Stephen Robinson

TopCat

Sounds as though the manager realises the importance of the next few days. 

Stephen Robinson demands St Mirren players 'step up' and warns season could be over by Sunday

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/stephen-robinson-demands-st-mirren-26412116?fbclid=IwAR3unOe9R1U03lS6YzLnzAEriIzWcKXYpJpMuV7rrv6LvhR3ICRHkv6tIt0

Aye right. There is news and fake news ……isn’t there. Which one is this? But…if it motivates the team further then ok. Meanwhile it helps sell newspapers to tell it in this way. Of course the next week or so will go a long way to defining our season. In / Out of the Cup. Chasing the top six spot whilst well placed or , unlikely as it may seem, hovering above the relegation zone. Tense, nervous but exciting. Just what football should be .

Edited by Rascal

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/st-mirren-boss-stephen-robinson-26416270

“I think Jim (Goodwin) previously flipped between a 4-3-3 and a 3-5-2 as well. There’s players that can play both formations.

ffs - obviously not done enough research or someone hasn't told him the more recent change in formation that provided some success. Suppose we will find out tonight.

1 hour ago, truesaint said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/st-mirren-boss-stephen-robinson-26416270

“I think Jim (Goodwin) previously flipped between a 4-3-3 and a 3-5-2 as well. There’s players that can play both formations.

ffs - obviously not done enough research or someone hasn't told him the more recent change in formation that provided some success. Suppose we will find out tonight.

TBF it did take Goodwin sometime to see the bleedin obvious. :wink:

59 minutes ago, truesaint said:

Well….he’s not going to tell Mark McGhee in advance which he is going to start with tonight. I’m sure you will agree that that wouldn’t make sense 

4 hours ago, truesaint said:

One well, the other, not so well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 10:03 PM, faraway saint said:

Aye, two games, one away to the league champions, is a black mark against him?

The Hearts game is impossible to tell if we'd have done any better with Goodwin, tonight would, IMO, probably have been the same result. 

Jeezo, give him a chance. 

We have always been teetering between a good season and a normal season, not a lot has changed.

As I said , I can tell from early doors if it's a 👍 or a 👎 , and it is plain to see already !

1 minute ago, munoz said:

If any players "heads have been turned ", then Robinson shouldn't be playing them. If this is the case, I'd be tempted to get some of our younger players involved in the run in.

Hes the one that told players they had no future  at the club !

Not long back after a good family day out, didn't know score etc BUT checked the post match interview. Beyond honking managerial appointment. Why oh why is it when we actually get a bit of money we can't wait to squander it on horrific decisions. I refer also to the Ian Ferguson money.

Right I'm going to put a comparison again this week between Robinson and Simpson at carlisle after today's match. Bear in mind both managers have had to work with what they took over and also players out of contract,etc at end of season. Have a look at both post match interviews then its glaringly obvious who can get the best out of what they have.

Finally no matter what industry anyone works in but if you have a manager that tells you, you have no future there are you really going to go the extra mile for that manager................

Robinson

1 hour ago, Scott-Leeds said:

I’ve lost count, is it 7 defeats in 8?

Progression?

Just wondering , early report card

I make it 6 defeats in 7 games. In the league that's 5 losses from 6.

950749786_Screenshot2022-04-0223_32_11.png.a054cecc131fa41eba9ad4be2182c725.png

Both ourselves and St. Johnstone are playing the Old Firm next week, so I doubt either of us will get anything. If St. Johnstone were to beat us after the split, that would mean a three point gap with four games to play.

If our form continues, I expect us to finish in 11th.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Oh my lord. What a horrible little snake c**t. He can get to f**k as far as I’m concerned after hearing this…

Actually, having listened to that, I have a bit more confidence in him. He's at least acknowledged that we are in a relegation fight, which is something. Watching the goals we conceded today, at least one of them was the fault of Lyness, and Shaughnessy was (unusually) at fault of another. These are individual errors that cost us.

I think we should all try to get behind Robinson until the end of the season, and then we will need to evaluate his performance. There will be a big clear out in the summer regardless, and let's just pray he can bring in some talent. However, I still don't think we would be in this position if we still had Jim.

1 hour ago, W6er said:

Actually, having listened to that, I have a bit more confidence in him. He's at least acknowledged that we are in a relegation fight, which is something. Watching the goals we conceded today, at least one of them was the fault of Lyness, and Shaughnessy was (unusually) at fault of another. These are individual errors that cost us.

I think we should all try to get behind Robinson until the end of the season, and then we will need to evaluate his performance. There will be a big clear out in the summer regardless, and let's just pray he can bring in some talent. However, I still don't think we would be in this position if we still had Jim.

I am sympathetic with what you write but Jim Goodwin has gone. He is not coming back and his new team sit just one place above us. 

Thinking more about the content of Robinson’s interviews: Surely someone within the club must also see his clumsy handling of interviews? I’m assuming they meet on a Monday and discuss the weekend’s result. 
It can’t be hard for someone to say  “Listen here Stevie boy, your need some media training because your choice of words is pish. Stop throwing your players, YOUR players under a bus”. Criticism is for private moments. Is he too thick to realise that confidence is everything?. He has as good as said he has no confidence in most of the players.
How then does he expect them to react on the pitch? An employee in any profession functions better when they know that their boss believes in them.

it doesn’t matter if they are footballers or window cleaners, if you hear that your boss thinks you’re a diddy there is no way you will give 100%.

At 1-1 yesterday I posted that this would be a high scoring match, due to 2 shite defences.

If it was so obvious to a punter watching on an iPad, then a professional manager can do no other than state the obvious - which he does in that interview.

BigJoe was far from his usual steady central performance with headless chickens running round him.

It was not pretty.  JG’s teams seldom were.

An honest interview reflects reality.  It doesn’t ease the pain of defeat.

He is not media savvy despite extensive managerial experience. Have mixed feelings about what l am seeing on the park, have some sympathy for the sentiment he is giving journalists- but please just don’t say it publicly. Good management means you don’t blame your tools the moment you get in the door. We are bang average but Robinson is not doing himself any favours with the support- or the players- with the way he is conducting himself post match. There is absolutely no way we should be in a situation where we are concerned about Fake Saints catching us- yet we are now!!!