Stephen Robinson

TopCat

On 3/2/2022 at 9:57 PM, billyg said:

I'm on my 28th St Mirren manager , I'm a  reasonable judge from early doors. I really hope we do the business in the next two games but I have my doubts !

On the bright side  at least we haven't had our hopes raised by a honeymoon period 

Didn’t see the game today. Just caught some of the stats. First half possession was about even. Penalty goal. Saints then dominated possession and , as I read it, chances in the second half. Changed from 5 at the back to 4..3..3 seemed to improve things. One game out of 3 that I thought we might get a point from. Far too early to write off either the team or the manager in at least matching last season’s points haul in what was generally felt to be a decent season.

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

The jury is out.

What does this mean JJMcG ? Why do you think it's necessary for us to have a jury ? Who is on trial here ?

The new manager has overseen only 3 matches, all of them tricky fixtures. He is still assessing his squad and doesn't yet know their particular strengths, weaknesses, or the ideal team structure. He needs time and games to assess all of this. Why would a jury be out within 2 weeks of his appointment ?

By and large you come across to me as one of our more sensible posters, hence my surprise at this appareny premature negativity. 

🙁

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

What does this mean JJMcG ? Why do you think it's necessary for us to have a jury ? Who is on trial here ?

The new manager has overseen only 3 matches, all of them tricky fixtures. He is still assessing his squad and doesn't yet know their particular strengths, weaknesses, or the ideal team structure. He needs time and games to assess all of this. Why would a jury be out within 2 weeks of his appointment ?

By and large you come across to me as one of our more sensible posters, hence my surprise at this appareny premature negativity. 

🙁

I get JJMcG"s frustration. Robinson is playing the exact formation that Goodwin had to bin as it was so painful on the eyes and resulted in an 11 game streak of no wins.  We go to a back 4 and pick up wins. Why is Robinson taking us back to playing with 5 at the back, why is Main anywhere near the team, why is Kiltie out wide. Why tinker from day 1  ? 

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

🙁

While your view has some credence there's also a well know phenomenon of "the new managers bounce" when players seem to lift their game and the new manager changes things for the better.

Neither of the above has happened.

I wouldn't agree that today's game was in the same bracket as the last two, so there was every hope we could have, at least, gained a point, if not three.

So it's perfectly reasonable for supporters to be disappointed. 

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

🙁

As an aside. I liked JG but he left us at a good time and in a good position. An ideal opportunity to bed in a new manager prior to a close season recruitment spell. I would be inclined to judge him after that. 

58 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

🙁

He's come in to a well paid position at the club. He should have sat down and watched every minute of our games during our wee good run of form and taken note of the players involved and the plusses and any negatives. If he's saying that he's stayed with the same team/formation , then he's even more clueless than I thought. The likes of Greive thrives on balls played in to his feet , defenders are unsure how to handle him. He didn't get one ball like that today, he was left to chase lost causes during the first half , then get's subbed . Bizarre decision , one of many today !

He's come in to a well paid position at the club. He should have sat down and watched every minute of our games during our wee good run of form and taken note of the players involved and the plusses and any negatives. If he's saying that he's stayed with the same team/formation , then he's even more clueless than I thought. The likes of Greive thrives on balls played in to his feet , defenders are unsure how to handle him. He didn't get one ball like that today, he was left to chase lost causes during the first half , then get's subbed . Bizarre decision , one of many today !
You would have hoped the coaching staff had also briefed him regarding the different formations and the results.

43 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
2 hours ago, billyg said:

You would have hoped the coaching staff had also briefed him regarding the different formations and the results.

Maybe they have tried. 

On 3/5/2022 at 6:39 PM, Wilbur said:

🙁

There's no way St Mirren with Tony Fitz as CEO would sack a manger after just four league games in charge, surely.  Hold on...

image.png.93bbbed645d4c6efbeaf9a07d3c1c238.png

Of course i am not saying he will or should be sacked. However, it's certainly not ridiculous and clearly not unprecedented to say that if this run of losing every game without scoring continues he will be under severe pressure very quickly. Stubbs had four league games in charge, won one of them (against Dundee funnily enough) and got binned. Robbo needs to win on Wednesday to match the start made by Stubbs. 

On 3/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, billyg said:

Seriously we have played Hearts and Celtic who are streets ahead of us. RC on a good run of form away is always a tricky fixture. 

Our good wee run of form wasn't all that great and but for having a superb goalkeeper we would have lost a good few of them. 

Grieve struggled badly against Hearts, Main made a difference when he came on with his physical strength. I know Main has been mince but Robinson only knows the Main at Motherwell so its not beyond reason to see why he's playing him atm.

I'm amazed that Aberdeen took Goodwin. I very much doubt we would have done any better in these 3 games under Goodwin.

I know you weren't overly impressed with the appointment of Robinson as I was too but we really need to give the guy a chance.

My gut feel is that his teams are a lot more expansive and attack minded that the sterile cr@p that Goodwin has served up for quite a while.

My gut feel also is that there will be quite a bit of change in the summer with contracts finishing and Robinson wanting to build his own team

We are very poor overall and for me I think we'll be 3rd bottom, we are not top six at all despite the delusions of many.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:49 PM, faraway saint said:

While your view has some credence there's also a well know phenomenon of "the new managers bounce" when players seem to lift their game and the new manager changes things for the better.

Neither of the above has happened.

I wouldn't agree that today's game was in the same bracket as the last two, so there was every hope we could have, at least, gained a point, if not three.

So it's perfectly reasonable for supporters to be disappointed. 

Supporters disappointed but that is it, not sacking the guy or questioning his appointment for losing to RC away ?

Plenty on here falling over themselves to praise his appointment and now 3 games later questioning the whole thing.

We didn't need a new manager bounce, if anything it was likely to go the other way as we haven't been all that great up until our wee run of wins.

I think Robinson has been dropped in it a bit as I'm not convinced we would have done any better under Goodwin in the last 3 games.

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

Supporters disappointed but that is it, not sacking the guy or questioning his appointment for losing to RC away ?

Plenty on here falling over themselves to praise his appointment and now 3 games later questioning the whole thing.

We didn't need a new manager bounce, if anything it was likely to go the other way as we haven't been all that great up until our wee run of wins.

I think Robinson has been dropped in it a bit as I'm not convinced we would have done any better under Goodwin in the last 3 games.

All subjective so no real point banging on about IF Goodwin had been in charge. 

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

We won our last three games in Dingwall under Goodwin.

57 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Yep the one I remember they were down to 9 men and we huffed and puffed to get over the line

To be fair LB they are not a bad team. They seem to start each season with an almost completely new squad, take time to gel and then come on to a better run. Like Livvy they seem to confound by achieving more than most think they might.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, lenziebud said:

Seriously we have played Hearts and Celtic who are streets ahead of us. RC on a good run of form away is always a tricky fixture. 

Our good wee run of form wasn't all that great and but for having a superb goalkeeper we would have lost a good few of them. 

Grieve struggled badly against Hearts, Main made a difference when he came on with his physical strength. I know Main has been mince but Robinson only knows the Main at Motherwell so its not beyond reason to see why he's playing him atm.

I'm amazed that Aberdeen took Goodwin. I very much doubt we would have done any better in these 3 games under Goodwin.

I know you weren't overly impressed with the appointment of Robinson as I was too but we really need to give the guy a chance.

My gut feel is that his teams are a lot more expansive and attack minded that the sterile cr@p that Goodwin has served up for quite a while.

My gut feel also is that there will be quite a bit of change in the summer with contracts finishing and Robinson wanting to build his own team

We are very poor overall and for me I think we'll be 3rd bottom, we are not top six at all despite the delusions of many.

Its a tough one for SR.  Privately between him and his assistant they must be thinking it's about rebuild as the squad just isn't well enough balanced to challenge top six with lots of players on way out.

I guess we would all like him to be honest and just say that if he thinks it's the case. However he can't really if he does want some out if contract players to stay and also have a good chance of bringing in decent frees and loans in the summer.

5 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

Its a tough one for SR.  Privately between him and his assistant they must be thinking it's about rebuild as the squad just isn't well enough balanced to challenge top six with lots of players on way out.

I guess we would all like him to be honest and just say that if he thinks it's the case. However he can't really if he does want some out if contract players to stay and also have a good chance of bringing in decent frees and loans in the summer.

Indeed, while I think it's been disappointing so far, we really should judge him next season.