Stephen Robinson

TopCat

1 hour ago, the barrhead teacher said:

He is not media savvy despite extensive managerial experience. Have mixed feelings about what l am seeing on the park, have some sympathy for the sentiment he is giving journalists- but please just don’t say it publicly. Good management means you don’t blame your tools the moment you get in the door. We are bang average but Robinson is not doing himself any favours with the support- or the players- with the way he is conducting himself post match. There is absolutely no way we should be in a situation where we are concerned about Fake Saints catching us- yet we are now!!!

BH. It’s amazing what pressure does to people. Each person also differs in their approach. Ross, Kearney and Goodwin were excellent with the media. I notice though that Jim had let his guard down a bit at Aberdeen where he has, or has allowed himself to be quoted talking about players he admires at other clubs including St Mirren. To be fair to Robinson, he has refused to do that even regarding the pre contract with O’Hara. I accept that his approach in publicly reproaching the players on their performance isn’t to everyone’s taste but isn’t that what many on here do? 

In most jobs you need to complete a probation period. This joker has failed on so many levels.

Ideally we should be able to terminate his employment, but football is a law unto itself.

Can Kibble not find him a job internally like his wife? 

Would like to know who he has told have no future at the club. 

We were not in a relegation battle when he took over as we overturned a poor set of results.

Players looked bereft of confidence and worryingly didn't seem to understand what tactics to follow.

It's a team game and I don't like this throw the players under the bus routine.

1 hour ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Thinking more about the content of Robinson’s interviews: Surely someone within the club must also see his clumsy handling of interviews? I’m assuming they meet on a Monday and discuss the weekend’s result. 
It can’t be hard for someone to say  “Listen here Stevie boy, your need some media training because your choice of words is pish. Stop throwing your players, YOUR players under a bus”. Criticism is for private moments. Is he too thick to realise that confidence is everything?. He has as good as said he has no confidence in most of the players.
How then does he expect them to react on the pitch? An employee in any profession functions better when they know that their boss believes in them.

it doesn’t matter if they are footballers or window cleaners, if you hear that your boss thinks you’re a diddy there is no way you will give 100%.

As much as I don't think Robinson was a good appointment {just don't feel it with him that he's a good fit for us}  

But he's 100% right, the goals we lost were pathetic. and I don't have a problem with him calling the players out when they deserve it they can get a cuddle when they get home....   our 2 fullbacks were a joke yesterday,  Tait is a nightmare at left back his lack of pace is frightening that won't go unnoticed by our bottom 6 rivals,  and did Goodwin not give him another year before he left.. :shutup 

The problem for me is this Goodwin team was set up to play negative football and part of Robinson's remit I reckon would have been to play a more attractive game at least I hope it was...  but you need the right players to do that, left back needs sorted for a start and right now and Tanser is not the answer either..  for me Charles Dunne would be ideal at left back he's big strong and very quick, take my advice if you want to keep your job Steven 

On 3/9/2022 at 6:44 AM, faraway saint said:

Sounds as though the manager realises the importance of the next few days. 

Stephen Robinson demands St Mirren players 'step up' and warns season could be over by Sunday

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/stephen-robinson-demands-st-mirren-26412116?fbclid=IwAR3unOe9R1U03lS6YzLnzAEriIzWcKXYpJpMuV7rrv6LvhR3ICRHkv6tIt0

Looks like he saw this coming a month ago..... and so did I 

Edited by portmahomack saint

Article from the Sunday Times today...maybe a wee bit mistimed!

Stephen Robinson has big shoes to fill in quest to end 37-year wait for top six spot

As he sets about building on the solid base left by Jim Goodwin at St Mirren, Stephen Robinson is still waiting for someone to tell him exactly when the club last finished in the top six. That’s the ambition of the Paisley club, but it’s one beyond their budget, which is well below the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs and falls short of a few other contenders too.

The answer to Robinson’s question is revealing, daunting even. St Mirren finished fifth in 1985, helped by Frank McAvennie’s goals before he moved to West Ham United. With apologies to the evergreen Frank, it really was that long ago. They finished seventh in three of the four seasons that followed but their best since is eighth — in 2012 and 2014.

The feeling among fans is that Robinson’s appointment can go one of two ways: either he picks up the baton from Goodwin and runs with it — he guided Motherwell to two cup finals and a third-placed finish during his time at Fir Park — or he’ll drop it and St Mirren will be back where Goodwin found them, staying in the Premiership by the skin of their teeth.

Even under Goodwin, the margins between success and failure were slim. St Mirren failed to win any of 11 league games between mid-October and the winter shutdown. After Christmas, they went on a run of six wins from seven games that catapulted them up the table and Goodwin into becoming Aberdeen manager.

“For a long period before Christmas they really struggled, we had a good period for a month after the break, where we won six out of seven including two [Scottish Cup] games against Ayr and Kelty,” Robinson says. “It certainly wasn’t perfect before Christmas and it was a run of results that made everything look really rosy. We’re somewhere in between the form before and after Christmas.

“Jim did a fantastic job. I am a friend of Jim’s and Aberdeen have got a fantastic manager, but everybody does it differently and it will take time to put your stamp on it and your people into the team. Jim started getting it towards the top six, I’m now tasked with taking it a stage further and getting us there, but there’s another six or seven teams thinking that.”

Robinson is already recruiting, with Mark O’Hara set to arrive from Motherwell in the summer to bolster the midfield. Rumours that the classy Steven Davis could arrive from Rangers have excited the St Mirren support, although Robinson refuses to be drawn on that one, despite having worked closely with the Northern Ireland veteran.

“I’d absolutely love to sign Steve Davis, he’s a top-class player, probably the best I’ve worked with, but I don’t want to speak about players that are under contract to the end of the season. I don’t think any manager should ever speak about anybody else’s players.”

To make room for the new recruits, players will leave, probably including some he’d prefer to keep, such as the goalkeeper Jak Alnwick, who is out of contract and attracting interest from Aberdeen, Hibs and England. If Wolverhampton Wanderers do not call Connor Ronan back to Molineux, there will also be a queue of clubs waiting to take the playmaker on loan next season after the success of this season’s stint at St Mirren.

“The budget is okay but it doesn’t have unlimited resources, so you have to be clever with what you do,” Robinson says. “I have to generate some money to bring the players I want in and a lot of money has already been committed to players, so you have to build the squad around them. Ultimately, I have to have the players I want in the team, we’re not a top-six side yet and I have to get more bodies in to help us to do that.”

The model is similar to the one he was familiar with at Motherwell, a transition to fan ownership of a community club existing in the shadows cast by Rangers and Celtic. Does that fan involvement bring additional pressure for the manager?

“Not really,” Robinson says. “I’d been at Motherwell seven years as assistant manager and manager. I’d a real connection with people there. When there’s good times you really enjoy it, but I worked hard, as every manager does, and you take things personally when it doesn’t go right. There’s nobody angrier than me after a defeat, it takes me three days to start speaking to people again.

“In terms of the fan ownership, it’s a good thing. It’s people who care, who have similar beliefs and interests. There’s no magic wand of £20 million to go and do it, but there’s a real common goal at St Mirren that they want to take the club forward and I think they have a real chance.

Wtaf?

“Rumours that the classy Steven Davis could arrive from Rangers have excited the St Mirren support, although Robinson refuses to be drawn on that one, despite having worked closely with the Northern Ireland veteran.”

2 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Wtaf?

“Rumours that the classy Steven Davis could arrive from Rangers have excited the St Mirren support, although Robinson refuses to be drawn on that one, despite having worked closely with the Northern Ireland veteran.”

News to me but I did hear he had already tied up another player for next year...  but didn't name him 

4 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

News to me but I did hear he had already tied up another player for next year...  but didn't name him 

The guy is 37. The last thing we need in our team is an ageing player on very high wages who may not even play that often. 

20 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

The guy is 37. The last thing we need in our team is an ageing player on very high wages who may not even play that often. 

Depends on a lot of things. Fitness, attitude etc but undeniable skill and midfield experience up to and including international level. 

Just now, Rascal said:

Depends on a lot of things. Fitness, attitude etc but undeniable skill and midfield experience up to and including international level. 

I don't think it would be the worst signing could so add a bit of leadership in what has been a toothless midfield this season. 

Now that he has f**ked this season?

He has taken us backwards from what he inherited

Next weekend we could be one win outside relegation play off

( obviously we ‘could’ get a surprise win )

Imagine within weeks going from potential 4th or top six to relegation play off [emoji15]

I really didn’t expect anything like that

12 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

imagine within weeks going from potential 4th or top six to relegation play off emoji15.png

TBF that's all just speculation.

No point using the extremes to prove a point. 

I'm not convinced many believed we were top 6 material, and, even now, the play off place is unlikely.

Edited by faraway saint

1 minute ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Imagine within weeks going from potential 4th or top six to relegation play off emoji15.png

Genuinely. Do you think this fall from grace has all been down to SR? How can you say that JG would have done better? Have you looked at where his new team Aberdeen are sitting? Have you missed the fact that during our last two games we were (during game time) 4th or 5th? The up and down nature of the game has seen us win in extra time, lose in extra time and score two, hit the post and concede an own goal to ensure we lost at Motherwell. What do you want with a new manager——A written guarantee? There are none available. 

3 hours ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Thinking more about the content of Robinson’s interviews: Surely someone within the club must also see his clumsy handling of interviews? I’m assuming they meet on a Monday and discuss the weekend’s result. 
It can’t be hard for someone to say  “Listen here Stevie boy, your need some media training because your choice of words is pish. Stop throwing your players, YOUR players under a bus”. Criticism is for private moments. Is he too thick to realise that confidence is everything?. He has as good as said he has no confidence in most of the players.
How then does he expect them to react on the pitch? An employee in any profession functions better when they know that their boss believes in them.

it doesn’t matter if they are footballers or window cleaners, if you hear that your boss thinks you’re a diddy there is no way you will give 100%.

I always give 100%

Genuinely. Do you think this fall from grace has all been down to SR? How can you say that JG would have done better? Have you looked at where his new team Aberdeen are sitting? Have you missed the fact that during our last two games we were (during game time) 4th or 5th? The up and down nature of the game has seen us win in extra time, lose in extra time and score two, hit the post and concede an own goal to ensure we lost at Motherwell. What do you want with a new manager——A written guarantee? There are none available. 

The only fact that matters is the league table

That speaks volumes

8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I did say when he signed for us that i thought he was a better option than rookie Brown or Naismith.

Both hands up to say how wrong i appear to be 🤕

We missed the boat with Naismith, I’ve heard brilliant things about him, see his hearts youth team beat Celtic 5-1 yesterday as well.

Robinson has completely destroyed the “together as one” dressing room spirit that Goodwin had nurtured. 

He has managed to alienate his players and the fans in a matter of weeks of taking the job.

Even when we were on a winless run under Goodwin we were securing draws and getting valuable points on the board.

Robinson pointing at those results when he has only managed a last minute win against Dundee is feckin mental.

I’m 100% sure that Jamie Langfield would have had us in a better position by now.

My dug would have been a better option than Robinson as he has better people skills.

3 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Imagine within weeks going from potential 4th or top six to relegation play off emoji15.png

Like everyone else I was hoping we could get into the top 6 and was even dreaming of a Scottish cup win and Europe with the riches that would follow from that.. 3 million they reckon that would have kicked the club on to another level.. but when back in the real world there wasn't a week I didn't look for the Dundee and Fakes score.

I actually think where we are in the League is a true reflection of the team Goodwin might have got us the extra few points if he hadn't left us in the shit...  our season has turned sour we should be blaming Goodwin for that not Robinson

3 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Robinson has completely destroyed the “together as one” dressing room spirit that Goodwin had nurtured. 

He has managed to alienate his players and the fans in a matter of weeks of taking the job.

Even when we were on a winless run under Goodwin we were securing draws and getting valuable points on the board.

Robinson pointing at those results when he has only managed a last minute win against Dundee is feckin mental.

I’m 100% sure that Jamie Langfield would have had us in a better position by now.

My dug would have been a better option than Robinson as he has better people skills.

No Goodwin did 

Maybe there is an element to this view but at the end of the day all Robinson had to do was consolidate what we had and leave it to the summer to put his stamp on things. His back 3 for his first match proved that he wasn't interested in what was working at the time. We'll see what happens after the summer but we really shouldn't be in the position we find ourselves now.

10 hours ago, Rascal said:

I am sympathetic with what you write but Jim Goodwin has gone. He is not coming back and his new team sit just one place above us. 

The difference between Goodwin and Robinson is that Jim inherited a losing side, whilst Robinson got one that was winning.