Scott Brown as our new manager? Surely not?

doakie

5 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

And all superb players, all miles ahead of Scott Brown in ability ( although I’m not familiar with White ).  But that is not what the poster was saying ,  he was talking about successful .  Success is usually measured in Awards, medals, trophies & caps  won etc . 
I only checked Baxter & Bremner from your list then gave up,  Neither had anywhere near the amount of medal (etc )success and neither as many international caps but Brown simply couldn’t hold a candle to either as far a skill and ability is concerned. 
You may not like Brown as a player against Saints - neither do I ,, but I’d loved to have had him in my team any day of the week.  
What cant be argued is the success he has achieved in the Scottish game is hard to beat . And to that end he is one of the most successful in Scottish History as the poster says.

So...

Never mind the quality, feel the width?

Sigh.

I’d prefer Jack Ross but don’t get the animosity towards Brown and Naismith, I have my doubts either should be given a managerial appointment in the Top league with St. Mirren; I think it’s best to cut your teeth in the lower leagues. However both presumably are very knowledgable of the game with good contacts and don’t recall either being in headlines in the wrong way for life away from football. Also would have been happy if either had played for the saints. 

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Where did the poster even mention quality ?

He simply says that Scott Brown is one of Scotlands most successful footballers.   Do you disagree ?

As Scotland nowadays has played lots and lots more diddy games against lots and lots more diddy teams than happened in the days of the players (towards whom you don't even appear to offer lip-service!) then the quality of achievement and awards then in my head the quality droops to being - utterly irrelevant.

Broon has won his awards solely with one of the twin-cheeks.  Not a big deal.  There are shoals of anonymous ex-Bigot players who have won things.

Bremner and others competed in leagues in which it is much harder to win success than playing for either of the buttocks.   They actually played in Scotland teams that actually qualified for something!  In that respect Broon’s a total failure.

Not even knowing who WHITE is and not caring -suggests that it isnae really worth expending my time and typing to explain all this to you... but you did ask me to argue the case!  :)

In Scottish fitba, I think Broon is a quite majestic, shit-stirring and successful footballer - (while he was at Celtic) and never indicated otherwise.  If he had been able to continue or show that success at one of Scotland's diddy teams - Aiberdeen fit-like - I would have been a lot more impressed.  He hasn't.

Edited by antrin

All the chat about the trophies Brown (or any other candidate) have won is to an extent irrelevant. For every Mourinho or Wenger who did nothing as a player and were successful managers there’s a Neville brother who won everything going but were hopeless managers.

Likewise experience only counts so far. There are some rookies who excel such as Dalglish but probably far more that flounder like Gary Teale. I say probably because a lot of these guys never manage again and are forgotten about.

Appointing a manager is a roll of the dice and all we can do is narrow candidates down by what we think are important criteria then hope for the best. I believe their personal qualities and fit with the job are more important than trophies.

Personally I don’t want Brown as he’s mine and many other people’s most hated figure in Scottish football for the last 15 years. Some feel that his aggression, not taking any shit and generally willingness to get it up people are positive qualities. Maybe for a midfield hard man but not for a manager. There’s been plenty of times I think his conduct hasn’t been befitting of a club captain never mind manager. Maybe he’s matured but his reaction to getting Kent sent of recently did nothing to make me think so.

Incidentally if John Terry get linked with the job you replace Brown’s name with his for most of the posts in this thread.

Appointing either Brown or Naismith can only end badly for us. 

If they are shit, we regress.

If they are great, they'll be pinched by a wealthier club within 18 months.

Either way we're likely to be searching for another new manager in the relatively short-term future. 

Better to go for a more experienced manager with a CV containing successes and disappointments who would be less attractive to others if we do well, whether that person is Jack Ross or someone else. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Appointing either Brown or Naismith can only end badly for us. 

If they are shit, we regress.

If they are great, they'll be pinched by a wealthier club within 18 months.

Either way we're likely to be searching for another new manager in the relatively short-term future. 

Better to go for a more experienced manager with a CV containing successes and disappointments who would be less attractive to others if we do well, whether that person is Jack Ross or someone else. 

As saints supporters we all want progress.  Great progress. Success.

if saints DO progress - under whoever comes in to manage - then your logic dictates (as I believe reality also does) that St Mirren managers will always be enticed away by richer clubs.

So your rationale justifying why you’d not want Broon or Naisy is weak.

appoint either and strap in for the journey!

I’d not be averse to a taste of crazy joyful jubilation.

Edited by antrin

20 hours ago, Kombibuddie said:

No.

I'm saying, I don't think Scott Brown has adequate leadership skills to manage St Mirren.

Celtic' capitulation under his captaincy is an example to support my thinking.

Ok glad ur not a troll however hardly Browns fault that Sellick were shit... also not his fault so are Dons.... Naismith looks and sounds depressed..  Brown is passionate... i know where my vote lies.. and thank god Ross said no... our BOD look stupid approaching him

7 hours ago, andrew87 said:

All the chat about the trophies Brown (or any other candidate) have won is to an extent irrelevant. For every Mourinho or Wenger who did nothing as a player and were successful managers there’s a Neville brother who won everything going but were hopeless managers.

Likewise experience only counts so far. There are some rookies who excel such as Dalglish but probably far more that flounder like Gary Teale. I say probably because a lot of these guys never manage again and are forgotten about.

Appointing a manager is a roll of the dice and all we can do is narrow candidates down by what we think are important criteria then hope for the best. I believe their personal qualities and fit with the job are more important than trophies.

Personally I don’t want Brown as he’s mine and many other people’s most hated figure in Scottish football for the last 15 years. Some feel that his aggression, not taking any shit and generally willingness to get it up people are positive qualities. Maybe for a midfield hard man but not for a manager. There’s been plenty of times I think his conduct hasn’t been befitting of a club captain never mind manager. Maybe he’s matured but his reaction to getting Kent sent of recently did nothing to make me think so.

Incidentally if John Terry get linked with the job you replace Brown’s name with his for most of the posts in this thread.

Most of ROI like him

4 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Ok glad ur not a troll however hardly Browns fault that Sellick were shit... also not his fault so are Dons.... Naismith looks and sounds depressed..  Brown is passionate... i know where my vote lies.. and thank god Ross said no... our BOD look stupid approaching him

It takes the whole team but I think the captain takes a large chunk of responsibility and I just don't see Scott Brown as the right fit for St Mirren.

I'd buy you a beer if he got the job and my concerns were proved wrong.

Edited by Kombibuddie

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Looks like we can consign this thread and the Naisy thread to the bin. 

Don’t be so hasty. We could be reigniting these threads in a few months.

Option A - Scottish Cup final win, top 4 place and European qualification and our manager is poached by Aberdeen/Hibs

Option B - We lose our winning formula in the league, dumped out the cup, lose in a relegation playoff and we sack our manager

It’s St Mirren, so anything is possible.

Knowing our luck we will win the cup and get relegated. A bit like St Johnstone but cut it short by 12months.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, antrin said:

Scott Brown has left Aberdeen to pursue his coaching career.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60658894

Yon nasty Jim Goodwin couldn’t have wanted Scott’s help up there…. :)

(Or Brown recognises a sinking ship when he sees one.)

Well I never. Scott Brown must have been really happy with JG and vice versa.