Stephen Robinson

TopCat

1 hour ago, CraigyBoy said:

Clutching at straws with the anti Robbo posts... we were shite most of this season and this bollocks about 4th place was some mere second in time  - we were in the hunt for top 6 in spite of some dire and woeful  pre Robinson results. We were only in contention for top 6 because  Aberdeen & Hibs played absolutely no where near there level - we didn't deserve it and we are where we are because we cannot defend and have zero intent going forward.  This is not down to 1 manager and a handful of fixtures!!!!.  Compared to last season this was a real disappointment and this goes back to the summer transfer window and our style of play when JG was in charge . Things haven't improved I grant you but it was not pretty this season loooong before Robbo arrived 

🤷🤷🤷🤷

What you got to remember is as I have previously posted we, as many other SPL can't attract 'big' name players but finances and status don't allow it so whoever manages them has to get the best or worst out of them depending on having some tact or not. I'm not saying that the footy pre robbo was great BUT they played as a unit. Made difficult to beat and maybe grab a win. The players got it and did bloody well imo. Nowadays the same players absolutely drained of all confidence,  look lost in whatever instructions they are given.

Surely can't be many saints fans thinking robbo is doing a great job.

More or less went in the same way as cloughie did at Leeds 

We literally didn't have to beat them to make top six, we were in the top six having not beaten them. Motherwell have won just one game since Boxing Day (against us of course) and they're in the top six.  You remember the County game very differently from me incidentally:
image.png.a491b39a4cd7f44286d775f426585c1c.png
More posession, more shots on goal (27 ffs), more shots on target. We weren't great that night but if anyone deserved to win it, it was us.  We had two shots on target on Saturday by the way, the drop off has been unreal. 

We might have had lots of shoots on goal but part of a good performance is the quality of finishing. Incidentally Jak saw it differently from you too https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19759584.jak-alnwick-pulls-no-punches-bleak-assessment-st-mirren-situation-amid-dire-run/

As for not having to beat these teams to make top 6, we didn’t win the recent games against them and we’re not top 6. Of course there aren’t teams we have a divine right to beat but if you don’t beat the teams around or below you in the league top 6 isn’t going to be possible. The 1 point we took off the top three would leave us struggling.

I fully recognise that under Robinson the performances, other than 45 minutes, against United have been dreadful but I don’t think we were world beaters under Jim. The difference is under Jim we were able to grind out results which we don’t look capable of at present

14 hours ago, andrew87 said:

I fully recognise that under Robinson the performances, other than 45 minutes, against United have been dreadful but I don’t think we were world beaters under Jim. The difference is under Jim we were able to grind out results which we don’t look capable of at present

Exactly, and grinding out results is all that's needed to be top six, as we showed up to February, when we were 4th on PPG. The ability to grind out results in this league is the difference between mid table obscurity and relegation. We certainly have never been and never will be world beaters - no one in Scotland is.  We were however a competent mid table Scottish top flight side, as the league in the last two years has consistently showed. Something we weren't for over 30 years prior and something it seems like we no longer are. 

16 hours ago, CraigyBoy said:

Clutching at straws with the anti Robbo posts... we were shite most of this season and this bollocks about 4th place was some mere second in time  - we were in the hunt for top 6 in spite of some dire and woeful  pre Robinson results. We were only in contention for top 6 because  Aberdeen & Hibs played absolutely no where near there level - we didn't deserve it and we are where we are because we cannot defend and have zero intent going forward.  This is not down to 1 manager and a handful of fixtures!!!!.  Compared to last season this was a real disappointment and this goes back to the summer transfer window and our style of play when JG was in charge . Things haven't improved I grant you but it was not pretty this season loooong before Robbo arrived 

🤷🤷🤷🤷

A mere second in time? When Jim left we were 6th, one point behind 4th with a game in hand (Against Dundee, which we went onto win). Had the season been called at that point due to a 18th COVID outbreak, we'd have finished 4th. What second are you talking about? Call it one point behind 4th with a game in hand against bottom of the league if you want, the point is the same.

Your second point is literally how league tables work. Your league position depends on how the other teams perform, are you saying that Ross County, United and Motherwell only made top six because Aberdeen and Hibs have been rubbish? Suppose you're right. St Johnstone are 11th because Dundee have been even worse than them. Killie just won the Championship because they were less rubbish than everyone else. You get compared to your peers, and a lot of them aren't very good, 'twas ever thus.  Welcome to Scottish football. 

'Compared to last season this was a real disappointment'

We were literally on exactly the same on points after 25 games this season as the previous season  :D That's the table on the day Jim left, 4th on PPG, and 13 points ahead of St Johnstone.

image.png.6368923be3d5a4868a4e60109fe90ed2.png

Here's the table from the season before after we'd played the same amount of games:

image.png.a3f89102a970d2c2d5c205e69504c528.png

As the figures show, there hadn't been any kind of decline, we were motoring along just fine, comfortably mid table, for the second season in a row. Then Robbo got his hands on us, and dragged us kicking and screaming into a relegation fight. Lose on Saturday that gap from St Johnstone will have went from 13 points to 2 points in a 10 game period.  An absolutely remarkable decline, and it's his fault. 

• 1 month later...

From P&B:

Met a guy at my friends birthday party last night who claimed to be a friend of Ryan Flynn. Some of the stuff he was claiming he had been told by Flynn doesn’t paint Robinson in the best light to say the least, and if what he said has any truth behind it I wouldn’t expect to see either Flynn or Erhahon playing any sort of part in the coming season. Obviously it’s not the best source but the guy seemed genuine, and told me this unprompted after I said I supported St Mirren. 

Some of the stuff he did say may explain a few of the terrible performances near the end of last season, apparently Robinson is a very abrasive character and doesn’t seem to mind butting heads with the players at training, quite literally in the case of Flynn and Erhahon. 

12 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Robinson come across as a passionate guy . Yes I believe he,s capable of upsetting people . Maybe his style is about getting the issue out the way and not let it build up and fester . Can't all be bad as a few former players happy to play for him again .

That's very true. Lots of players have come back to play for him, and Flynn has signed a new contract, so that's a good sign.

I was just looking at his managerial stats:

1847513511_Screenshot2022-06-2710_26_58.png.cf400dc82f8059a740d851c14e64a980.png

I would be delighted if he emulated his form at Motherwell, which accounts for the majority of his managerial career.

The signings he has brought in are a reason for optimism. I am looking forward to the new season. :) 

27 minutes ago, W6er said:

That's very true. Lots of players have come back to play for him, and Flynn has signed a new contract, so that's a good sign.

1847513511_Screenshot2022-06-2710_26_58.png.cf400dc82f8059a740d851c14e64a980.png

I would be delighted if he emulated his form at Motherwell, which accounts for the majority of his managerial career.

The signings he has brought in are a reason for optimism. I am looking forward to the new season. :) 

Yep - Agree. Bring his Motherwell performance with him and he will be a hero.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a couple people ask about a ‘Stephen Robinson Must Go’ thread last night, not yet in my opinion.

He needs a good start to the season. A run in the league cup would have been one way to do that and given us some positive momentum and him some leeway.

That disgrace of a campaign is another failure to add to his failures last season.  He now need wins in the league and we need them early.

First three games are Well at home, Aberdeen away and then County at home. A very kind start to the season and we should be targeting six points minimum from those matches, in my opinion.

Had a couple people ask about a ‘Stephen Robinson Must Go’ thread last night, not yet in my opinion.
He needs a good start to the season. A run in the league cup would have been one way to do that and given us some positive momentum and him some leeway.
That disgrace of a campaign is another failure to add to his failures last season.  He now need wins in the league and we need them early.
First three games are Well at home, Aberdeen away and then County at home. A very kind start to the season and we should be targeting six points minimum from those matches, in my opinion.
Go on, you know you want to.

Tic toc.

Rumours flying around that the BOD are already considering replacing Shitloss.

Apparently the top 3 in order of preference they are looking at are

1) Pocchetino (part-time, home working hobbie for him until he gets a proper gig)

2) Ted Lasso

3) Ashleigh and Pudsey

On 6/27/2022 at 10:31 AM, W6er said:

Glad it wasn't me that wrote this :lol:  wonder how his stats are stacking up for us now 

10 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Glad it wasn't me that wrote this :lol:  wonder how his stats are stacking up for us now 

It's still pretty much pre-season. We've had two bad results, although I think we should have beaten Arbroath. We are missing three key players...don't shite it just yet. :) 

4 minutes ago, W6er said:

It's still pretty much pre-season. We've had two bad results, although I think we should have beaten Arbroath. We are missing three key players...don't shite it just yet. :) 

The problem with that is, his signings don't look like footballers at all and his tactics won't change.

1 hour ago, W6er said:

I don’t think the BoD will be seeing these games as pre season given the budget will be based on the qualification for the later stages. 

We are playing part time teams with a fraction of our budget. It’s nowhere near good enough.

Believe it or not but there is more prize money for the League Cup than the Scottish Cup.

A cliche, I know but it is a results based game. A tough gig for those who would be managers 

We lost 4 key players at the end of the season - Alnwick, Ronan, Gocic and Power plus Jones. Only one of those by a decision made by our manager.

I very much like O’Hara, I like Gallagher and Carson (if fit) is an international goalkeeper. I haven’t seen enough of the other midfield players to judge and none of us have seen Bacchus yet. I also like Ayunga. He is big, strong and works his socks off. Not bad recruitment in that bunch but a lot to help together in games where we have made many personnel changes between and in games to get a settled side. 

I will give him time.