Stephen Robinson

TopCat

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

He's had a worse start than Stubbs, i hope i'm wrong but it's hard to see it ending well.

Since Robinson took over the results haven't been going our way but we've been playing decently in spells. Under Stubbs short spell in charge we were utterly shite, aimless, clueless, hopeless, and showed no signs of improvement or encouragement. Sacking him was absolutely the right thing to  do at the time. IMO Robinson has done enough to have convinced me that he deserves more time to fix things.

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Since Robinson took over the results haven't been going our way but we've been playing decently in spells. Under Stubbs short spell in charge we were utterly shite, aimless, clueless, hopeless, and showed no signs of improvement or encouragement. Sacking him was absolutely the right thing to  do at the time. IMO Robinson has done enough to have convinced me that he deserves more time to fix things.

I agree we've not been that far off the mark, narrow defeats and some excellent goals but the current frenzy against Robinson is starting to be very similar to the Stubbs situation.

Minds have been made up since the appointment, mixed with the usual "I hope i'm wrong" but many really don't. 

I'm pretty sure we won't be involved in any play off and we'll see what Robinson can do next season. 

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Agree Wilbur. Time people gave him an opportunity to get on with the job. Lots of changes needed and some not wanted to take place. We need our manager to be strong in the coming months and the coming season.

43 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I agree we've not been that far off the mark, narrow defeats and some excellent goals but the current frenzy against Robinson is starting to be very similar to the Stubbs situation.

Minds have been made up since the appointment, mixed with the usual "I hope i'm wrong" but many really don't. 

I'm pretty sure we won't be involved in any play off and we'll see what Robinson can do next season. 

I agree too.  I think he's tried to play a more expansive style compared to Goodwin who's football at times for me anyway would bring a tear to a glass eye.. he's realised that's not on with this team.... against Hearts in the cup I thought we were great to watch at times... at least until Hearts attacked us then our limitations were shown up ..  I'm not sorry Jim's away it got to the stage I didn't want to go to the game... Remember one game not long ago at home was listening on the Radio open all Mike's the commentator said we've played 28 minutes so far and I don't think the balls touched the ground  🙈 

28 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

I agree too.  I think he's tried to play a more expansive style compared to Goodwin who's football at times for me anyway would bring a tear to a glass eye.. he's realised that's not on with this team.... against Hearts in the cup I thought we were great to watch at times... at least until Hearts attacked us then our limitations were shown up ..  I'm not sorry Jim's away it got to the stage I didn't want to go to the game... Remember one game not long ago at home was listening on the Radio open all Mike's the commentator said we've played 28 minutes so far and I don't think the balls touched the ground  🙈 

Got to agree, I watched the Motherwell game on Saturday and was actually impressed with our attacking play, very quick one touch football, it felt like a cup game, right up until the fourth goal went in I was expecting us to equalise and perhaps even win! 
The situation is very different from the Stubbs period, Stubbs brought in a whole team of duds that could and would not have competed in the top league, where as SR has inherited a pretty decent and competent squad that is more than able to compete in this league. 

3 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I see Obika kept his usual position . Parked on the Bench and didn’t get his strip dirty . Wonder what’s going on there, he must be over his injuries and Match fit by now .🤔

Not sure they but Adams has lifted them out the relegation zone since he went in there. 

When Robinson came in I was pleased to get a manager with experience. I wasn't very impressed by the moves for Scott Brown and Stephen Naismith, both untested as club managers.

Unfortunately early results haven't been as good as we might have expected. Yes, Robinson has been working with Goodwin's players, but surely a manager with his experience should be able to do better with this decent bunch of players. Do the problems lie in the dressing-room, players not so keen to work for him as they were for JG? Possibly, but we only have rumours to go on about that.

Robinson's post-match public interviews haven't helped. After the Motherwell game on Saturday, he started by blaming the defence for having their minds 'on other things', whatever they are, then said he would shoulder the responsibility for the result and finished by talking about top six and staying in the division in almost the same breath. A bit confusing overall and I don't think that will have improved the relationship with his defenders. 

So, Robinson's first big job is to mend some fences with the players and make sure we don't fall into the playoff place.  If he can do that, then we know that there will be big changes in the summer, loan players returning to their parent clubs, others moving on etc. Let's see what his summer recruitment is like. Signing O'Hara on a pre-contract is a start, but there will be much more to do. We should judge Robinson after the first few games of next season.

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I am not calling for him to be sacked, but you must be watching a different team from me, what spells do you think we have been decent under Robinson? The only half of football i think we've played well in since his arrival was the first half against Dundee Utd, and we still went on to deservedly lose the game. 

Stubbs had eight games in charge, won two  (including a 6-0 home win to Championship Dumbarton) drew two and lost six. Against top flight teams his record was played six, won one, drawn one (at Rugby Park), lost four. He then got sacked. Robinson has played seven lost six, and we have Rangers at the weekend, so even if we disregard Stubbs games against lower league teams his record was still better than Robbo's when he got emptied. 

The new manager has taken a team that was in a fantastic position to make top six to a relegation battle in a few weeks.  It's been an absolutely remarkable decline, and i think there's a very realistic chance he will relegate us.  Would you keep him then?

14 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I am not calling for him to be sacked, but you must be watching a different team from me, what spells do you think we have been decent under Robinson? The only half of football i think we've played well in since his arrival was the first half against Dundee Utd, and we still went on to deservedly lose the game. 

Stubbs had eight games in charge, won two  (including a 6-0 home win to Championship Dumbarton) drew two and lost six. Against top flight teams his record was played six, won one, drawn one (at Rugby Park), lost four. He then got sacked. Robinson has played seven lost six, and we have Rangers at the weekend, so even if we disregard Stubbs games against lower league teams his record was still better than Robbo's when he got emptied. 

The new manager has taken a team that was in a fantastic position to make top six to a relegation battle in a few weeks.  It's been an absolutely remarkable decline, and i think there's a very realistic chance he will relegate us.  Would you keep him then?

There is a key difference IMO. Alan Stubbs took over in the summer and recruited a number of players. These turned out to be poor signings. Action was taken to replace him then in early season and have the incoming manager ship out those he could, stabilise things and then move on. Stephen Robinson has been brought in mid seasons with a dozen or so games to go with the club in a good position in a very tightly contested league. JG has moved and marginally improved his new teams position with very similar results to Robinson. Both could still make top six and both could still be in a relegation fight. Not a cigarette paper between the two. One is treated as a hero and the other an outright villain. Neither approach is correct. We need to buckle up and enjoy the ride. It’s going to be bumpy!

Edited by Rascal

I would say that this makes things abundantly clear. I don’t blame him. It would be part of his job to have early discussions with each of them. It looks like he doesn’t like what he found. Don’t shoot the messenger. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/stephen-robinson-tells-wantaway-st-26645681

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Stubbs had to go before he bankrupted the club he signed Josh Heaton for 70K  and was on the verge of signing this guy ⬇️ on a 3 year deal and 10,000 calories a day....   

Here he is going through his paces at Ralston the day Stubbs got the bullet 

krispy kreme people GIF

18 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Stubbs had to go before he bankrupted the club he signed Josh Heaton for 70K  and was on the verge of signing this guy ⬇️ on a 3 year deal and 10,000 calories a day....   

krispy kreme people GIF

Who gave you permission to use my photograph Mr P?

43 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I would say that this makes things abundantly clear. I don’t blame him. It would be part of his job to have early discussions with each of them. It looks like he doesn’t like what he found. Don’t shoot the messenger. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/stephen-robinson-tells-wantaway-st-26645681

Really?? None of the players, and we don't actually know who they are, have had any right of reply. You are taking one man, absolutely at his word, and saying that makes everything "abundantly clear". I'm not saying he is being dishonest but one of my biggest concerns is the mixed messaging we have had from SR since his arrival, double-speak at it's worst.

1 hour ago, WeeBud said:

Really?? None of the players, and we don't actually know who they are, have had any right of reply. You are taking one man, absolutely at his word, and saying that makes everything "abundantly clear". I'm not saying he is being dishonest but one of my biggest concerns is the mixed messaging we have had from SR since his arrival, double-speak at it's worst.

I am indeed. If he is wrong then in time he will pay the price that most managers pay but for now I am strongly minded to take him at face value. Having 11 first team squad members contracts finish at the same time this summer seems to be a mistake that you couldn’t hold the new manager responsible for. He inevitably would have one to ones with players where they would make clear what their intentions were. Nothing new here. 

52 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I am indeed. If he is wrong then in time he will pay the price that most managers pay but for now I am strongly minded to take him at face value. Having 11 first team squad members contracts finish at the same time this summer seems to be a mistake that you couldn’t hold the new manager responsible for. He inevitably would have one to ones with players where they would make clear what their intentions were. Nothing new here. 

So by that premise they were going to down tools anyway irrespective of who was in charge....sorry but I don't buy it as being that simple.

Stubbs had to go before he bankrupted the club he signed Josh Heaton for 70K  and was on the verge of signing this guy [emoji3596] on a 3 year deal and 10,000 calories a day....   
200.gif

FFS... I can trap a ball 100 yards. No other player can do that. My mate Stubbsy was willing to give me a chance!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

On 4/4/2022 at 10:55 PM, Rascal said:

We have, I believe, 11 players in the squad who’s contracts run out, or loan period ends at the end of the season. Whatever Robinson is accused off that wasn’t his doing.  Little in the way of a surprise that he has started recruiting for next season already. It’s easy to see where friction would arise between manager and players as he sounds them out or them him on plans for the coming season. Jim had already shipped some out in the January window with more to come. This doesn’t excuse him or the players of putting in poor performances but going on winning or losing streaks seems to have been the norm for every team outside the top 3 and the bottom team. Consequently, the form guide based on the last six matches may not tell the whole story. Still worrying though as a fan.

Even allowing for all the above; it's never nice to see anyone sidestepping all fault even though they are in charge.   In interviews he seems nervous and operates in extremes, ie ' brilliant play' to 'diabolical defending', Goodwin kept a fairly level head, I'm afraid Robinson does not inspire confidence in me,  put it this way, I wouldn't buy a second hand car from the guy.

Just now, antrin said:

It doesn’t seem to have been doublespeak by JG.  He says…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61013868

I read that later Mr A. Maybe it’s the old cynic in me (old certainly) but that rather neatly gets rid of a problem with a club legend. It’s Widnes me Mr, As I said……old and cynical. Ruthless in a velvet glove?