Stephen Robinson

TopCat

19 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I read that later Mr A. Maybe it’s the old cynic in me (old certainly) but that rather neatly gets rid of a problem with a club legend. It’s Widnes me Mr, As I said……old and cynical. Ruthless in a velvet glove?

Widnes?

Well known for chemical plants and rugby. Wtaf has this got to do with Scottish fitba?

2 hours ago, Rascal said:

I read that later Mr A. Maybe it’s the old cynic in me (old certainly) but that rather neatly gets rid of a problem with a club legend. It’s Widnes me Mr, As I said……old and cynical. Ruthless in a velvet glove?

Eh?  :unsure:

2 hours ago, antrin said:

It doesn’t seem to have been doublespeak by JG.  He says…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61013868

I want 50% rise and a 2 year deal along with my coaching job... that's utter shite.... maybe his agent asked for that chanceing his hand... that's their job... I know who I wouldn't want standing behind me at the bus stop 

14 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

And Ricky what have I told you about skipping your meds before breakfast 

I certainly should. And put my reading glasses on and check for predictive text. “ It wisnae me” said Jim in an ever so media friendly way. 10/10 for Jim. By the way in case anyone is interested in the latest news from Runcorn and Widnes the link below will take you there. I can hear the “haud me backs already” https://www.runcornandwidnesworld.co.uk/mostpopular/

Morecambe fan here! 

As you can imagine, a great many of us south of the border are keeping a bit of an eye on what's going on at St Mirren. There is a certain element of schadenfreude about the situation - although to be clear this is directed entirely at Robinson and O'Carroll, and not at St Mirren fans! 

For the lowdown on Robinson with us - he came in at quite a difficult time. He only had three contracted players and essentially had to build a large amount of the squad from scratch. Not to mention he was starting a month behind most clubs due our play-off campaign. 

He recruited some decent players but there were unfortunately a couple of pretty key gaps - a big aerial centre back, a defensive midfielder and our goalkeepers were very poor. 

Started the season well, I think largely due to 'good vibes' following promotion and Cole Stockton being ridiculously good, but then around November/December the weaknesses began to catch up with us and our form and results took an absolute nosedive. 

Robinson generally blamed personnel (although he did admit responsibility for this in his recruitment) and in fairness to him, he wasn't wrong. Anthony O'Connor has been a good signing at the back but his centre back partners were incredible weak, and he had goalkeepers underperforming behind him. I thought the set-up of the team overall was good and we pressed very smartly and efficiently, but every time the opposition got into our final third it was always incredibly dangerous. 

Come January, Robinson absolutely sorted those problems out. Got a good keeper in Trevor Carson, a couple of good centre backs and a defensive midfielder to be used when called for. Suddenly, we looked far stronger as a team and even our attacking productivity even improved as well - guessing this was partly due to them having more confidence in our defence. Also helped that our two best attacking midfielders managed to shake off some injury troubles.

Got a couple of great wins in January, and performances continued to be at a high standard into February. Despite results not going our way, a lot of this was due to bad luck, some bizarre circumstances and good goalkeeping/bad finishing. I'd cautiously predict that if Robinson had stayed, results would have started to turn in our favour a bit more often as the performances were there. 

So the irony is, he left just as he was beginning to sort things out and find a bit of a groove. Now he appears to be back at square one with St Mirren, albeit with a vastly higher salary! I'd say he is a good manager and worth giving time to, but results have gone to pot particularly drastically which is quite alarming. Not sure he's got much of a leg to stand on if you get relegated - although I'm not sure how likely this is as I'm not too clued up on the teams around you etc. 

Oh and an Obika update! He's just been incredibly unfortunate. Got a massive hamstring injury in pre-season which kept him out until the end of December, and then understandably took time to find a bit of mojo again. He's also playing second fiddle to Stockton, who is absolutely undroppable and has been incredible this season with 21 league goals. 

30 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

And Ricky what have I told you about skipping your meds before breakfast 

“ It wisnae me” said Jim in an ever so media friendly way. 10/10 for Jim. Aberdeen fans are split. Not easy for new managers as they take tough decisions. https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/4143140/aberdeen-fans-have-say-on-andy-considine-contract-saga/

17 minutes ago, Potted Shrimps said:

Morecambe fan here! 

As you can imagine, a great many of us south of the border are keeping a bit of an eye on what's going on at St Mirren. There is a certain element of schadenfreude about the situation - although to be clear this is directed entirely at Robinson and O'Carroll, and not at St Mirren fans! 

For the lowdown on Robinson with us - he came in at quite a difficult time. He only had three contracted players and essentially had to build a large amount of the squad from scratch. Not to mention he was starting a month behind most clubs due our play-off campaign. 

He recruited some decent players but there were unfortunately a couple of pretty key gaps - a big aerial centre back, a defensive midfielder and our goalkeepers were very poor. 

Started the season well, I think largely due to 'good vibes' following promotion and Cole Stockton being ridiculously good, but then around November/December the weaknesses began to catch up with us and our form and results took an absolute nosedive. 

Robinson generally blamed personnel (although he did admit responsibility for this in his recruitment) and in fairness to him, he wasn't wrong. Anthony O'Connor has been a good signing at the back but his centre back partners were incredible weak, and he had goalkeepers underperforming behind him. I thought the set-up of the team overall was good and we pressed very smartly and efficiently, but every time the opposition got into our final third it was always incredibly dangerous. 

Come January, Robinson absolutely sorted those problems out. Got a good keeper in Trevor Carson, a couple of good centre backs and a defensive midfielder to be used when called for. Suddenly, we looked far stronger as a team and even our attacking productivity even improved as well - guessing this was partly due to them having more confidence in our defence. Also helped that our two best attacking midfielders managed to shake off some injury troubles.

Got a couple of great wins in January, and performances continued to be at a high standard into February. Despite results not going our way, a lot of this was due to bad luck, some bizarre circumstances and good goalkeeping/bad finishing. I'd cautiously predict that if Robinson had stayed, results would have started to turn in our favour a bit more often as the performances were there. 

So the irony is, he left just as he was beginning to sort things out and find a bit of a groove. Now he appears to be back at square one with St Mirren, albeit with a vastly higher salary! I'd say he is a good manager and worth giving time to, but results have gone to pot particularly drastically which is quite alarming. Not sure he's got much of a leg to stand on if you get relegated - although I'm not sure how likely this is as I'm not too clued up on the teams around you etc. 

Oh and an Obika update! He's just been incredibly unfortunate. Got a massive hamstring injury in pre-season which kept him out until the end of December, and then understandably took time to find a bit of mojo again. He's also playing second fiddle to Stockton, who is absolutely undroppable and has been incredible this season with 21 league goals. 

Thanks Shrimper. Great post.

On 4/4/2022 at 7:17 PM, Ethan said:

The bottom 6 teams are bottom on merit and will all be devoid of confidence. We go into these fixtures on the same footing. Get our defence playing tight again and we should be ok. 

Dundee have turned in some good recent performances and results, they also deserved a share of the points in their recent game with saints.  I think their confidence will be high and their crisis expert, Danny Mullen, is looking a lot better recently

St Johnstone have also rallied very recently and Aberdeen could kick on-I'd say that the most obvious lack of confidence is within our ranks

4 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Dundee have turned in some good recent performances and results, they also deserved a share of the points in their recent game with saints.  I think their confidence will be high and their crisis expert, Danny Mullen, is looking a lot better recently

St Johnstone have also rallied very recently and Aberdeen could kick on-I'd say that the most obvious lack of confidence is within our ranks

Without a doubt 

1 hour ago, portmahomack saint said:

I want 50% rise and a 2 year deal along with my coaching job... that's utter shite.... maybe his agent asked for that chanceing his hand... that's their job... I know who I wouldn't want standing behind me at the bus stop 

30 minutes ago, Rascal said:

“ It wisnae me” said Jim in an ever so media friendly way. 10/10 for Jim. Aberdeen fans are split. Not easy for new managers as they take tough decisions. https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/4143140/aberdeen-fans-have-say-on-andy-considine-contract-saga/

How right was I   :whistle  

P.S  Good to see Jim has learned a few tricks from Shull and the boys on our forum....  with the Ian Gillander alias  :lol: 

Edited by portmahomack saint

From Pie and Bovril - Aberdeen 

ago
   1 hour ago,  SuperSaints1877 said: 

Robinson has already told some of our squad they are not wanted next season which is fcuking mental management.

Goodwin seems to have done the same at Pittodrie.

The Considine shambles, Jet reportedly leaving next week, another report leaked of 4/5 players told they won’t be back next season. 
Seems crazy with so many games to go. Surely you have to utilise whatever you can get from whats at your disposal until the summer?

It is possible also to argue that the team has got worse since Goodwin took over.

It’s too early to judge fairly, but there have to be early reservations and let’s be honest, Goodwin has achieved

You can look at it another way, though. Tell players they're not wanted, they play shite, you lose, you blame it on the last manager's player choice. You then bring your own in over the summer and you haven't got a high target to show "improvement" and that you are a "better" manager than the last guy.

On 2/21/2022 at 5:56 PM, FTOF said:

More drivel.

Quote below from P&B.

Motherwell fans seemed to rate SR and enjoyed periods of success with him at the helm which were better in league and cups than we had in the same period. Time and support is needed. Change of managers is always a gamble for both clubs and the individual managers. Look at Sean Maloney, Jack Ross, Jim Goodwin and at present Stephen Robinson.

Our change of manager was forced on us, at probably the worst time. Time will tell if Robinson was the right choice but, if the rumours were true that he told players they had no future while still needing them to perform due to the size of the squad, then this kind of suggests a naivety which is not, in my opinion, a good sign. He either assumed we were safe which is being proven wrong or he thought players would not down tools after being informed they were surplus to requirement. I only hope the camaraderie within the camp is such that those players will play for their friends if not for their manager. We still have a good nucleus of a team capable of saving our season. I hope we have a manager who can utilise this.

12 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Our change of manager was forced on us, at probably the worst time. Time will tell if Robinson was the right choice but, if the rumours were true that he told players they had no future while still needing them to perform due to the size of the squad, then this kind of suggests a naivety which is not, in my opinion, a good sign. He either assumed we were safe which is being proven wrong or he thought players would not down tools after being informed they were surplus to requirement. I only hope the camaraderie within the camp is such that those players will play for their friends if not for their manager. We still have a good nucleus of a team capable of saving our season. I hope we have a manager who can utilise this.

I would have been happy for Jamie , Andy and Alan running things until the end of the season , we would have finished top 4 IMO.

10 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

I would have been happy for Jamie , Andy and Alan running things until the end of the season , we would have finished top 4 IMO.

I'm not convinced we would have done much better. Our very good run included a couple of games we would have been ashamed of losing and, if I'm honest, a couple we were lucky to win. I do think certain players would have been looking beyond us even if we had kept things going with the backroom staff. I don't think we would have been any worse off but every appointment comes with risk. I hope we get through this relatively unscathed and then are able to judge Robinson with a pre season in the bag with his squad.

Edited by stlucifer

26 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Not convinced we would have but there was certainly a chance and that's now, obviously, gone. 

We are where we are most seasons but it should be remembered we have not been flirting with relegation, and I still very much doubt that's going to happen this season. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Not convinced we would have but there was certainly a chance and that's now, obviously, gone. 

We are where we are most seasons but it should be remembered we have not been flirting with relegation, and I still very much doubt that's going to happen this season. 

I do think they would have managed more than one solitary injury time win against Dundee.

It’s probably out with his reach to take us straight down, as Dundee are pretty far behind, but the play offs look nailed on at the moment. Assuming the board are too scared or embarrassed to admit Robinson was a catastrophic appointment, he is likely to be allowed to continue to the seasons end. I’ve already made my mind up a few weeks ago that he should be dismissed, but today’s performance, which could and should have been an even heavier defeat, ought to convince even the happiest of clappers. 

Just now, Saint@Johnstone said:

It’s probably out with his reach to take us straight down, as Dundee are pretty far behind, but the play offs look nailed on at the moment. Assuming the board are too scared or embarrassed to admit Robinson was a catastrophic appointment, he is likely to be allowed to continue to the seasons end. I’ve already made my mind up a few weeks ago that he should be dismissed, but today’s performance, which could and should have been an even heavier defeat, ought to convince even the happiest of clappers. 

The playoffs do not look nailed on, we have a six point cushion over St Johnstone with 15 to play for. 

Edited by bazil85

Just now, Saint@Johnstone said:

Phew ! That’s ok then. I thought we were in trouble for a minute there. 

It’s just a complete exaggeration. There is an outside chance of us ending up in the play-offs. If we win one of those five games, St Johnstone need to win three, just to level us on points. 

24 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Agree that we are looking at a real possibility of the playoffs on our current trajectory. I don’t think we can afford to bin Robinson, both financially and reputation wise. He’s only been here for 9 games, but he’s turned the team into an absolute car crash.

I was actually happy with his appointment, seemed a safe experienced pair of hands coming into a club that were on a strong run of form. 
His man management style seems to be similar to Stubbs and he’s obviously got it wrong.
Yes, the players need to take a proper look at themselves but it’s a manager’s job to get the best out of his players’ effort and self-belief wise. He’s failed miserably and it only seems to be getting worse. I don’t buy all the chat saying they’re not his players. That shouldn’t  matter; he’s getting paid to manage a group of professional footballers that are capable of so much more. 
He needs to somehow turn it around and get back to something like the first half against Utd. That second half and his post match interviews were a depressing turning point. 

Edited by Balmullo Bud