Stephen Robinson

TopCat

This appointment was something of a surprise to me, after all the faffing around with Ross, Brown and Naismith. It seems Robinson was on the board's radar from quite early on but they managed to keep it quiet. Felt a little underwhelming to begin with, but with some time to think it over, I now feel he was the right choice out of what was available and affordable.

As others have said, he had a good record with Motherwell till near the end of his time there. He clearly has experience and knows his way around the league, so we need to give him full support and see what he can do with the current group of players. Presumably he has been promised a decent budget for summer signings if he does well in the next few months.

Chance to go 4th in the league tomorrow night, so no greater incentive needed for both players and the new management team. Would be a fantastic start to the new era for us, so, as always......

COYS!!

An excellent response by the club to losing Jim Goodwin.  Very quick to identify and appoint their chosen candidate.

Much better than a drawn out saga, with person after person 'withdrawing' from the race until only the least worst options remain.

A good choice too, having manged a similar size club to Saints and having taken them to cup finals/European football.

Hopefully will go on to have similar success at Saints. Welcome aboard Stephen!

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

image.png.898f5339673533ed8073017aed905a73.png

Taking training today and in the dugout tomorrow. Great business by the club to bring in an experienced and proven manager about 72 hours after the last one left. Looks like we are about £150k up aswell :clapping

I think some of the remaining 150k probably went towards topping up his salary from Jims one. Still, should hopefully be left with some profit.

Pleasantly surprised by this.

Fairly sure that Robinson was always the number 1 target - I believe the club have leaked 2 names to the media (Brown and Naismith), as the journalists reporting the stories are never far off - and kept the third secret in order to get their man. Media always jump on any story involving ex OF players so a solid tactic!

Situation has been managed extremely well by the club and credit got to be given where it's due.

Catching the attention of Fabrizio Romano was a bit surreal.

The usual suspects screaming Kibble conspiracies as soon as Naismith was linked was predictable but expected. Club are in a great position right now so I think the Kibble witch hunters need to chill out a bit...

53 minutes ago, TopCat said:

This tweeter got it spot on.

image.png.2aa6187f9fe033feb933e876d28e0540.png

Tap Head GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I actually wonder if the Naismith/Brown interviews were a fact finding mission on the part of the board/CEO.

Invite 2 former players, now coaches who between them have played at the 5 biggest clubs in Scotland and mine them for potential best-practice information under the guise of a job interview. 

Tough start for the Manager tomorrow night, games against team's fighting for their life are always fraught with danger and this one will be no different.

But what a start this could be for our new management team, When was the last time we were sitting 4th at this stage of a season, That's will get a few football club's chairman tongue's wagging... What's happening down Paisley way :blink: 

Hope we have Stephen on a big buy out clause at least 500K/750K we could be losing him before the Heart's game  

Our board take plenty of abuse so credit where credit is due, they've played a blinder here. Appointing a new manager always carries an element of risk but given what was out there I think Stephen Robinson is a great appointment for us. Not only that we have shown some balls to go in and poach him from an English club and then to top it off we also have Fabrizio Romano with 7 million followers tweeting about the mighty Buds. 

Well played Saints 👏👏

I think the club have come out of this last week very well.

First of all we had the foresight to build a very decent compensation clause into Goody's contract - £250K is absolutely not to be sniffed at.

They obviously knew Jim was going latter part of the week but even so to have appointed his successor 3 days after he officially left is pretty stellar work and they managed to keep Robinson's name quiet until the very last minute which again is very unlike us!

To have ended up with a solid, experienced manager who has a proven track record of doing well in this division and getting to the latter stages of cup competitions with a similar sized club is excellent work.

Robinson also has a history of bringing though young players and has had great success bringing players up from England and selling them on at a profit too.

The appointment ticks every box and to have all of that AND £150K profit is just outstanding.

4 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Good week for Scottie Broon...  no longer player coach ..injured.. and then not taken further by us...  karma....yes i would have taken him over boring Naismith but delighted to get another Irishman and a good one at that... win tom and we might all get nosebleeds... 

I suspect Goodwin will be disappointed with not losing Brown. I'm pretty certain he didn't want him as a coach but, given the fact Brown made his move from Celtic for a coaching role to progress into management, JG may well be stuck with a coach he didn't want or a very senior player who will be much less than happy. Disruption in the Don's dressing room? A tricky old situation for the new manager.

This is a very good, swift and well managed appointment by the club. 
Like many he didn’t even cross my mind. 
A good, solid, experienced manager who is the type of manager we need right now. This was not the time for an inexperienced experiment. 
The compensation, for me, is irrelevant and for once we have not stuffed the money in the bank and been proactive. 
Like any appointment we can’t guarantee success and he does, in fairness, have a decent track record despite Morecombes position. 
we have given ourselves a chance and wish him all the best. 
By the way, would be nice if the striker Cole Stockton follows him up at some point. He can certainly put the ball in the net. 

2 minutes ago, BanburyBud said:

This is a very good, swift and well managed appointment by the club. 
Like many he didn’t even cross my mind. 
A good, solid, experienced manager who is the type of manager we need right now. This was not the time for an inexperienced experiment. 
The compensation, for me, is irrelevant and for once we have not stuffed the money in the bank and been proactive. 
Like any appointment we can’t guarantee success and he does, in fairness, have a decent track record despite Morecombes position. 
we have given ourselves a chance and wish him all the best. 
By the way, would be nice if the striker Cole Stockton follows him up at some point. He can certainly put the ball in the net. 

Stockton already failed badly in the Scottish league , not for me !

4 minutes ago, David Boyd said:

Seeing on a website sportekz that St Mirren managers salary around 325k?

Had no idea we paid anything like this. 

Gobsmacked if true. But not sure I believe it

I don't think we do , JG came from part-time football to us so that would be one hell of a jump in salary. I've read McInnes was on that kind of salary latterly at Aberdeen so it's possible JG is on that kind of money now. 

Edited by WeeBud