Stephen Robinson

TopCat

The Motherwell game when we were winning till the 94th minute? County was 0-0 with nothing in it, didn't think either team deserved to win that.  None of the performances this season under Goodwin (apart from Dundee at home) were anything like as bad as what we've seen in the last month IMO.

Motherwell and Ross County are teams we need to beat at home to make top 6. We were crap against Motherwell. Not that they were much better but we were very lucky to be winning and their equaliser was well deserved even if it did need a gift from us. As for the Ross County game Alnwick opening criticised the team for how bad we were. We only got a draw in that game because of the saves Jak pulled off.

FWIW I think if Jim had stayed we wouldn’t have been great but we would have got a result from somewhere and scraped top 6.

1 hour ago, andrew87 said:

Motherwell and Ross County are teams we need to beat at home to make top 6. We were crap against Motherwell. Not that they were much better but we were very lucky to be winning and their equaliser was well deserved even if it did need a gift from us. As for the Ross County game Alnwick opening criticised the team for how bad we were. We only got a draw in that game because of the saves Jak pulled off.

FWIW I think if Jim had stayed we wouldn’t have been great but we would have got a result from somewhere and scraped top 6.

I think you are right, we might have scraped into the top 6 and be feeling good right now despite “patchy” performances during the season. We were certainly the “draw kings” in the division and for a while the 4th best points per game team in the league. I don’t blame Jim for going but neither do I heap all of the blame for what has happened since he left on SR. He is the manager however and either blame or praise comes your way based on results and the ambitions of the club. In Aberdeen’s case for example the work done by McInnes was considered a failure. If we had that record under him then we would be delighted. I hope we steady the ship and avoid relegation but that might have to be by way of the play offs and there are no guarantees there as we know. I am still to be convinced by SR but open to the prospect of an improved performance next season after a large turnover of players.

1 hour ago, andrew87 said:

All subjective but when the new manager took over he played the top 6 in his first 7 league games, as I recall.

All the "could have, might have" points posted by people who either have a soft spot for Goodwin, who I always believed was average, or have quickly decided Robinson is shite, are irrelevant.

We are where we are.

This weeks game is massive, even a point could almost be enough to see us hold off the dreaded play off place.

No doubt a loss would see us really in the shite.

All subjective but when the new manager took over he played the top 6 in his first 7 league games, as I recall.
All the "could have, might have" points posted by people who either have a soft spot for Goodwin, who I always believed was average, or have quickly decided Robinson is shite, are irrelevant.
We are where we are.
This weeks game is massive, even a point could almost be enough to see us hold off the dreaded play off place.

Some of the teams in the top 6 are only there because they beat us.

4 minutes ago, andrew87 said:

I would imagine they’ve beat several teams this season. My point is the teams were not in the top 6 when we played them

You make a valid point Andrew. The league was incredibly tight pre-split. I can’t recall another time when during a game we were in 4th place only to finish the match in 10th place. We had lost fewer games than 8 of the teams. Only three teams were guaranteed to be top six until very close to the split with I think the final 2 or 3 places only decided in the final round. Livingston, Aberdeen, Hibs and Ourselves missed out. All ifs and buts , but has we beaten Ross County, had we beaten Motherwell then we rather than them would be in the top six. Really tight league this year at the very top and from 4th to 10th.

11 hours ago, andrew87 said:

We literally didn't have to beat them to make top six, we were in the top six having not beaten them. Motherwell have won just one game since Boxing Day (against us of course) and they're in the top six.  You remember the County game very differently from me incidentally:

image.png.a491b39a4cd7f44286d775f426585c1c.png

More posession, more shots on goal (27 ffs), more shots on target. We weren't great that night but if anyone deserved to win it, it was us.  We had two shots on target on Saturday by the way, the drop off has been unreal. 

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

We are where we are.

Yeah from memory neither United, Motherwell or County were in the top six when they beat us. They all made it though, because they beat us. 

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

Pernickety perhaps, but I believe there were a few weeks when only 2 (or 3) teams were not in the top 6, as a sledge-load shared the same points in 3rd/4th places.

Agreed. The top 3 have been well clear for most of the season and the rest have, most of the time been closer than I can ever recall seeing it with just a few points covering 4th to 10th. Amazingly We have seen Ross County recover from rock bottom to make it into the top six after a good run of form whilst both Dundee and St Johnstone became detached at the bottom with St J clawing their way closer to the pack in recent games. What a rollercoaster of a season . Throw in the various managerial changes across the board and it hasn’t been dull , that’s for sure. Good football? That’s another matter.

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Surprised they got enough points only from us to make it into the top six. 😉

Of course they made it over the course of the season, but the three wins against us were in the run up to the split. Had any one of them lost to us they don't get enough to make it. Poor Hibs and Livi had to play us before Robinson got appointed, and missed out as a result 😁

image.png.a58c3f9575b1a72868ffaeb85e69f8db.png

Edited by TopCat

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Of course they made it over the course of the season, but the three wins against us were in the run up to the split. Had any one of them lost to us they don't get en ough to make it. Poor Hibs and Livi had to play us before Robinson got appointed, and missed out as a result 😁

Not to mention that had we beaten Dundee United, Ross County, Motherwell or Hibs then our position would look vastly different. A season when the smallest of margins have made big differences. All ifs and buts!

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Of course they made it over the course of the season, but the three wins against us were in the run up to the split. Had any one of them lost to us they don't get enough to make it. Poor Hibs and Livi had to play us before Robinson got appointed, and missed out as a result 😁

So if our last 5 games before the split had been Celtic, Sevco, Hearts, St Johnstone and Dundee then they wouldn't be in the top six because they beat us?

The fact is that if any of their wins over the first 33 games had actually been a loss (that sounds silly, but you know what I mean) then they wouldn't have made the top six.  In fact, a draw rather than a win could have seen them miss out.

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

So if our last 5 games before the split had been Celtic, Sevco, Hearts, St Johnstone and Dundee then they wouldn't be in the top six because they beat us?

The fact is that if any of their wins over the first 33 games had actually been a loss (that sounds silly, but you know what I mean) then they wouldn't have made the top six.  In fact, a draw rather than a win could have seen them miss out.

Well in the final round of fixtures we play everyone again. In the final round we played Aberdeen, Livi and Hibs before Robinson, lost none of them and none of the three made top six. We played County, Well and Dundee Utd after Robinson, lost the lot and they all made the top six.  Of course there are other factors at play, but i bet the fans of the three that missed out wished they got a shot at us under Robinson. Hibs in particular, that team they beat easily on Saturday played nothing like the team that went to Easter Road and beat them a few weeks prior. Oh well them's the breaks.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well in the final round of fixtures we play everyone again. In the final round we played Aberdeen, Livi and Hibs before Robinson, lost none of them and none of the three made top six. We played County, Well and Dundee Utd after Robinson, lost the lot and they all made the top six.  Of course there are other factors at play, but i bet the fans of the three that missed out wished they got a shot at us under Robinson. Hibs in particular, that team they beat easily on Saturday played nothing like the team that went to Easter Road and beat them a few weeks prior. Oh well them's the breaks.

As I've already mentioned (maybe on another thread, can't remember), they're not directly comparable, there are many other factors at play other than the manager.  You're the one who put the significance on playing them in the run up to the split as if that was the defining factor in why they made the top 6.

18 minutes ago, Slarti said:

As I've already mentioned (maybe on another thread, can't remember), they're not directly comparable, there are many other factors at play other than the manager.  You're the one who put the significance on playing them in the run up to the split as if that was the defining factor in why they made the top 6.

Well it was, if you take the three points they got from us off any of them they don't make the top six.  Of course, there are other factors at play, i am not disputing that. One of the factors that helped them is they got to play Robbo's St Mirren instead of Goodwin's St Mirren. 

8 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well it was, if you take the three points they got from us off any of them they don't make the top six.  Of course, there are other factors at play, i am not disputing that. One of the factors that helped them is they got to play Robbo's St Mirren instead of Goodwin's St Mirren. 

Yep.  But why is it significant that they got those 3 points in the lead up to the split?  I'll answer that for you - it isn't.

In your opinion.  More subjectivity - I'm out of this too.

4 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Yep.  But why is it significant that they got those 3 points in the lead up to the split?  I'll answer that for you - it isn't.

In your opinion.  More subjectivity - I'm out of this too.

Pretty simple really. Poor Livi, Aberdeen and Hibs got three games against a St Mirren team who weren't managed by Robbo. Lucky County, United and Motherwell only got two, and they filled their boots with three points in the other game, which was in the run up to the split. The latter three made then made the top six. 

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Pretty simple really. Poor Livi, Aberdeen and Hibs got three games against a St Mirren team who weren't managed by Robbo. Lucky County, United and Motherwell only got two, and they filled their boots with three points in the other game, which was in the run up to the split. The latter three made then made the top six. 

Clutching at straws with the anti Robbo posts... we were shite most of this season and this bollocks about 4th place was some mere second in time  - we were in the hunt for top 6 in spite of some dire and woeful  pre Robinson results. We were only in contention for top 6 because  Aberdeen & Hibs played absolutely no where near there level - we didn't deserve it and we are where we are because we cannot defend and have zero intent going forward.  This is not down to 1 manager and a handful of fixtures!!!!.  Compared to last season this was a real disappointment and this goes back to the summer transfer window and our style of play when JG was in charge . Things haven't improved I grant you but it was not pretty this season loooong before Robbo arrived 

🤷🤷🤷🤷

41 minutes ago, CraigyBoy said:

Clutching at straws with the anti Robbo posts... we were shite most of this season and this bollocks about 4th place was some mere second in time  - we were in the hunt for top 6 in spite of some dire and woeful  pre Robinson results. We were only in contention for top 6 because  Aberdeen & Hibs played absolutely no where near there level - we didn't deserve it and we are where we are because we cannot defend and have zero intent going forward.  This is not down to 1 manager and a handful of fixtures!!!!.  Compared to last season this was a real disappointment and this goes back to the summer transfer window and our style of play when JG was in charge . Things haven't improved I grant you but it was not pretty this season loooong before Robbo arrived 

🤷🤷🤷🤷

A very sensible post!