all Brown’s fault but if he’s going to be praised for winning the league then criticising him for their failure in cups and Europe is fair.

What if he gets us into Europe

Since there's some chit chat about the good things that another possible candidate has done it's only fair to mention that Scott Brown has been an ambassador for the homeless world cup since 2014. 

He also donated the proceeds of his testimonial to various charities, including the wife and family of Liam Miller, who sadly passed away at 37 years old.

47 minutes ago, andrew87 said:

That's nonsense Andrew, No team wins every trophy they enter, when Ranger's were cheating their way to league titles with their David Murray millions and EBT's 2000/2010 they lost 6 Scottish cups and 6 league cups.  in their 9 in row when Celtic were in the grubber they lost 6 Scottish Cups 

Knocked out by teams like Dunfermline  St johnstone  and Falkirk 

5 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

That's nonsense Andrew, No team wins every trophy they enter, when Ranger's were cheating their way to league titles with their David Murray millions and EBT's 2000/2010 they lost 6 Scottish cups and 6 league cups.  in their 9 in row when Celtic were in the grubber they lost 6 Scottish Cups 

Knocked out by teams like Dunfermline  St johnstone  and Falkirk 

I agree that Celtic were never going to win absolutely everything but I also take Scott Brown’s achievements with a pinch of salt (same as Neil Lennon during this time). Celtic could have had Mr Bean as captain/ manager & still delivered a good haul of silverware. 

The argument that Scott Brown would be a good choice because he’s worked under good managers. Apart from Rodgers he hasn’t really played under anyone with a really good reputation. 

Plenty of retired EPL players that have served under better managers for longer & that don’t come with the baggage. Sure Robbie Fowler was sniffing about Scottish jobs recently for example.  

17 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Find it hilarious that some on here ... dont want probably the most successful club captain in the history of Scottish football... sure he can be a dick but so were many that went on to be successful...Brown could have stayed at Celtic for life but chose a harder path....i would welcome him...his contacts and his knowledge any day over Ross McInnes or the likes....bring it on...as the guy only knows 100%...

Steady now. Plenty better candidates for the most successful captain in the history of Scottish football. Two that come to mind would be Billy McNeil and John Greig.

52 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I agree that Celtic were never going to win absolutely everything but I also take Scott Brown’s achievements with a pinch of salt (same as Neil Lennon during this time). Celtic could have had Mr Bean as captain/ manager & still delivered a good haul of silverware. 

The argument that Scott Brown would be a good choice because he’s worked under good managers. Apart from Rodgers he hasn’t really played under anyone with a really good reputation. 

Plenty of retired EPL players that have served under better managers for longer & that don’t come with the baggage. Sure Robbie Fowler was sniffing about Scottish jobs recently for example.  

I'm not suggesting he should be our first choice but I wouldn't rule him out like others just because he's a rascal on the pitch, He's more qualified than what Jim Goodwin was after a short stint at Alloa 

And I didn't realise you had to play under the like's of Pep Guardiola or Arsene Wenger to be a good manage :blink:  there is Walter Smith,  Gordon Stachan, Alex McLeish, Brendan Rodger's on his CV and the great tactical genius Jim Goodwin too now 

Tell me what great Manager's did the Greatest of them all play under Sir Alex Ferguson :lol:  

Edited by portmahomack saint

If, and it's a big if, the Record story about Scott Brown is true then the obvious question is this: Who among our decision makers is so out of touch with the fanbase to even consider employing such an abrasive, divisive character? I can't believe that anyone from our board would be so stupid?
Nah, it simply can't be true.
Can it?
This is the same rag that said the day before it's Steven Naismith. f**king shitty rag

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

It should only be McInnes, I see anyone else as being the next-best choice (at best)

one year of his Killie wages would secure the permission to talk business with him.  He would probably require a premium over his current salary but the current squad, a shot at the cup and potential of a top-six (or five, or 4) finish would have him giving us serious thought

It should only be McInnes, I see anyone else as being the next-best choice (at best)
one year of his Killie wages would secure the permission to talk business with him.  He would probably require a premium over his current salary but the current squad, a shot at the cup and potential of a top-six (or five, or 4) finish would have him giving us serious thought
I agree.
As a Paisley lad we have a pull.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I agree he would be the best option but I just can't see how he would leave Killie so soon after joining.

It would be a real black mark against his name with regards to his integrity if he jumped ship so early as soon as something slightly better came up. If it was for a big step up like the Old Firm then yes 100% he would do it, integrity goes out the window then.

But for a slightly better job like ours, I can't see it. 

6 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

I agree he would be the best option but I just can't see how he would leave Killie so soon after joining.

It would be a real black mark against his name with regards to his integrity if he jumped ship so early as soon as something slightly better came up. If it was for a big step up like the Old Firm then yes 100% he would do it, integrity goes out the window then.

But for a slightly better job like ours, I can't see it. 

I doubt it. Bring Killie back up and he is in a good position