The Stephen Robinson Interviews Thread

shull

I think now would be a good time to have a Q&A with the new manager.
Baz can organise the catering. I hear he is good at making omelettes.

I don’t watch manager interviews anymore

I guess the template ‘disappointing’ is rolled out

I wonder if he explains losing 7 from 8 , ruining our momentum and chance of top six ?

Like the rest of us on this forum, I want St Mirren to win every game we play, however, I am also aware that we do not have a divine right for this to happen.  This however, does not exonerate the start that Robinson has made, which, being honest, is far from brilliant (or even acceptable).

Against Motherwell, we only had 5 players on the bench, of which one was a keeper, and another was Curtis Main.  That leaves 3 players, hardly a plethora of options.  Why is that?  Goodwin in his wisdom sanctioned that younger players should be sent out on loan, as opposed to being integrated into the first team squad. The way contracts are now structured makes it difficult, (if not impossible) to recall players from loan spells. Therefore, they’re unavailable for selection, hence our shite bench

We were also credited as being defensively sound under Goodwin, we weren’t really?  We were lucky that we had very good keepers in Hladky and Alnwick.  On average we were conceding 14 shots a game.  But they were both excellent keepers.  Lyness is good, but not in the same category.  

Very rarely under Goodwin, did we play football that had us out our seats.  When we won, it was generally by the odd goal.  We played efficient football.  The season we finished 7th we were awarded 8 (eight) penalties.  We were also fortunate enough to have McGrath.  This season we have been awarded 3(three) penalties.

We also forget that this season under Goodwin we had a run of 6 games without a win.  Its easy to point the finger at Robinson, but going in anywhere as a Manager is hard, as a football manager Its harder, because you have to deliver your job in front of 4,000 experts week in, week out.    Robinson will get there, but he needs at least one, if not two, transfer windows.  He needs his own players to impose his own ideas.  Yeah, he’s made mistakes, is PR isn’t quite as good as Jack Ross or Jim Goodwin.  Likewise, he doesn’t have the kudos of a previous connection to the club.  We need to remember that Jim (I’m here for the long haul) Goodwin jumped ship at the first opportunity, as did Jack (I’ll whore myself to the highest bidder) Ross.  Robinson has come in under very trying circumstances, and has really had no time so far.   He’ll get there though.

I think we’ll stay up.  It might be bumpy, but that’s the St Mirren way.  The future will be brighter.

4 hours ago, charlie said:

Like the rest of us on this forum, I want St Mirren to win every game we play, however, I am also aware that we do not have a divine right for this to happen.  This however, does not exonerate the start that Robinson has made, which, being honest, is far from brilliant (or even acceptable).

Against Motherwell, we only had 5 players on the bench, of which one was a keeper, and another was Curtis Main.  That leaves 3 players, hardly a plethora of options.  Why is that?  Goodwin in his wisdom sanctioned that younger players should be sent out on loan, as opposed to being integrated into the first team squad. The way contracts are now structured makes it difficult, (if not impossible) to recall players from loan spells. Therefore, they’re unavailable for selection, hence our shite bench

We were also credited as being defensively sound under Goodwin, we weren’t really?  We were lucky that we had very good keepers in Hladky and Alnwick.  On average we were conceding 14 shots a game.  But they were both excellent keepers.  Lyness is good, but not in the same category.  

Very rarely under Goodwin, did we play football that had us out our seats.  When we won, it was generally by the odd goal.  We played efficient football.  The season we finished 7th we were awarded 8 (eight) penalties.  We were also fortunate enough to have McGrath.  This season we have been awarded 3(three) penalties.

We also forget that this season under Goodwin we had a run of 6 games without a win.  Its easy to point the finger at Robinson, but going in anywhere as a Manager is hard, as a football manager Its harder, because you have to deliver your job in front of 4,000 experts week in, week out.    Robinson will get there, but he needs at least one, if not two, transfer windows.  He needs his own players to impose his own ideas.  Yeah, he’s made mistakes, is PR isn’t quite as good as Jack Ross or Jim Goodwin.  Likewise, he doesn’t have the kudos of a previous connection to the club.  We need to remember that Jim (I’m here for the long haul) Goodwin jumped ship at the first opportunity, as did Jack (I’ll whore myself to the highest bidder) Ross.  Robinson has come in under very trying circumstances, and has really had no time so far.   He’ll get there though.

I think we’ll stay up.  It might be bumpy, but that’s the St Mirren way.  The future will be brighter.

It’s ok Stephen…..erm…..I mean Charlie.

We’ll give you a bit more time. 

He has had 2 poor results Motherwell and county. Utd happens, Goodwins team lost a number of late goals especially important ones accies last season.

The issue I have is that he does not install confidence we can get a result all he had to do was keep doing what Jim did then change it for next season.

I think a number of players are going through the motions a major rebuild is required in the summer if we don't finish top 6 where is the finance coming from?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, gorgo said:

He has had 2 poor results Motherwell and county. Utd happens, Goodwins team lost a number of late goals especially important ones accies last season.

The issue I have is that he does not install confidence we can get a result all he had to do was keep doing what Jim did then change it for next season.

I think a number of players are going through the motions a major rebuild is required in the summer if we don't finish top 6 where is the finance coming from?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

We won’t be top 6 that ship has sailed , I just hope we don’t end up in the playoffs.

9 hours ago, Hagleybuddies said:

That’s the problem, ‘we are a small club’. Where is the vision Steve?
What are we aiming for? A no bad small club? FFS!

Like it or not, we are a "small club".

Performances over the past 20 years haven't done anything to prove that wrong.

See this truth stuff? It'll never catch on.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Like it or not, we are a "small club".

Performances over the past 20 years haven't done anything to prove that wrong.

See this truth stuff? It'll never catch on.

Not much difference between us and Motherwell in size though mate.

26 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Not much difference between us and Motherwell in size though mate.

I agree.

However, he didn't comment on Motherwell, so I don't know whether he thinks they're a "wee club" too.

15 minutes ago, billyg said:

I can't watch his interviews , full of soundbites for the masses and the rest is  tripe , the only other manager that  I couldn't listen to was Tommy Craig. 

Alex Rae, Alan Stubbs, Davie Hay are others.