The Stephen Robinson & Diarmuid O'Carroll Appreciation Thread

shull

7 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Or a cynic could see this as yet another part of our club they’re controlling?

Partnership ? Feeling like a takeover

Fan ownership taking a back seat

The Kibble can't win.

They were getting it in the neck from the tinfoilers because Naismith was being considered and his dad worked for The Kibble.

Now that they've been partly responsible for appointing a manager with no connections to The Kibble some people are still having a go.:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Fingers crossed that today is the start of some sort of decent form and half decent performances.

And so today we performed well. Seven points out of the remaining nine available and we would equal last seasons points total if I remember correctly.

13 hours ago, billyg said:

The jury's still out until the end of the first quarter next season. By then , we will all know , one way or another. 

Not sure you could judge a manager's ability to build a squad from almost scratch with one quarter of a season. Disassembling the Goodwin squad, bringing in his own players and gelling them into a team will take time. Seeing signs of improvement in the likes of tactics and goals for would be a plus.

Edited by stlucifer

Not sure you could judge a manager's ability to build a squad from almost scratch with one quarter of a season. Disassembling the Goodwin squad, bringing in his own players and gelling them into a team will take time. Seeing signs of improvement in the likes of tactics and goals for would be a plus.

Well he was claiming that not having his own players over a period of 10 games was the main reason for our dreadful form. So 11 games next season with his own side should tell us if he’s got it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, billyg said:

Well he was claiming that not having his own players over a period of 10 games was the main reason for our dreadful form. So 11 games next season with his own side should tell us if he’s got it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get your logic as he wasn't suggesting the number of games had anything to do with the form. He has to get his players in and get his philosophy across. I get the impatience given his dreadful start but, unless we're really lucky, I think it will take longer to gauge how good a coach he'll be.

21 hours ago, billyg said:

The jury's still out until the end of the first quarter next season. By then , we will all know , one way or another. 

On those grounds county would have bagged Malky.  I think managers should only be sacked in transfer windows to avoid the impact it can have on other clubs losing a manager to a rival. 

17 hours ago, exiledfan said:

On those grounds county would have bagged Malky.  I think managers should only be sacked in transfer windows to avoid the impact it can have on other clubs losing a manager to a rival. 

Difference there of course that Malky was employed in the summer, not February. But yeah I would give him longer than the first quarter. For me if we are in the bottom three at Christmas (or it becomes clear we are going to be) then he should be sacked. If not, then carry on to the end of the season. 

On 5/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, TopCat said:

Difference there of course that Malky was employed in the summer, not February. But yeah I would give him longer than the first quarter. For me if we are in the bottom three at Christmas (or it becomes clear we are going to be) then he should be sacked. If not, then carry on to the end of the season. 

Why ??

What is the logic in that 

If we are looking like being isolated and cut drift then maybe a case for it ..

However,  I would take 3rd bottom with a better brand of football and youngsters being developed over 7th place and the turgid shite we have endured for vast parts of the season 

On 5/7/2022 at 5:42 PM, CraigyBoy said:

Why ??

What is the logic in that 

If we are looking like being isolated and cut drift then maybe a case for it ..

However,  I would take 3rd bottom with a better brand of football and youngsters being developed over 7th place and the turgid shite we have endured for vast parts of the season 

If you're happy with regression, fair enough, it's not for anyone to tell a fan what is or isn't good enough in their eyes. Personally i want to see progression, like we have had previously. Our last manager takes over a team who finishes 11th, we get 9th in his first season, 7th in his second season and he leaves us in 6th.  Year on year progress where we consistently and  sustainably climbed the league. Also progress in the cups, we went from zero semi finals in eight years to two in a row, and there were plenty of youngsters developed along the way.

Robinson has already said he wants to take the team forward and top six and europe is his aim, which is perfectly reasonable given the position of the team when he arrived. He won't be happy with taking the team backwards to 10th, and neither will I. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, TopCat said:

If you're happy with regression, fair enough, it's not for anyone to tell a fan what is or isn't good enough in their eyes. Personally i want to see progression, like we have had previously. Our last manager takes over a team who finishes 11th, we get 9th in his first season, 7th in his second season and he leaves us in 6th.  Year on year progress where we  we consistently and  sustainably climbed the league. Also progress in the cups, we went from zero semi finals in eight years to two in a row, and there were plenty of youngsters developed along the way.

Robinson has already said he wants to take the team forward and top six and europe is his aim, which is perfectly reasonable given the position of the team when he arrived. He won't be happy with taking the team backwards to 10th, and neither will I. 

Progress in this league is always comparative, especially in the preceding two seasons where the standard has been crap and the guf between the top two and the rest has only widened.  it might be more accurate to say that we didnt deteriorate quite as badly as most of our competitors.  

My observation was that JG started off by throwing on a lot of players who hadn;t played together before and allowed them to gel.  For the first couple of games that looked OK but then he started tinkering with personnel, tactics and formation and the result was a long streak of poor results and to me the hallmark of his time was the frequency  at which we went from shite to compatent and back to shite again.  The performance on the big stage at Hampden against St Johnstone also made it clear that the side lacked some areas of fitness

Edited by beyond our ken